Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 AM   #1  

Lightbulb Has anyone tried the Hibernation Diet

i've read a bit about it. it's supposed to improve sleep (which is the part i'm most interested in), stabilise liver and promote weight loss

includes eating honey and resistance training 3x a week. has anyone got the book or tried the diet??? i'd like to know more
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 10"

I have never heard of it - I thought maybe you just sleep all winter like a bear and when you wake up you're skinny. I'd go for that!
Sue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #3  

sleep is part of it. it talks about getting good quality sleep which in turn metabolises fat etc etc and promotes weight loss
Old 03-01-2006, 12:25 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Sounds similar to part of an article I read in this month's Oprah magazine...which you can find in a condensed version here:

WEIGHT LOSS: THE NEW MYTHS

Quote:
Unfortunately, even with the best of science, no one has delivered a cure-all. Getting eight hours of sleep a night might make it easier to lose weight, but you still have to do the work by eating less and exercising more. And that's true for all diet breakthroughs at this point. "It's the food in and the calories out," Buxton says. "The rest stays around the middle."
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 AM   #5  

well if i could get 8 hours sleep each night i'd be delighted

thanks MrsJim
i wonder if the honey really does help?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue67
I have never heard of it - I thought maybe you just sleep all winter like a bear and when you wake up you're skinny. I'd go for that!
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking too!!! I'd do it!
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea
well if i could get 8 hours sleep each night i'd be delighted

thanks MrsJim
i wonder if the honey really does help?
Honey is basically *sugar* as far as your body is concerned - it's refined by bees.

Check this out:

Quote:
I've started using honey instead of sugar since it is a more natural sweetener. I've been trying to cut down on sugar. I'm not fat or a diabetic. I just think it would be more healthy.

Well, you are still using sugar if you have switched to honey. Honey contains 40% sucrose (table sugar) and 60% fructose (fruit sugar).

Honey can be used to replace sugar in a recipe; 3/4 cup of honey can replace one cup of sugar in a recipe. You will have to reduce the liquid by one-half cup for each cup of honey you add to the recipe though.

If you want to cut down on your total intake of sugar, consider decreasing all sugars, white, brown, powdered, raw, as well as honey. You could limit your intake of foods high in sugar to once a week rather than eating sweets daily. Another significant reduction in sugar could be made by adding only 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of sugar or honey called for in a recipe. You will be surprised how good cookies taste with half the sugar.

Sugar is a natural food. It comes from sugar cane or sugar beets. It is considered an empty calorie since there are not any vitamins or minerals in sugar. Some advocates of honey claim that honey has vitamins and minerals. Honey does contain some nutrients, but one tablespoon of honey will provide less than 1/100 of your Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin C, calcium and iron. There is no vitamin A in honey. This is not a significant contribution to your diet nutrient wise and honey is adding calories along with those trace amounts of nutrients.
So much for honey being a 'health food'.

BTW do you know that black bears who eat honey are the only animals found in nature to have tooth cavities??
Old 03-04-2006, 02:13 AM   #8  

you know it's interesting. i had the same thought honey = sugar and being prediabetic i'm not at all keen to have dollops of it. but i did have one day where i had as much honey as they prescribed and slept well. i've also seen a lot of natural health sites tout honey for sleep. maybe it is the potassium or some other ingredient in the honey???

i have tried having a piece of fruit shortly before bed as the diet states that it is the fructose.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea
you know it's interesting. i had the same thought honey = sugar and being prediabetic i'm not at all keen to have dollops of it. but i did have one day where i had as much honey as they prescribed and slept well. i've also seen a lot of natural health sites tout honey for sleep. maybe it is the potassium or some other ingredient in the honey???

i have tried having a piece of fruit shortly before bed as the diet states that it is the fructose.
If you're prediabetic, I would strongly suggest consulting your primary care physician or endocrinologist before dosing yourself with what is basically refined sugar...