Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default fat carb protien proportions?

anyone have any recommendations??

i know some recommend 30-30-40 (i think thats fat-prot-carbs??) also is this in the calories from each or in the number of grams?

i always seem to have crazy carbs.

ie today 20 something fat, 180 something carbs and 40 something prot. and the percentage pie chart def shows carbs predominating... probably at like 60% of my total cal intake.

i dont eat a ton of high carb stuff tho - my cereal is one (66 carbs ) 2 mini tangerines were 16!! and my cottage cheese was 22!! everything else was fairly low....

should i cut out the cereal?

thanks for the input
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #2  
Meg

I think that most of the time it's written protein/carbs/fat, in that order. Sometimes you'll see it like this: P/C/F. And they're talking about percentages, not grams, so the three numbers added together always equal 100.

As to what your ratios should be, you'll see recommendations all over the place. It really depends on what kind of plan you're following.

Personally, I tend to eat about 45% protein, 30% carbs, and 25% fat (so I'd write it 45/30/25). At my current calorie level, that's usually somewhere around 120-140g of protein and 100-120g of carbs per day. Now that's just ME - what's going to work best for you might be completely different!

How's your weightloss with your current level of carbs? And how are you feeling? That will tell you whether or not you need to change what you're doing.

Hope that helps a bit!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

thanks! yeah i got the proportion idea (ie that it should add to 100) i just didn't know if its supposed to be based on the # of grams or the calories from each...

ie if im eating
2 f 3 c 4 p then am i figuring out the ration of 2:3:4 or am i figuring out 18:12:16 (If im remembering right and f has 9 cals per gram, c have 4 and p has 4?) i know the fitday graph shows me the percentages based on cals from each, not based on # of grams.

am i making any sense? im not a math person.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #4  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Looking at your Fitday for today (3/1) readfreddy, your percentages are around 30/50/20 and that is pretty good. I always have a problem with high carbs myself. It seems a I do a good job with the protein, and keep the fat low, and then have too many carbs. It is just a process you have to play with, the numbers will never be perfect but you have to find out what is perfect for you. Keep us up to date!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy
thanks! yeah i got the proportion idea (ie that it should add to 100) i just didn't know if its supposed to be based on the # of grams or the calories from each...

ie if im eating
2 f 3 c 4 p then am i figuring out the ration of 2:3:4 or am i figuring out 18:12:16 (If im remembering right and f has 9 cals per gram, c have 4 and p has 4?) i know the fitday graph shows me the percentages based on cals from each, not based on # of grams.

am i making any sense? im not a math person.
The proportions are the percentage of your total calories for each macronutrient, rather than the number of grams of each. 25P/50C/25F would be 25% of total calories coming from protein, 50% of total calories coming from carbs, and 25% of total calories coming from fat.

In your above example, your ratios would be 35P/26C/39F
The total calories from 4g protein, 3g carbs, and 2g fat is 46 calories.
35% of those come from protein (16 cals), 26% come from carbs (12 cals), and 39% come from fat (18 cals).

Hope that helps.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote