General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #1  

Default what do you recommend for a few nights in VEGAS?

Any Ideas?

L
Old 03-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #2  

We stayed at the flamingo last April, and it was amazing. Probably my advice to you is stay somewhere on the strip. That way you are right in the middle of all of the action, since you are only there for a few days. It is definately the city that never sleeps, and be prepared to wake up early, and go to bed late... you just go go go! The good thing about the Flamingo was that it was fairly in the middle of the strip... so depending on where you wanted to go, it was in walking distance, and it was also attached to the monorail.

Let me know if you have any questions... and enjoy!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #3  

we are staying at mandalay bay? Greek to me!

L
Old 03-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

The Mandalay Bay is very nice ~ what to do at night depends on your interests, have you been there before? Tickets can be difficult to get to the better shows ~ because I don't know anything about schedule, etc. I suggest talking to the folks at Mandalay Bay for help as soon as possible so you are prepared.

From the Mandalay Bay you can take the tram and see a lot of hotels pretty easily.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #5  

Mandalay Bay is very nice, and the tram makes the rest of the strip accessible. The pool area can get very crowded during spring break - lots of kids. It may be a good idea to try to get tickets to shows before you go rather than wait until you get there - the better shows sell out quickly. Sometimes the concierge can help you locate those tickets.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Thumbs up

L-O-V-E Vegas! Go to Vegas.com you will find everything you need to know or want to know! There's just too much too do and it depends on your interests so the site might help ya some. Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #7  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

be prepared to do a lot of walking - it's great if you eat a buffet because you can just walk off the calories

definitely make a point to watch the Bellagio water show - it's way cool.

I personally think the show tickets are way too expensive - i'd rather gamble or window shop than go spend $150 per person on a show.

Caesar's is really neat too...just looking around is really cool
Old 03-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #8  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I'm another one who just LOVES vacationing in Vegas and I don't even gamble! I like to have a return on my money so whatever money hubby makes gambling at night, I spend during the day shopping!!! Lots of shopping in Vegas to be had. Outlet malls just on the outskirts of the strip or downtown, or even just the shops at the big hotels: Ceasars Forum Shoppes, the Dessert Passage shops at the Alladin... just seeing the different hotels are entertainment enough.

Mandalay Bay is on the south end of the strip but like the others said, you can catch the monorail to take you more towards the center part (i.e. Bally's, The Flamingo, Caesars Palace area). Or, just take a walk through the hotel, see the shark reef (very cool, and around $15?, maybe less for hotel guests) and head out and up the strip. If you go even halfway up the strip that's a good walking workout.

I've seen the Celine Dion "A New Day" show, pricey but worth it; Penn & Teller at the Rio was entertaining as well. I would recommend going online and researching the shows playing, or just grabbing a Vegas entertainment magazine as soon as you arrive. Tons of stuff to do and see, some free, some very expensive. It all depends on you. Good luck and have a great time.

p.s. another thing I like to do while in Vegas (especially if you have a nice room in a swanky hotel like Mandalay) is just stay in and have fun

Last edited by melekalikimaka; 03-06-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #9  

Height: 5"4

Hee Hee Hee All I think of every time I see this thread is those commercials with the 2 women telling all those different men their names are Lucy and Ethel, Wilma and Betty and so forth. I'm a nut. I know..lol
Old 03-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #10  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

I second Emily's suggestion on the Bellagio water show. LOVED IT!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #11  

One thing that you should definitely do is to go to all of the different hotels on the strip. They are amazing and you will feel like you went to Italy, Paris, Eygpt... all in one trip!

Gambling is so fun too! I wasn't sure that I would like it, but then I got there and had a ball.

There is also great shopping, if you like that.

The shows are absolutely amazing and I think that the shows are def. worth the $$$.

Have fun, whatever you do
Old 03-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #12  

Oh... the shopping is great! The Desert Passages at the Aladin was great. Before I went down to vegas, I had so many people telling me not to waste my time with shopping because it's so expensive. I was very dissapointed with this advice, because I didn't bring as much money as I'd like to have, and the shopping was great. Good deals for sure! I mean, of course some stores are expensive... D&G, Chanel, etc... but I wasn't shopping there. We took the bus up to the outlet stores... I have no idea if it was the north or the south ones... (the ones that you went by the Circus Circus). The outlets were great! Definately plan on going out there, it's right by Freemont street!

We got free tickets to see Jubilee and dinner at Bally's because we sat and listened to a 1 hour timeshare show through the Hilton Flamingo. It was worth it. Jubilee was amazing, great costumes... the show was topless, but very tasteful! and it was free... even better!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #13  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds81
We took the bus up to the outlet stores... I have no idea if it was the north or the south ones... (the ones that you went by the Circus Circus). The outlets were great! Definately plan on going out there, it's right by Freemont street!
My home away from home

Las Vegas Premium Outlets: 875 S. Grand Central Parkway, LV, NV 89106

Definitely check out Vegas.com as Cristi said, very helpful in planning.

I almost forgot, there are tons of nightclubs, both in the hotels and elsewhere. The cover charges at hotel clubs are usually very high and you have to wait hours in line to get in... since a lot of celebrities like to see and be seen in Vegas, a lot of these clubs are just plain hard to get in for us regular folk
Old 03-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Been to Vegas twice, and frankly, I can't tell ya a thing about it. Maybe I shoulda got my nose outta the slots once in awhile, eh? LOL I did break away once to see the Circ du Solei (sp?). I'd highly recommend it. Great show.

Oh...and if you do get to Caesars, don't get lost at the slots and forget that night is falling and you still need to get back to your hotel. Those streets aren't a place to be wandering in alone at night. I just tucked my wallet and camera down into my pants and stayed right behind some elderly couple as far as they were going and nearly ran back to my hotel. LOL

I've stayed at both the Flamingo and the Tropicana. I think I preferred the Tropicana, but they were both good.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #15  

Thanks everyone I am getting more excited by the moment!

Liz
Closed Thread