Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default What are your best "Tips" for weight loss?

We had a really good WW meeting today where everyone shared what they do. There were some really good ideas. I need to make a list of these to put on my fridge.

Write down everything you are going to eat through dinner (including snacks) before you get started for the day.

Keep an apple in the car to eat on the way home from work, so you aren't starving when you get in the door.

Divide large things into real portion sizes when you first get home from the grocery store.

Paint your nails as soon as you get an urge to snack - if necessary do second coats. Do not buy quick drying nail polish.

Take up knitting to keep both your hand busy when you are in front of the tube.

Park your car further from your office each day.

I thought it would be great if everyone could include their "Tips" here.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:36 PM   #2  
takin it one lb at a time

Drink a glass of water before every meal to fill ya up so you don't eat as much.
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 PM   #3  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

i love the nail polish one! plus, even chipping it off keeps my hands occupied. how sad for me...
When I crave something sweet at night, I put some frozen peavhers and frozen blueberries, raspberries in a bowl and add nonfat whipped cream. I'm eating carbs yeah, but i'm not eating chocolate cake!
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:48 PM   #4  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Always take healthy snacks with you when you are planning on being out for a couple of hours or so. That way you have no excuse to buy something that isn't so healthy. We always take a little cooler bag with drinks and snacks. If we don't need them, they just come home for another day, but at least we always have something.
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #5  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

good one , zed! i pack my meals for work/school the night before i go to bed the night before. by the way, that was peaches with berries in my earlier post. i can't type at night
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I like to hang a pair of my biggest jeans-- the ones I used to be able to wear-- around my room so that I see them every day, and remind myself of what I don't want to go back to. You could also alternate this and have a small article of clothing out, to remind you daily of what you are working for.

And I wish I could remember who suggested this, because I got it from the forum, but you should keep a diary and every day write down 1 reason why you made yourself proud that day.
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:37 AM   #7  

I have afew: I always look at the pictures of me when I was bigger and I remember how I felt being that weight so i wont gain it back.
I always have healthy snacks cut up in the fridge for a quick bite to eat.
I always have cold bottles of water available (I cant drink water from a cup for some reason, it has to be in a bottle, not sure why)
I try on my bigger clothes about once a month to remind myself how much I have actually lost.
I treat myself a "little bit" on weekends only, just abit-maybe afew drinks or a very small of cake. This way i dont feel deprived of food.
When I feel hungry at night, I grab a bottle of water (makes me feel full)
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #8  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Smaller = bigger

I use the cm side of the tape measure when measuring - then it feels like any changes in size are more pronounced.

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 AM   #9  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

hoodj0080 - I'm glad you clarified the 'peaches'. I was wondering whether you had some delicious food over there that I was missing out on over here. I LOVE peaches... and nectarines. It is the season for them now and I just wish the season were longer as they are some of my favourite fruits. Tinned peaches are fine, but fresh is best.

I was just thinking... a little hard to do with my foggy brain at the moment... my absolute best tip for weight loss would be to eat as little processed food as you can (lots of fruit and veg) and to exercise (sensibly - I have overdone it lately and am having a little rest for a couple of days) most days of the week. The exercise needs to become part of your daily routine, so you hardly think twice about doing it.

I know that those tips are probably just common sense, but they are what got me to where I am today, so they certainly work.

Take care all,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I'd say, just the cliche'd answer...find something you can stick with, and it'll be easier (read, not EASY, but a little better). If you don't feel like you are deprived of food, you won't binge or cave as easily. Although, this isn't a secret, it's simply common knowledge!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

My weight loss has been a long process (over 100 pounds over 3 years). So, just about every season, I have to buy a new wardrobe. Instead of hanging on to the old stuff, I immediately get rid of it. That way, if I start to gain some weight back, my clothes get tight, and I know that I have to work harder and lose the extra pounds or I won't have anything to wear!
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #12  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I make myself a cup of hot tea with real sugar so it feels like a treat and 2 teaspoons of sugar is ALOT less than a chocolate bar! The sugar satisfies my craving (it's actually working as we speak, hehe) and because the tea is hot, it takes longer to drink which gives me time to get over my craving.

Also, I've re-designed our dinner plates so that they are now 50% veggies, 25% lean meat, fish or poultry and 25% whole grain pasta, brown rice or red potatoes.

Having a carefully thought out menu and grocery list helps, too because then I don't buy the things I know I don't need.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #13  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

Tips that I have found useful.

1. Always, always eat breakfast
2. Only keep healthy food around
3. Always have healthy snacks at hand
4. Eat a big lunch and small dinner
5. Start your day with cardio exercise
6. Drink lots of milk or yogurt
7. Drink lots of water
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Another tip I use every day is plate size.

We have a set of dishes with large and small plates. We serve all our meals on the small plates and hardly ever get out the big ones.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I gave myself permission to be a ***** about food. Well, not really a ***** per se, but I didn't eat anything that I didn't want to eat. Previously - I was so socialized to be a "nice" girl. If people offered me cake, even if I were trying to diet and didn't want cake, if they insisted, I just ate it. If the team wanted to go out to Mexican, I just caved and went out to Mexican.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote