Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #1  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

Default Anyone else have a broken scale ?! I'm so discouraged !!

I started my diet at 250lbs on Feb 2 (I'm not following any specific plan/diet) ... and 2 weeks later I've only lost 5 lbs... and those 5 lbs aren't even confirmed since it depends on what time of day I weigh myself -

My DH wants me to weigh myself once a week so that I'll stop obsessing - and I agreed to only LOG it once a week - but I can't stop myself from stepping on that damn scale.

Everyone always says it's easier to lose HUGE amounts of weight when you're so heavy because the first 20lbs are all water weight .. so why can't I lose weight !?

I cut myself down to 1 - 2 cans of Pepsi a day (from 9 or so) - I've cut my calories to about 1700-2000 from 3500+/day -

I walk on the treadmill 3-5x / week @ 2.5 for at least 20 minutes... and I just bought myself Yoga and Pilates for beginners (to do on the other days) -

I'm trying so hard and it's killing my "willpower" not to see ANY results .. I am almost at the point of saying "heck with it, it's not like I'm losing anything might as well eat what I want"
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #2  
Determined

I hope this doesn't come off wrong (you know, tone being lost on the internet etc..) but you've got to slow down and take a deep breath if you're going to go the distance and lose all the weight. Five pounds in two weeks is great. It's five pounds you don't have to worry about again. And weighing yourself more than once a day is nothing but self sabatoge. If you must weigh every day (I know there are studeis that support this for weight loss) then weigh only in the morning, first thing. Anything else you just can't accurately compare to later on. Although many people do lose a lot of weight dramatically at the beginning, some don't and there's no set amount of water weight that anyone has to lose. You're doing great and making so many positive changes. The pepsi habit alone should yield you some major weight loss, plus it's a hard thing to give up. Exercise will make you feel so much better and help with the weight loss too. I think you've made it through the first really hard period too. Those first couple of weeks as you change habits etc. can be really difficult. So good job, don't be so hard on yourself, and definitely don't give up!!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

well first off- its totally normal to vary your weight during the day! im not a once a week weigher (i weigh almost everday) but i always weigh first thing in the am in the nude... that way i eliminate as many variables as possible. i would suggest only weighing once a day at the same time. I think those 5lbs are confirmed so woohoo for that!! what a great start!

also- if you want to see some quick weightloss try to eliminate some simple carbs (ie think more meat, veggies, lean cheese etc) simple carbs (sugar, pasta, etc) make me retain water.... so this may work for you too! plus its so encouraging to see the scale go dooowwwnnn...

finally- are you measuring ? (i dont but...) i am betting you have prob replaced some fat with muscle... since muscle weighs more you will see the loss in the measurements, not necessarily on the scale.

dont get discouraged- your lifestyle changes sound AMAZING! plus slow and steady wins the race...people who lose the 2.5 recommended max a week are more likely to keep it off than people who drastically lose. (so ive read!)

GOOD LUCK!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #4  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Everybody is different with regards to how (and how quickly) they lose weight -- as far as water weight goes, that's also very dependent on how you were holding/processing water to begin with. If you were the type of person who generally kept themselves hydrated and kept the salt at reasonable levels to begin with, you might not see the "water weight" because you may be starting with losing "real" weight instead. But all told, 5 pounds is still a good accomplishment! Go grab a 5 lb bag of sugar, and you'll feel the result that you lost already. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #5  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply ..

My goal is to lose 75lbs by the first of next year (basically 1-2 lbs / week) .. I guess I just expected to see a bigger "jump" in the begining (if you know what I mean) - and then slowing down after a while...

I realize it took me a while to put all this weight on - and that it won't come off overnight - it's just so damn discouraging to feel like I'm constantly "working" at it .. (ie. reading labels, measuring portions, fitting in my excersize, etc).

Anyway - thank you Oh and HappyDaisy - it didn't come off wrong I got what you were trying to say
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

i say hide the scales!! i had to. i was weighing every morning. and sometimes at night. and it would be so discourageing to see those numbers go up 2 pounds in the evening. so, this week, when i weighed in, I put the scales in the linen closet. I am not bringing them out until friday morning for weigh in on the board. and then, back in the closet. and i try not to measure but once, maybe twice a month, but no more than that. i am just trying to realize this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. i excersize just about every day, and try to watch what i eat, and know that this is good for my heart and lungs and circulation. of course, i want the weight to fall off too, but i too try to rationalize that i did not get fat over night, i will not get thin over night. i just wish i would stop putting off seeing some of my old friends, because i want them to be surprized when they see me again and i am thinner. i want that real reaction...."oh my gosh, you have lost weight!!!" not the reaction i get from work, where every one there sees me walking every day at lunch and feel the need to tell me they can tell i'm slimming down. i don't believe it. i am still in the same size pants i have been in for the past year. it's just now "I" know they are fitting better.

good luck and remember to take it one day at a time and not to stress. it will take time. just hang in there!!! hugs!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #7  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

While the jury seems to still be out in the Weigh-Every-Day vs Weigh-Once-a-Week debate, everyone seems to agree that you should aim for consistency. Do it at the same time every weigh-in, wearing (or not ) the same clothes as last time.

Many people seem to think you'll get your best reading first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and nude (or as close to nude as you're comfy with).

For me, personally, I weigh every day, first thing in the morning. That way, I can keep closer tabs on what's going on and make any minor tweaks to my day that may be needed. I've only been doing that for the past few weeks, having been a once-a-weeker before. I find it helps me feel much more in control.

I try to weigh just once (although I slip sometimes), because I read that your weight can fluctuate as much as 6 pounds in a single day between morning and night. It depends on your activity that day, how much water you're holding at that particular moment, etc. One person I read about swore he gained 2 pounds just by taking a shower (he assumed his skin absorbed water!).

I can tell you from personal experience, I've seen fluctuations of 3-4 in a day. It was scary and highly discouraging until I read more about daily fluctuations. ((whew)).

I've set Fridays as my "official" weigh in, the one I use for record keeping, but I keep track every day. Oh, and by the way, my official measurement recording day will be the First Friday of every month, since I figure the tape measure will be slower to show changes than the scale will.

Whatever you decide to do, first congratulate yourself on your First 5!!! That's absolutely fantastic! Oh, and are you recording your day? I'm finding that helps me a lot. I use FitdayPC to keep track of food and activities every day. There are other programs out there as well.

I'm new, too (well, a life-long dieter, but new to this attempt ), and learning new things every day. We can do it!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote