Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #1  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Default So frustrating, but I'm not giving up!

I knew it was too good to be true. Fitday had me convinced I could eat 2800 calories a day and lose a pound a week. Well, I averaged 3000, but exercised a lot, so according to fitday I averaged 3500 burned and should have had a 500 cal/day deficit. (I'm male, 236#, and exercise a lot.) But instead of losing a pound of week, I lost 1/4 a pound a week. In other words, one pound a month!

I'm trying to cut down to 2500, since I'd have to lose a pound a week if I averaged that and kept up the exercise, but it's so hard to stay consistent. If I have any empty calories like orange juice, beer, or a little extra food at dinner, there's no way I can come in under 2800 without feeling all light-headed and not being able to sleep well. And if I screw up even one day a week, there's no way I can average 2500!

I know I have to just get stricter and say NO MORE EMPTY CALORIES. I think I've been in denial that I could still have a beer or a couple of glasses of orange juice almost every day and still lose weight. I've got to start looking at food as fuel and NOT USING IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE. Food is not entertainment, it shouldn't be used for a quick pick-me-up, I shouldn't use it to relieve anxiety. And I can't be careless! Grabbing a granola bar (like I did tonight in addition to having a slightly too large dinner) or a bowl of cereal when I don't absolutely need it to stay ahead of hunger or light-headedness will blow my calories for the day.

It just requires so much damn discipline.

On the bright side, when I first started counting calories, I was eating 4000 calories a day (!) and couldn't get it down to even 3000 for a long time, so at least I'm moving in the right direction. Plus I'm in kick-*** (cardio) shape for someone who weighs what I do. I get less tired than some of the thin guys playing basketball!

I already eat a ton of protein and watch my fat intake. I have 6 meals/snacks a day. I avoid most refined carbs except for my cereal which has a lot of protein and fiber in it. Since I eat cereal 3x a day as breakfast and snacks, I think maybe my next step will be to switch to oatmeal or something for a better glycemic index.

I'll tell you this much, this time, I am NOT giving up. This is hard as ****, but the alternative is so much worse. I guess it's like Thomas Jefferson said, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Eternal vigilance is hard f***ing work, but I really want to be free of this weight.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #2  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

Wise words! I've read your post about 3 times now, especially the last line.
TribeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey Jman - I hear ya on it being a lot of hard work....try being a chick an having to get by on 1400 calories a day to lose weight.

I also hear ya on the fact that FitDay is pretty wacky when it comes to calories burned....I have myself set at sedentary/bedridden and it still seems high. But it is free - so I use it for what it's pretty durned good at - logging calories in.

It sounds like you pretty much know the deal - and that is at least half the battle. I admire your determination - You've come a long way from 4000 calories a day!! And that was after you started counting!

One thing I've learned on this journey about calorie counting is that it's all about planning. Go ahead and have a beer every once in a while - just bulk up on low cal veggies that day and save yourself enough calories to enjoy a beer. Two other options are more exercise or resigning yourself to slower losses. Keep in mind you are doing this for life - I don't know how old you are or how far from goal you are - but IMHO - losing slowly is way better than not losing or gaining.

Best of luck to you - you'll do great - you have your head in the game.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #4  
Feeling the burn

I find Fitday is on drugs when it comes to calculating calories burned. If it was accurate, I would be the size of an embryo by now. LOL

Empty calories will mess up your daily intake wayyyyyy to easily. My boyfriend used to drink a lot of juice and since he has cut juice out, he has lost a lot of weight. (He was about 237, he's now borderline 200) He found some low calorie juices recently, so he has a glass now and then but you can do the same thing by adding water to your juice. It will probably taste yucky at first but once you get used to the watered down taste, it's not so bad

He doesn't drink alcohol so that wasn't an issue. The thing about alcohol too (on top of being empty calories) is that it might make you less careful about what you eat or make you feel hungrier than you really are or crave "bad" food. Who the heck craves a good carrot with their beer? lol

My boyfriend really likes the Abs Diet. I have stolen a few tips from it too. Perhaps something with a "free" day (or meal rather) would work best for you (like Abs Diet or Body for Life) That way you would be on track 90% of the time and keep those cravings in check for the rest of the week by endulging yourself on that "free" day. It gives you something to look forward to, and in my experience, the cravings go away after a while and the "free" meal ends up not being so wild eventually lol

Make sure you eat foods that will keep you full. Fiber, protein, whole grains, some nuts. Some stuff out there may look good for a "diet" because they are low cal and/or low/no fat, but they do nothing to keep you full and satisfied. A good workout regimen can allow you to be a little less strict with the calories and lose weight at a sensible rate.

Good luck on your journey!
Fit_Boo is offline   Reply With Quote