Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #1  

Default Down 20 pounds not really seeing results - WHY?

I have been thinking about this...and why is it that I am down from 158 to 139 and am still wearing the same size clothes that are only a little loose? I would have thought that 20 pounds lost, I would be down a size or 2. Like I said in another thread, my waist/arms are noticeably smaller, but NOT my butt, hips or thighs, where I WANT to lose it. Someone cheer me up, please, I am discouraged once again. I have 20 pounds to go by March 31 (like THAT is gonna happen), I guess I am going to extend my WL to sometime in May, as this has been such a sloooooow process for me.
loseitlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #2  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Laura- Do you exercise? It may be time to start really toning the lower body. Also, remember that you will lose in order of how you gained it. When you gained weight, was it lower body first, then upper? If so, that would explain why the upper has thinned out first, now it is the lower body's turn. Don't worry, just keep with your plan and it will all work itself out, even if it is slow. I know, waiting it out is so hard, isn't it? Good luck!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #3  

Laura-

MY PROBLEM EXACTLY! It's super frustrating, but there's not much we can do to change the way in which we lose weight. I got the BL DVD (Katie's recommendation) and feel that I get a really good lower body workout. I think the only way I will lose it on the bottom is by increasing my muscle mass, and thereby toning my legs and butt and speeding up my metabolism. Resistance training (like weights) will make a huge difference. Don't get discouraged, though, it will eventually come off. Not as fast as we'd like it, but this plan works, but it doesn't work over night. The best thing you can do is not get discouraged and go off plan. That will only make you more unhappy!

Good luck!

Christie
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #4  
PurpleSunshine

Laura - I totally agree with Katie and Christie - it is going to come off by the last that was gained. I always know I'm gaining if my waist gets to tight in my pants. That is where I always gain last and lose first. Be patient and it will come - trust me - I've been there - it took getting very small up top before starting to lose the lower part of my pear shaped body!! Toning and doing some exercise will definitely help!!! Good luck!
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #5  

One question, Laura -- how tall are you? If you're at 139 and not happy, I'm guessing you're not too tall? I am 5'8" and currently weigh 156 and am a size 10-12. Are you wanting to be a size 0-2?

I also think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves. I have been really hard on myself lately, and I found some old pictures of me before I started to lose weight. It made me realize that I do actually look different, even if other people haven't noticed. I could see the difference myself in the pictures. I think perspective is everything. Change your perspective! Be so proud of yourself for losing 20 pounds and know that your heart and lungs are so much healthier. I think sometimes we all scale-obsess. True, that is a good way to measure our success, but I'm with Katie on throwing out the scale for a while. The scale isn't the only thing that measures our success or failures. We need to take a long look in the mirror and not be so hard on ourselves. Easier said than done, but you just have to hang in there!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #6  

I started a little over 180 My first 15 pounds I saw no change at all, after the 20 pounds i had looser clothes and for some reason since december I have went down almost 2 sizes. However, many of my 180ish pants still fit, just not snuggly. I think it depends ont he way the clothes are made mostly. Go to the store and try on some new things you think you can't fit yet and you might be pleasantly surprised.
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiesta
One question, Laura -- how tall are you? If you're at 139 and not happy, I'm guessing you're not too tall? I am 5'8" and currently weigh 156 and am a size 10-12. Are you wanting to be a size 0-2?

I also think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves. I have been really hard on myself lately, and I found some old pictures of me before I started to lose weight. It made me realize that I do actually look different, even if other people haven't noticed. I could see the difference myself in the pictures. I think perspective is everything. Change your perspective! Be so proud of yourself for losing 20 pounds and know that your heart and lungs are so much healthier. I think sometimes we all scale-obsess. True, that is a good way to measure our success, but I'm with Katie on throwing out the scale for a while. The scale isn't the only thing that measures our success or failures. We need to take a long look in the mirror and not be so hard on ourselves. Easier said than done, but you just have to hang in there!
and again it is all about your body because I can fit the one pair od size 6 at NY and Co, but other places I can still have to wear a 13-15 because of my hips. I was wearing size 15-18 at 180. I am excited abotu my size 6 pants and were them proudly, but I don't think I will ever be able to universally be a size 6 at all stores. think about what you want and be realistic.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #8  

Shennie -- that is so awesome you've lost so much!

Good for you -- I can't wait to be a 6 anywhere! I just got my butt into a pair of jeans that are a 10 and I want to wear them everyday inside out so I can shout out to the world that I'm finally a 10!!!!!

Good job!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #9  

Is NY&Co the old Lerner's? Do they still have Lerner's around?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #10  

I am 5'3" tall and 139 pounds. I wear an 8 or 10. I have been walking but my counselor told me that I can't exercise or break a sweat for more than 2 1/2 hours a week, so I have been limiting myself to some brisk walking a half hour a day. Does this make sense to anyone else? Thanks for all your support, girls.
loseitlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #11  
Katie

Height: 5'1

No, it sounds like a lazy counselor to me. Exercise is always good for you. They said that because if you exercise more than 5 hours a week, then they have to change your plan to add more food so that your body is getting enough calories to be able to lose fat.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #12  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Height: 5'1"

I’m like the complete opposite when it comes to my chest. Out of the 14.5” I’ve lost, only 1” was in that area. I hate them and that was the first place I wanted to see go. After I had my son everyone said my chest would get smaller. That never happened. They didn’t even go back to their pre pregnancy size. I told DH, after we’re done having kids, I’m getting rid of MOST of them. That should be good for at least 10 lbs. lol
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiesta
Is NY&Co the old Lerner's? Do they still have Lerner's around?
I think they kind of combined or something like that. i use to go there because they have long pantas and being 5'7 i need long pants fo rthe winter when i wear boots, but know that i realized there sizes run big i am always there. they are pretty expensive, but have great sales and i signed up for coupons on the webiste, so I ussaly get about 50% everytime i go there.

Laura~ yes that is just laziness on the counselors part.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #14  
PurpleSunshine

Dawn - hey don't throw those away - you can send them to me!!! Mine did retreat back to pre pg - and I enjoyed mine!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #15  
PurpleSunshine

Yes, I can't wait to go to NY & Co - haven't been in a while -but I did buy some nice fitting size 10 Tommy's while on vacation - I looked in the mirror and told myself "You go girl",..,...I was a happy camper