Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/157/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Just need to vent about a plateau

I've read all the previous threads about plateaus, so I'm not looking for advice. I just need to vent my frustration!

I was losing weight fairly steadily at the rate of about 5 pounds per month, which I thought was an achievable pace. There were times I thought that wasn't ambitious enough -- I managed to show a 2 pound loss a few days after Christmas! Whoo hoo!

Or so I thought.

Weighed in at 163 after Christmas. I've bounced between 163 and 161 ever since. Last week I weighed in at 159.75 (I'm SO not a % of a pound type person, but I wanted to mark SOME change) -- and I'm back to 161.

I'm exercising 5-6 days a week: 3 days with 15-20 minutes of cardio and then I do weights. The other 2-3 days I do at least 5 miles, or, like yesterday, I do a 13-mile trail run (which involves running up and down hills).

Now, it's true: I fell off the write-everything-down wagon after Christmas. So I have to get back on that. But the days I have written stuff down, I've been averaging 1500 calories.

My measurements have remained the same for the past month. So it's not muscle-into-fat.

I'm not an experienced weight loser -- the only other time I've intentionally gone about trying to lose weight I was on a liquid diet. (To lose 20 pounds! I laugh at myself now.) "How come it isn't just a simple equation of calories in + energy out = weight loss???" It's so unfair.

Calorie King (the program I use to write down what I eat) suggests that I eat approximately 1350 calories to lose weight. This seems like way too little for the amount of effort I'm putting out, but I'm so tired of 161 I could scream!

Okay. I'm through. (Breath.) i feel much better now. Thanks.
Dianeofnka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5"4

Sorry to hear you have stalled on your efforts. I had the same problem for 3 weeks. I lost 4 lbs though last week. I found that changing my calories really helped. If I were you I'd drop down to about 1200 or 1300 for 3 days or so and see what happens.
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Wow, that would be really irritating. But I'm so glad to read that even though you're not getting the results you want YET, you're still working hard and not giving up. Keep up that attitude and you're bound to break through soon!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #4  

oh gosh I feel your pain I had so many plateaus at least 4 I would go weeks and not lose an ounce. It stinks hang in there
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #5  

I hear you. I have been stuck for two months, again!!! This happened to me in October and November as well. I exercise - cardio 3 days a week, swimming in between and weights, but nothing. I'm having to realise, I have to reduce my calories. It's my in between meals eating that was under control, that now appears not to be, that is the problem.

It's so frustrating, especially when you exercise and work so hard, and the scales don't show the reward.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I've been there too!

I thought I'd busted through and now I've gone up a coupla pounds!

If you're close to goal it takes a tremendous effort to get the last few pounds off, try experimenting with calories day to day, or "calorie cycling" or zig-zagging. There's a few threads about that in calorie counters I think.

Good luck and yes it is soooooooooo frustrating
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hear, hear :| I tend to plateau as well when I near a certain mark... Then I get all discouraged, gain back 4-5 pounds, go down again... I'm never sure how to break these things (please no one say "it's your set point", we both probably don't want to burst this bubble yet *lol*). I hope yours will end soon!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 AM   #8  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

I am right there with all of you...I go 3 weeks at a time before I can see a loss...the last loss I had was only 3 lbs But I will not give up!!!!!! I will get to my goal one way or another lol
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/235/190

Height: 5'6"

I feel your pain. I just broke out of a 3-4 week plateau. First, I thought it was because of my TOM, but that came and went and no pounds left. But, I think I finally broke through!
tlynn1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #10  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I'm only on week four of my diet and I'm already at a plateau!! I think part of it might be because I've been exercising and lifting weights a lot more than I did before and I'm gaining muscle. At least, that's what I like to tell myself.

Just gotta keep your stick on the ice, though.

I really miss playing hockey.
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote