General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default How Do U Deal With TOM?

Ok the past 3 days I've been feeling really down...had the feeling of 'whats the point, I'll never lose weight' and the scale went back up 2lbs...I had no idea why I felt so crappy then it dawned on...this is my time of the month..no wonder I feel crappy and the scale is up 2lbs...so then I thought 'hey the scale could jump down 4lbs next week that would be awesome' which kinda made me feel worse b/c then I realized I have to keep on my program this week, which is going to be hard, I have had these crazy cravings the past couple days, and I had been giving in b/c of the whole 'whats the point in trying?' feeling....so I dont want to give in now b/c I want to see a jump on the scale next week but thats going to be hard b/c TOM cravings are the WORST.

I dont always get cravings during my TOM, and every other time I have I've just given in...so I was wondering how do you ladies deal with the cravings and the feeling crappiness?? I've had my little monthly friend visiting me for 9 years but Ive never really tried to deal with cravings or anything, I've always just given in, when I feel crappy b/c of it I just feel crappy and then get over it the next week....lol
Old 03-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #2  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

I do give in to my cravings some during that time. One thing that always makes me feel better is that I know after my TOM the scale is going to drop down some, usually lower than it was before the TOM gain.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #3  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Oh goodness do I feel your pain. I know exactly when my period is coming because I feel crabby, sensitive, hungry, tired, and icky. I also get awful cravings during this time. I know what you mean though about wanting to keep up the program even during this time. I find if I allow myself one day to indulge a bit and then maybe every night a little treat like a apple with fat free caramel I can somewhat control it. I have to say though that there are times that something just takes over and I have no control. I think you should try to be a little easier on yourself during this time and maybe try to find something to occupy your time when you feel like eating. I find a bath with a book not only solves the eating issue but also helps with the cramps. Good Luck
Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #4  

These are my TOM tips

*stay away from the scales for TOM week and the week after (I retain fluid big style
*keep exercising, abs, swimming, gentle cardio - its all good and it helps the cramps and the feelings of argh!!!
*have a small ration of chocolate in the house. If I have nothing I go to the store and over eat big time, so I keep a couple of small chocolate bars (70% cocoa, hard to binge on them)
*keep busy, don't sit around feeling sorry for myself
*drink alot of fluid
*moan alot, to everyone!!! Share the pain!!!

After I lost 50lbs or so, my periods became a lot easier to deal with, I hardly notice them now.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #5  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
These are my TOM tips

*stay away from the scales for TOM week and the week after (I retain fluid big style
*keep exercising, abs, swimming, gentle cardio - its all good and it helps the cramps and the feelings of argh!!!
*have a small ration of chocolate in the house. If I have nothing I go to the store and over eat big time, so I keep a couple of small chocolate bars (70% cocoa, hard to binge on them)
*keep busy, don't sit around feeling sorry for myself
*drink alot of fluid
*moan alot, to everyone!!! Share the pain!!!
TOM's been bugging me this week too. It started yesterday, and heaped on top of a final exam, a trying day at work (with a promotion that fell through) and a sick & whiney boyfriend... I just couldn't haul my *** to the gym, nor did I feel all that guilty about skipping it. I played with my yoga ball, did some squats and other half-assed exercises at home while watching "Project Runway," but nothing terribly strenuous or effective.

I'd go to the gym tonight, except I promised to give someone a music lesson. Maybe I'll go afterward, but I feel whiney and *****y too, and really don't want to do much. I'm thinking the plan will be to just show up at the gym, change into my clothes, and putter. Even if I don't do a full work-out, cardio, or whatever, and it's totally half-assed, I can feel good that I at least went and kept on track, and feel good that it doesn't mean I have to bust my butt EVERY time I go to the gym. It's supposed to be fun (and not a chore) anyway.

After all... I don't really want to go home and mope either. My bf will want me to listen to him complain or go grocery shopping for comfort food for him. (Comfort food = strawberries & diet gingerale). While normally I'd be sympathetic (and he really is a sweetheart the rest of the time), I just don't feel like dealing with other people's problems right now, even if they do have the flu and I gave it to them (but didn't get it because I spent the $10 to get a flu shot).

Whine, whine, *****, moan, crab.

--Janis
Old 03-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #6  
..5, 6, 7, 8!

Height: 5'9

I'm sorry Janis, but I couldn't help but giggle at your expense because that is exactly how I feel.. My TOM is due next week. I can feel my breast aching and I feel extremely bloated = heavy!! ugh! Oh and the DH is complaining about my *****ing - well, that doesn't really count because he says everyday is TOM for me.. hmmmph!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #7  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but Kykaree I just noticed your ticker and that you no longer have a 2 in front of your number! Did that happen recently? That 199 is so exciting... congratulations!

And meanwhile, back to the actual topic at hand... Next week will be my first time tackling TOM while truly and seriously being on a plan. (I had been "faking it" for a couple months before that, not taking any of it very seriously.) So we'll see how it goes, but there have been some good ideas here. Thanks, all....

Happy FRIDAY!

-Lala
Old 03-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #8  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

I actually went to the gym yesterday. I didn't want to, but I figured I'd slacked off on Wednesday, but if I kept doing that, I'd get off track. I figured I'd go, and even if I just sat in the hot tub not doing anything the whole time, it would at least keep me in the habit of GOING to the gym, even if I didn't feel like doing anything. Once I got there, I had a good time though.

There's this guy - I call him "Juggling guy" because he's there like every day... juggling. He has his little hacky-sacks and just... juggles. He's really skinny, and I have seen him on the elliptical machines, not really working out... just going... then stopping... then going... then laughing at something on t.v... then he gets off, juggles... plays with the yoga balls... stands on his head... plays on the stationary bikes... this is his workout routine, as far as I can tell. But he's obviously having fun.

I joined him juggling, and decided, "this is the attitude I want to have." It's not about how hard you're working - it's about having fun and moving. But, I ended up doing a complete workout anyway, and had fun! It put me in such a better mood just to get away from "life" for a while and TOM and all the other nastiness, and I could just... be. It helped me immensely, I think. I'll have to remember this experience for next time.

--Janis
Old 03-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #9  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

TOM is RIGHT NOW for me, and I am THRILLED to see this thread, because I am going through the same thing! I am so bummed because I have REALLY been following my program, but the scale is UP! UGH! It's so dissappointing! But it does go down after, AF, you think??
Old 03-04-2006, 05:37 AM   #10  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Well, I'm NOT looking forward to TOM this month. The scales are already up a little, and I don't want them to get any higher. I know that I have been OP and exercising well, so I'm not sure why the rise. I'll have to just ride as patiently through TOM as I can and hopefully come out the other end stronger, if not smiling.

My dietitian friend told me to simply go with the cravings around TOM. I had been fighting them and getting really sensitive and grumpy. She said that as long as I didn't go overboard, it was OK to give in to the cravings a little. I was SOOOOOO happy when she told me this. She even recommended that I go home that day and have a peanut butter and banana (my favourite) sandwich for afternoon tea. It was great to actually have permissio to pig out! Well... compared to my old pig outs, this was very minor, but it was still not what I had planned for afternoon tea.

So ladies, I am definitely going to take your advice to heart and keep my fingers crossed for when TOM comes to visit this time.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 03-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #11  

Arrow

Yeah, I go through the same thing each month.

I don't really do anything too special to deal with it. It I'm feeling really cramppy and tired I do like Busker and just do the excersises that don't aggrivate me as much.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #12  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

So all you ladies, do the scales go up for you during TOM? How long does it take for them to go back down? I am in a panic!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #13  

Talking

The scale stood still for 3 days while I was on it then dropped 2 1/2 pounds very near the last day of it. So, it certainly can play mind games for the weight conscious.........

I love my body.... I love my body.... I love my body..... lol.....
Old 03-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #14  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Cassie, the scales go up every time for me. In fact, I was puzzled about the latest rise in the scales until TOM arrived today. It is just over a week early, so I wasn't expecting the rise in scales at all. At least it is explained. I have only had TOM back for a few months now, since stopping the contraceptive needle towards the end of last year. (So my cycle is still settling into a routine I think, sometimes early, sometimes a little late) While I was on the needle I didn't have a period for a few years, and when I was obese I could go for years without a period. Of course, then I wasn't conscious of my weight anyway, so wouldn't have known if my weight went up and down.

So, I'm only basing this on a few months of having TOM back, but every time, the scales go up the week before, basically sit there for the few days, then come back down. Sometimes slowly, and sometimes I lose double to make up for the gain. Not sure about the exact pattern yet.

This was a real shock to me after steadily losing 1kg (2.2lbs) a week for over a year. To actually see the scale go UP instead of down was such a shock. I'm starting to wish I'd just stayed on the needle until I had reached my goal, but it was causing problems, so I suppose I did the best thing for my health in the long run.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #15  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I think next week is my TOM week That's the cool thing about being on the pill - I know exactly when it's coming! I'm not going to weigh myself this week because I feel very bloaty already. Bleh!
Closed Thread