General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default Car Seat in Mexico?

We are going to Mazatlan for a week with a 20 month and 3 year old and my parents.

I want to bring car seats for the plane ride and the taxi ride to the condo. Once we are there we will be using public transport (buses) most of the time.

My dad wants me to leave them home, says they will be in the way, "we never used seatbelts when you were a kid," etc...

I don't know what to do.

He also pointed out that even if you bring carseats, most of the taxis don't have seatbelts.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

Honestly? I'd do my darnedest to rent a car, if the taxis don't have seatbelts. Even if you're using public transport once you're there, the carseats will keep your kids much safer on the plane, and I'm certain the condo has closets.

Of course, I can't say as I'd be too happy with the "We didn't use seatbelts when you were a kid" argument...I'm 26 and my mother has mentioned using a car seat when I was a baby (probably a very crappy one, as I think the late '70s/early '80s were the dawn of car seats), and definitely used seatbelts (seatbelts have been standard gear on cars since the mid-'60s, so unless you're either a lot older than I or your dad likes classic cars even more than mine did, there were most likely seatbelts when you were a kid). I'd be pretty surprised if the taxi really didn't have seatbelts, but honestly I think even without them car seats will be better than nothing; a large part of their safety is their bulk, from all I gather. (Maybe there's a car seat tech on the site who can help out...)
Old 02-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #3  
210 / 193 / 140

So who's responsible for your kids, you or your dad? You're the mom now, so you get to make the decisions. Do what you believe is right, not what will appease your dad.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #4  

I've been to Mexico several times with the kids. I took the carseats every time. Also good for using as high chairs for feeding. Have fun on your trip.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #5  

Have you ever driven in a bus in mexico........scarey! Take the car seat...and hold on!

Liz
Old 02-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #6  

i agree take the seats!.. cabbies are insane in mexico!
Old 02-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #7  
Marathon Goddess

I have to say as someone who travels to Mexico at least once a year, please take the car seat. Seriously public transit there can be very scary, the babies need the extra protection. Better safe than sorry, when dealing with a little ones safety. :-)
Old 02-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Definitley take the car seats!!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #9  

The car seats are a deal breaker- don't leave without them!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrigan
My dad wants me to leave them home, says they will be in the way, "we never used seatbelts when you were a kid," etc...
Possible answers:
  • You didn't have laws requiring them when I was a kid.
  • You didn't have the same high rates of speed when I was a kid.
  • If you're worried about things in the way, why'd you bother taking me with you when I was a kid?
Closed Thread