Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #1  

Question Anyone over 50 starting AGAIN?!?!?!

I can't begin to tell you the frustration of having to start again ... having done so throughout my life, only to add the weight back, and more. But over 50 is killing me ... I went on a diet recently and actually gained two pounds on their "phase 1"! So, I'm trying to figure out whether being involved with something like this would help me. I don't know ... I have done WW and CURVES and Jenny Craig ... with accountability all over the place. I don't know whether this would be any different but thought I'd give it a try.

I will be 55 in January and have struggled with weight since I can remember ... my mom taking me to a doctor when I was 10 to get amphetimines! And the struggle continues ... I have another friend who is committing with me to do South Beach with the hopes that it can help even women over 50. We'll see.

Want to join in?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

I'm 57 and i've been dieting for awhile. I'm losing pretty well too. Just plain old counting calories and trying to eat healthy. I wish you luck with the South Beach diet. I find it a little too restrictive but I do know people who have lost on it. I think almost any diet work as long as you stick to it. Along with some exercise and drinking enough water to wash the toxins out.

I do know the frustration of losing weight only to regain it again, plus adding a few more pounds to the equasion. I'm really tired of that. This time i'm keeping the weight off!
Again, good luck
Old 12-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #3  

What are you doing that is working for you? Counting calories is hard but I've done it before too. I had to get below 700 calories a day to lose and that's not a whole lot of food. Honestly, I tried Weight Watchers three times and lost and gained over the course of each try with very little to show for all the sacrifice and money ... the same with Jenny Craig and Lean LIne and a hundred other programs. Even when I was going regularly to CURVES to exercise I had very little weight loss ... and I need to lose A LOT!

The only thing that ever worked for me was Phen-fen and they took that off the market. But then it wasn't supposed to be a long-term fix ... it was another "boost" to get you to a place that you couldn't possibly sustain for a life-time. And I need a life-time plan. So, I want to find something that works long-term and keep the weight off too ... like you! I just need to find something that works. Last year at this time I returned to WW because I thought it was the healthiest of all the diets I knew of ... but I gained 1/4 lb. and then lose it, then gain and lose ... overall, no more than a pound or two in six months. I just got frustrated and quit.

I had bunion surgery on both feet several years ago and I'm still not all right with exercise that uses my feet. But getting to a swimming pool is hard and there isn't must else. But I'm pushing myself ... I bought a new pair of shoes that I think is going to be OK for exercise (they cost over $200!) ... so we'll see how things work once I get back to exercising and dieting.

THanks for writing. GOod luck to you too.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #4  

Default hi

Hi, i can feel your frustration! It's tough to stay on a diet, especially when you don't see any results. I don't know the reason you don't lose weight on a WW or calorie counting diet. Could it be because you've restriced your calories so low that your metabolism has slowed down? Sometimes you just have to eat a certain amount of healthy calories, around 1200/1400 calories and wait for your body to realize you aren't going to starve it so it can let go of some of the fat. And yes, you might gain some weight in the mean time. I think you might need to try to be healthy for the long run and not get hung up on immediate results. Yes, it will take longer, but you will be healthier for it.

It is unfortunate that you can't do exercise, it does help. How about an exercise ball and hand weights? I do walk on the treadmill but I also think that weights are really good. what ever you do, begin slow. You don't want to injure yourself.

If you want to try I would be happy to buddy up and try to help. I'm sur we could encourage each other. Interested?
Old 12-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #5  

Smile

Hi Lilliegrace!
I know just how you feel!!!
I'm 52 and my weight is getting right back to my all time high of 288.
I weighed 254 this morning & nearly fell of the scale!
I'm going to be working with 1300-1400 calorie high protein/high complex carb meal plan. Exercise (walking, dance & free weights) is the only way it will work for me. I find that I simply don't lose when I don't exercise.
I hurt my right foot about 3 years ago and was 10 months on the mend. I had to modify my exercise program. Yoga & free weights worked just fine. I progressed to 5 miniutes at a time of dance & slowly worked my way up to 25 minutes of dance. Nothing formal - slow & at my own pace- it worked!
If you need a support buddy count me in!
All the best to you in the coming year & Good Luck!
Fibermomma
Old 12-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #6  

Hello, LillieGrace, I am new to the site also and I need a buddy like crazy. There is just something about those 50 year old fat cells that just do not want to turn lose. I lost 20 pounds this summer and have gained everyone of them back. I stayed on 1200-1500 calories per day and it took 3 months. I thought in three months I would have changed my eating habits, guess not, but I am starting again. I hate to excersize, but I am going to do it, I hate water but I am going to drink it, because I hate being so darned unhealthy! One major thing for me is all the junk food is GOING OUT of this house. I hate to contribute to the delinquency of others, but I am sending it to work with my husband as fast as he can carry it. He is a safety director on a construction site full of hungry men. By Jan. 2 the only thing in this house is gonna be healthy. Did I mention my late night snacking problem? I don't think one can over do on oranges and apples like one can on chocolate, can one? Well I have truly vented now. Hang in there. The body is a temple and we are treating it like it is a juke joint. Time to stop! Good luck!
Old 12-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #7  

I would like to join in with the 50's group. I have to lose it again!
One Fat Rooster in the Bluegrass!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #8  

Greetings all! I am so excited to see so many responses from those of you over 50 ... who are starting again like me. Sometimes I think it just helps to know that others are in the same war ... but I want to do more than that this year ... I want to win some of the battles. I trust that we can encourage one another!

I found a pair of shoes that alllows me to use the treadmill so I'm slowly working my way into that as a part of my regime. I know that exercise is important so I'm going to try to do it at least 3 times a week ... and I'm going to try South Beach again. A friend got incredible results with it and it seems very livable (once you get past the first phase) and she has agreed to "coach" me. So, I'm optimistic ...

and I hope that you are too ... slim me, fibermamma, teacher56, and KY blue. I'm looking forward to building a solid support team.

Thanks for writing back. Lillygrace
Old 01-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #9  

Hi Everyone, And a happy, healthy new year to all of you! Lets work hard to make it the best one yet!

Ky Blue, I'm originally from Ky too!

Teacher 56, If it wasn't for late night snacking, I wouldn't have any problem! I could have written your post! I had gotten down to goal in May, went on vacation, hurt my back again and ended up gaining all the weight back. I totally agree about "cleaning the house" If it's not in there you can't eat it! And I do love fruit and vegetables. It's no big hardship for me to eat that way. I just love all the other junk too!

Lillygrace, I'm glad to see you are getting back to exercising! It does make such a difference! Just take it slow and easy so you don't reinjure yourself!

Fibermama, Sounds like you are getting back in to working out and having fun with it too. Dancing is always uplifting, and good for your body as well as your spirit!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #10  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Hi all,
I would love to join your group. I turned 51 on December 4. For the past 5 years I have been trying to get down to a healthy weight range but could not keep motivated enough to stick to my diet.
When I was 49 years old, I told myself that I will reach my goal weight when I hit my 50's - easier said than done!
When I turned 50, I told myself I will not be so fat in my 50's - didn't help either!
Well, now I'm 51 and I have to take a grip of myself and do something.
It is really very difficult to lose weight at this age, but I'm sure it can be done. Others have been successful, there is no reason why we can't ~ right?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #11  

Smile also starting again!

Hi,

I know all about starting over again. I too am almost 55, and really need to lose weight. I am starting my upteenth diet tomorrow, or today actually since it's after midnight. Dieting has been an ongoing struggle for me for all my adult life. I have never tried an online buddy, but I really don't want to join another group, so thought I could give it a shot.

I saw your post and just now registered so I could reply. If you're still needing a diet buddy, I'm available!

Gail
Old 01-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #12  

Hi Every one, And welcome Gail. I think we all know where you're coming from so hopefully we can all be there for each other. I know I have have tried and failed countless times. Now we're all in this together.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #13  

Greetings! And here's to a great new year! I was planning to start South Beach but didn't do the shopping necessary in order to eat right ... so I just did my own thing yesterday. And I was really good ... passed by the donut holes at church (the chocolate ones are my break point) but had leftover pizza with my husband and a tiny glass of champagne to toast the new year. I did exercise ... so I feel pretty good about the day.

I have to be flexible because my schedule is absolutely crazy and no routine whatsoever. So I try not to kick myself for not staying right on a diet plan ... and affirm myself for where I did it right. And it may be that South Beach isn't the right plan for me either but I want to give it a try. As girlieyorkie says, "others have been successful ... so there's no reason we can't be too." I'm counting on it.

Like Gail, I don't want to join another group ... it doesn't really seem to make any difference ... so I am hoping this kind of accountability will be helpful.

Hope you all are enjoying the day ... I'm taking down the Christmas tree and getting it ready for the trash people to pick it up tomorrow. I hate to see it go ... I love Christmas lights ... and all they symbolize. But it has to go.

Blessings to you all,
Old 01-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #14  

Thumbs up Day 1

Hi all,

For far so good...actually I got up late and I'm not hungry in the morning so...dieting is not a challenge yet! Don't you think just deciding to start again is the hardest part? Getting the mind set to eat healthy...I call it climbing back up on the wagon!

I have gained back about 25 pounds of what I lost last year. But at least I'm not up to my highest weight of 223. I'm 5'3" (almost), and as of this morning weigh 196.5.

Would anyone like to weigh in on Mondays with me and post how you did?
Or do you already do that somewhere on here? I haven't posted on this site before.

My motivation for losing weight is more for health reasons. I would like to get my blood pressure down. Of course I wouldn't mind being able to get into the size 12/14's in my closet again either. I gave away almost all my size 22/24's about a year and a half ago.

Has anyone tried the DASH diet?

I'm glad I found this group!

Gail
Old 01-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #15  

Default Thanks for the welcome!

I forgot to say that in the previous post.

Gail
Closed Thread