South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default On the beach with perimenopause

I've been having a challenging time going through perimenpause that has caused me to gain a considerable amount of weight (over 50 pounds in 7 years ). I'd like to hear from other women dealing with hormonal issues who have lost weight on the SBD.
Healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #2  

Hi,
I am in the same boat as you. I am in the perimenopause stage myself. I just went to the Gyn today and I maybe facing a hysterecetomy. But any way I have success at times I find it gets boring after awhile. I just need to get back in the saddle. Good Luck!
NoraC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

I spent my entire 40's in perimenopause. I ballooned up to 233 pounds (YIKIES!). I tried everything from the Zone diet to the starvation diet and dang if my weight didn't just keep creeping up.
I resigned myself to a fat middle age.
Then I stumbled over Fat Flush and VOILA! I'm wearing 6's and 8's. Not only that, many of my perimenopausal symptoms resolved while I eat the Fat Flush way: no more insomnia, my acne cleared up, I'm no longer ready to murder DH merely for asking how I was doing (LOL), I have energy to burn and GOODBYE brain fog!
I'm in full-fledged menopause and I highly recommend the following books: Sex, Lies and Menopause by T.S. Wiley; Before the Change, by Ann Louise Gittleman.

HTH!
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #4  

Well, I've lost 70 pounds..which I regained all but 10 of them, and am back to trying again... anyway, I went through menopause at the age of 28 or so... and in a blink of an eye I gained 50 pounds... i always had weight issues, but I was "only" 25 pounds overweight until then. Unfortunately, it seems that it really affects your metabolism.. I lost my weight by eating LF, and ate red meat rarely... however, I worked out 6 days a week a minimum of 2 hours a day..
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #5  
I vant to draw your blood

Ugh! the PM word! I think I'm there, but I'm to Chicken**** to get myself to the gyn to have my hormone levels evaluated.

I know I have metabolic syndrome and PCOS, so that accounts for a lot of the weight I gained in my 30s. I've never had a diet work for me yet. SBD has been the most successful so far. At my best I lost 25 pounds. I've put some back on but am working to get that back off and moving to a new downhill trend.

I bought the FF book and read it through, tried the diet for a couple of weeks and that was what threw me into a horrible fibromyalgia flare up. They advocated going off ALL my meds. I thought, "okay, I'm willing to take a gamble to see if this will work". HAH! NEVER AGAIN!! Nothing, not even weight loss was worth the horrible pain, insomnia and yuckiness that persisted for over a month afterward.

By far, the best method for ME, and I'm not saying this will work for everyone , YMMV and all that...is the SBD with exercise.
Mamacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacita
I bought the FF book and read it through, tried the diet for a couple of weeks and that was what threw me into a horrible fibromyalgia flare up. They advocated going off ALL my meds. I thought, "okay, I'm willing to take a gamble to see if this will work". HAH! NEVER AGAIN!! Nothing, not even weight loss was worth the horrible pain, insomnia and yuckiness that persisted for over a month afterward.
"they?" I'm sorry you had such an awful experience.
As an ex-moderator of the FF site, I can safely say that no moderators there EVER advocate that folks stop taking their prescription medications without first discussing it with their medical provider. In fact, when the question is brought up at the FF Forum, we generally advise that folks take the FF book with them to their medical appointment and review it with their Doctor prior to starting FF.

I'm aware of several fibromyalgia suffers who have done quite well on FF (and who post currently on the FF forum).

Glad you found a plan that works for you, now.
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote