Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2006, 04:23 PM   #1  

Default Conquering binge-eating

I've decided to start a thread for binge eating support. I've suffered from this for a long time and I'm tired of it.

Last week, I had my first Jenny Craig weigh-in and lost 3.2 lbs and for some reason I got so anxious and terrified that I binged for the entire week. It's sickening, because I want to lose weight but losing just a bit freaks me out.

Anyway, I'm off to my second weigh in about 5 hours...I wonder how much I'll gain with consuming over 5000 calories everyday since last week. Hm...
Peanut_butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

great thread! i do this too- although not for the same reasons. I dont think I have any fear of losing weight. I just let my emotions dictate my eating.... so when im sad, happy, angry, frusterated etc i eat!

Check out also- the chicks in control forum. They have a lot of info on binge eating!

Dont worry so much about your weigh in (easier said then done right!?!) maybe you need to ask the JC person not to tell you what you weigh!?

Good luck!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #3  

Bingeing was always a problem for me, and what has worked for me thus far is gradual reduction. Some may argue that cold turkey is the way to go, but for me, making it so black and white - so pass/fail was a recipe for disaster. Instead I worked on reducing the number of times I binged, the amounts I ate during a binge, and the types of food I binged on. Soon I was going from daily binges, to only a few times a week to almost never. I was also consuming fewer calories each time, so each binge had less of an impact on my over all weight. The important thing is not to get too upset when you binge. Don't judge yourself when you do it or allow it to reduce your self worth. Take it one day at a time and work on improving a little each day.
Hibiscus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

I also somtimes have trouble with bingeing. I find that when I am stressed or angry I have the hardest time. I think it is really hard to control. The worst part for me is how awful I feel afterwards. Not only emotionally but physically also. It is like you are not even tasting the food you just are eating as much as you can to fill something up. I think for me food is like a drug. I am on a high for like 10 min. while eating and then afterwards I crash. I just try to think about how I feel afterwards when I feel like I may binge. I think it is a big promblem though and there should be some support out there for it. Anyway take it one day at a time and just try your best.
Tina30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #5  

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina30
I also somtimes have trouble with bingeing. I find that when I am stressed or angry I have the hardest time. I think it is really hard to control. The worst part for me is how awful I feel afterwards. Not only emotionally but physically also. It is like you are not even tasting the food you just are eating as much as you can to fill something up. I think for me food is like a drug. I am on a high for like 10 min. while eating and then afterwards I crash. I just try to think about how I feel afterwards when I feel like I may binge. I think it is a big promblem though and there should be some support out there for it. Anyway take it one day at a time and just try your best.

I am willing to wager a lot of us have this issue. In my opinion there may be more than one key to unlock this problem, but there is one that has been working for me. I have had some setbacks, but when I do I brush myself off and continue with my workout routine. It seems like as long as I keep up with what I'm doing without being too critical of my mistakes-- the next potential binge loses it's potency.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #6  

readyfreddy,
I never even noticed that thread! THanks for the info!

Hibiscus8,
Thanks for that...I know the biggest problem I have is how I judge myself. I'm going to stop trying to stop the binge eating overnight and take it a week at a time. Let's see...this week I binged 4 days...hopefully that number'll go down.

Tina30,
You're right about the feeling high...I eat until my heart beats so fast that I can't sleep! Talk about addictive damage.

AquaChick,
I'm going to try the workout thing. I usually just give up on working out after I binge because I feel so awful and I just lie on my sofa dwelling on self-hatred.

Anyway, I came back from my weigh-in (week 2) and despite my binges, I lost ...... 2 LBS!!!!

I don't know how it happened...but I guess I just took a really REALLY massive pee before stepping on the scale! *was that inappropriate to say here? sorry...
Old 02-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #7  
Going to ONEderland

It sounds to me like you don't really want to lose weight. You work hard all week, lose and then binge all the next week in panic over the fact that you lost? There is fear there. You need to examine what it is that you are afraid of. For some of us weight loss is frightening. Why? That is what we need to look at. The answers will be individual, but it is obvious (to me) that there are advantages to being fat. What might be those advantages would vary from person to person. But we need to examine what they are for us. Maybe being fat protects you from your own sexuality. Maybe it gives you excuses why you can't or don't want to do various things in your life that you might feel obligated to do otherwise. Maybe it protects you from unwanted attention.

I really think that unless you come to terms with what you REALLY want (and not just what society tells you you should want) you will not be able to get slim, no matter how many diets you go on, because the panic of succeeding makes you go and intentionally do the opposite of what you think you want.

Do you WANT to lose weight? IF so WHY? Is there a part of you that DOESN'T want to lose? If so WHY? Which part is stronger? Is there a way of assuring and comforting that small child inside who is afraid? Is there a way of referring to your journey in a less threatening way? To me the very words "weight loss" are rather negative. Who wants to "lose" anything? Aren't we always taught that we should WIN? And when what you are "losing" is a part of your own body isn't that concept a little frightening? Maybe we should start thinking of it as "gaining". Gaining a healthier me. Gaining a stronger body. Gaining a slimmer more active life.

Do you see how even the words feel more positive? Self examination though, honest sincere self examination is essential. If we don't know why we self sabotage, we need to just examine it. What does fat do for us that we can't accomplish in other ways? And if there IS something fat does, what stragedies for coping with the discomforts we anticipate can we come up with? Or is it just fear of the unknown?
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #8  

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_butter
I usually just give up on working out after I binge because I feel so awful and I just lie on my sofa dwelling on self-hatred.

Yep. This is what I thought it could be for you as well. I used to do the same exact thing. Almost like a punishment. You don't outright think it, but there is a voice in the back of your mind critisizing you for screwing up and telling you you don't deserve to lose the weight.

This is hard. It is hard because I think just about all of us binge. For me, the key was ignoring this irrational "punishment". Even though I will feel really guilty about the binge- I know that one half of the formula to weight loss is excersise (fewer calories + excersise = weight loss). So to defeat the voice that says I don't deserve to lose weight, I can still do one half of the job. I may not lose any weight for that time frame- but I sure will not be defeated by a weight gain!!!! And the more I continue to do this, the less appealing a binge becomes. This may ot be the key for everyone, but this really helps me stay n control and in focus. The reality of the error I made by over eating is clear, but I know sitting on the couch afterwards is not going to do anything to help me either.

We have to try what we can to train ourselves out of this cycle and mindset. We have to be realistic as to how we actually lose weight. When we take the reigns anything is possible.

I know you can get through these binges sweetie. It's really tough, and it takes time to work through it-- but you can do it.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryA
It sounds to me like you don't really want to lose weight. You work hard all week, lose and then binge all the next week in panic over the fact that you lost? There is fear there. You need to examine what it is that you are afraid of. For some of us weight loss is frightening. Why? That is what we need to look at. The answers will be individual, but it is obvious (to me) that there are advantages to being fat. What might be those advantages would vary from person to person. But we need to examine what they are for us. Maybe being fat protects you from your own sexuality. Maybe it gives you excuses why you can't or don't want to do various things in your life that you might feel obligated to do otherwise. Maybe it protects you from unwanted attention.

I really think that unless you come to terms with what you REALLY want (and not just what society tells you you should want) you will not be able to get slim, no matter how many diets you go on, because the panic of succeeding makes you go and intentionally do the opposite of what you think you want.

Do you WANT to lose weight? IF so WHY? Is there a part of you that DOESN'T want to lose? If so WHY? Which part is stronger? Is there a way of assuring and comforting that small child inside who is afraid? Is there a way of referring to your journey in a less threatening way? To me the very words "weight loss" are rather negative. Who wants to "lose" anything? Aren't we always taught that we should WIN? And when what you are "losing" is a part of your own body isn't that concept a little frightening? Maybe we should start thinking of it as "gaining". Gaining a healthier me. Gaining a stronger body. Gaining a slimmer more active life.

Do you see how even the words feel more positive? Self examination though, honest sincere self examination is essential. If we don't know why we self sabotage, we need to just examine it. What does fat do for us that we can't accomplish in other ways? And if there IS something fat does, what stragedies for coping with the discomforts we anticipate can we come up with? Or is it just fear of the unknown?
Wow, what a painful but true thing to read. I am afraid, and I'm sure of it. Thing is, I want it so badly despite the fear. I've lost 20 lbs about 8 times over the past 4 years. And with every gain, I went further off the edge.

With lost weight comes confidence, and with confidence comes obligations and attention...I felt it all before and it put me through alot of pain as well.

But coming to admit this helped alot. THanks, Sherry.

AquaChick,

I do tend to punish myself. And it's really really hard not to when I've done so horribly. But you're right - I have to get myself out of this cycle.

You ladies are SO helpful...THANK YOU for your support.