General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #1  

Default Uterine Fibroids & Options

I have been told that I have 3 large fibroid tumors in my uterus. The OB/Gyn I saw last week has given me the following options: myomectomy, laproscopy, lupron injections or an arterial procedure. I have a friend who had the lupron injections and I'm not very excited about the injections, nor the menopause effects. My mom had a hysterectomy. The laproscopy and arterial procedures are still a bit experimental and may hinder conception or complications.

Because I am single and 31, the jury is still out for children. I really don't think I want them, but who knows and so a hysterectomy is off the table.

The pill, which I though would be an option, is not b/c although it would make my periods easier, the estrogen & progesterone can make the tumors bigger.

I have a second opinion appt. next Friday and then we will go from there.
After finding out about this a couple of weeks ago from my family physician and following the ultrasound, the way I have been feeling makes total sense. I have had horrible cramps, extreme flow and extended periods, sometimes 2x a month. The rest of the time, the bloaty belly that I thought came w/turning 30 is those little boogers, along w/the constant pressure and back pain. Plus, they are somehow putting pressure on my urinary and gastrointestinal tracts! And I have become queen of colon cleaners!

YAY!!!!! Anyway, my first thought is to get them taken out, but I would love to get input from others who have dealt w/this. I'm looking for any input anyone can give on their experiences.

Thank you!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #2  

I am a nurse. As young as your are I would advise a myomectomy. I know some one that had it done and then had a child a few years later.
No further problems. The Lupron has awful side effects.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #3  

Do you have anyone in your city that can do an embolization? That's a non-surgical procedure in which they obstruct blood flow, therefore reducing the size of the fibroids. It's done by a radiologist.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #4  

Thank you, Nora! I think I'm leaning more toward the myomectomy.

Boarderchick: My OB/Gyn also mentioned that, but he said that there has been no research that could proove that child bearing is possible after the procedure. Do you know anyone who has had it?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #5  

Yes I do, but none that have had kids yet. The OB's where I am are doing it fairly frequently on younger women. I'll try and find some research...
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #6  

The most recent thing is that folks should wait to become pregnant for 6-12 months after embolization, just did a quick literature review. Use uterine artery embolization as a search word on the internet and you'll find some patient information websites. Good luck to you.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #7  

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #8  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

txlawchic - I am in the same boat! I am 32, haven't made the decision about children and have an 8cm fibroid that needs to be removed. I just had an appointment on Monday where amoung other things they handed me a dvd titled "your hysterectomy options" - not something I want to do at this stage in my life. They need to do a saline sonogram before determining what procedure they think I need, so for now I am holding tight. I have also read/heard that embolization can cause infertility, but need to do more research.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #9  

Wow, Nancy. I can not believe they gave you that DVD. Really, that should be the last option, but I have read that that used to be the ONLY option.

Is it just me or is it absolutely creepy to know these "alien" beings are hanging out in there. WOW!

I spoke to the OB/GYN this morning and he gave me the low down as far as the myomectomy's recovery. Two day hospital stay, 2 weeks no driving and 6 to 8 weeks no strenuous exercise. So much for completion of my running club. I am really bothered by not being able to work out and laying around for a couple of weeks.

Are you having your sonogram soon? Do you know anyone who has gone through this? Have you had any symptoms or problems associated w/the fibroids? Someone told me that I could just live w/them, but if they had to lie w/what I have to go through monthy and what it feels like to walk around w/these, their tune would change, definitely.

So, we shall see. One more doctor to speak to next week! Please keep me posted w/your progress through this process.

Torrey
Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

The DVD did kind of freak me out, but she also gave me other information on fibroids in general. She is one of those doctors that want to give the patient all of the information and options, which honestly I prefer over someone who didn't want to divulge info. For me it really isn't an option not to do something because I am pretty much bleeding non-stop now (not too heavy, but constant). My regular gyn found it after I had a bout of extremely heavy bleeding in December. I was actually standing in my office talking to a coworker, felt a gush and looked down to see blood all over the floor - and I was wearing a pad! Luckily I was standing over a plastic chair mat and since I was standing behind my desk the other person didn't notice. It was really disconcerting, and definitely something I can't live with. Luckily I haven't had that type of heavy bleeding since then, but it could happen again at any time.

Unfortunately I can't have the sonogram until April 14th. First they had to take cultures to test for STDs (a requirement of the procedure) and then it has to be timed at a certain point in my cycle. So - more waiting. Even then she may decide she also needs to do an MRI to be sure of its exact size and location. The idea of the hospital stay, the no driving and 6 weeks recovery really got me down. I can work at home, so I wouldn't need to take all of that as vacation, but I would still need to be off for a good bit.

I can definitely relate on the creepy part. The thing I keep trying to remind myself of is that they aren't cancerous - that would be much worse.
Closed Thread