Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Default Give Yourself a Prize!!!

Thought I would share one fun thing I do... when I accomplish a certain goal I reward myself with a prize... NOT food of course! Can be something very small... when I was on a tight budget it was often just something from the dollar store; or even pick a special flower and put it in a little vase. I used to do it a prize for each month I stuck with my plan... generally I don't do it for weight lost because that is not something I can really control.

But this time I decided a prize for each 10 pounds lost... AND I set a walking goal so for every 150,000 steps I do I will get a reward!!

Try it! It's a great motivator!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I told myself in November, right before I started my plan, that if I could stick with it, I'd reward myself by going to a concert that I really really wanted to attend. 40 pounds later, and I've got tickets to the Birthday Massacre on April 1st in Chicago!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #3  

Smile

It is indeed a great motivator!

I do this all the time. I typically do it in the form of clothes or shoes. Sometimes make-up though. I love it, it really makes me feel good.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #4  

Yay Kayley... good for you! You will really enjoy this concert knowing you earned it!!

AquaChick... ya makeup is always good!!!! I also like neat things for my wall.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 02-23-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:59 AM   #5  

An Urban Decay eye shadow for each 5lbs lost will be my new reward, now that the weight is coming off so slowly, I should get one by Christmas

I did perfume at first for every 20lbs, but the novelty has worn off now
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #6  

LOL Kykaree, you will make it LONG before Christmas!!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #7  
Aleecia

Those are some great ideas to stay motivated.
I also saw the other day someone who posted that each time they lost a certain amount of weight they would put a couple of dollars aside. They were ultimatley saving for when they reached their goal weight they would have money to buy some great new outfits.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel33
Those are some great ideas to stay motivated.
I also saw the other day someone who posted that each time they lost a certain amount of weight they would put a couple of dollars aside. They were ultimatley saving for when they reached their goal weight they would have money to buy some great new outfits.
I saw that post too, Angel and am searching for it again and can't find it. I decided to do it for "blow" money on my cruise coming up in May!!! I created an Excel database to keep track LOL
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I bought myself the newest Kelly Clarkson cd. I figured I deserved a gift for myself after losing 15 pounds. I think I like this idea. every time I hit a goal, I'll buy myself a little something. Like if i hit my walking goal, i'll buy myself a gift, if i lose 10 pounds, i'll buy myself a gift. even if it is just a flower to put at my desk. good idea. thanks for the motivation to keep going.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #10  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I'm buying myself a bottle of Vera Wang perfume when I get to 179 lbs. Expensive yes but under 180 is going to be a huge milestone for me.

When I get to 169 lbs I'll buy something else, not decided what yet!
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Before I was truly ready to commit to a weight loss program my dad offered me a $3k reward if I stuck to the program and lost my weight so I could buy clothes. I didn't do it but then he said, when I'm ready the offer still stands.

Other ideas might be a trip to the spa for any treatment.

How about a mini trip out of town 3-4 hours for some tourist attraction (this is better for bigger increments of loss)

A trip to your favorite hobby. Ex. Every 5-10lbs go camping, host a game night, scrapbook night, etc.

Every 10lbs a trip to the movies, bowling, girls night out, go kart riding, ice skating, etc

Add to your collection whatever they may be: every 10lbs buy a movie, music CD, stuff for your scrapbooking, new card game, excercise stuff, subscribe to a new magazine, a new book (I rarely buy new books, I just accept whatever is at a garage sale so it is a real treat when I do)whatever...

Put money in a jar for every pound lost and save up for REAL trip like a cruise.

If you want a challenge:

For Every 5 or 10 lbs buy something that cost the same amt as the amt you lost. Example: 20lbs=$20 You MUST buy something you normally wouldn't.

Another challenge: Get a suitcase and every 5lbs go to dollar store and buy 5 things, 10 things, 15 things, etc. It can be some for you and some for others. Put it in a suitcase. Don't touch it until you've reached goal. It can be simple things like a coloring book for your child, a new hairclip for you, a gadget you wanted, a book, some candy (not often), etc. Make sure MOST of it is for you. Really you can do it with any of the above ideas that are things.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #12  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I think when I reach my goal I'm going to convince my mom to buy me a new dress as a reward. I'll have to sell my old pageant gown because it's a size ten and I really hope that I'll be smaller than that by then!
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #13  

I forgot, I rewarded myself for 12 months of consistent gym membership with extremely expensive professionally fitted running shoes, and membership to a sparkly new gym with much better facilities. I've not gone any fewer than 4 days a week for a whole year, amazing for me!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #14  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

I like the idea of buying a flower for yourself at each 5 pounds or so. It can sit at my desk and remind me the I would love to have a full bouquet!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #15  

OK, this sounds really good, except I think that I might lean towards changing my goals if they get too hard towards the end. for example, my hubby said that when we both get to our goal weight, we'll take a second honeymoon. I've got my goal weight set at 130 (totally in the range for my height and still 15# over my high school weight), but I'm a lot older now, what if I can't lose that last 10 pounds. is it ok to change your goals?
jodilynn is offline   Reply With Quote