Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Should I feel guilty??

I barely got in 1000 calories yesterday because I just did not feel well. I felt a little sick to my stomach, my muscles ached from the jog the day before, I just felt like crap. Just to get my calories up to 1000, i had to eat half a candy bar and drank some juice when i took some tylenol.

So, today, I am at work, and didn't have any time to fix lunch to bring with me, so i had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast and decided to go to Popeyes at lunch today. And yes, I did splurge and got the strips with the crisp on it. and i ate the whole bisquit too. but i didn't seem to care for the fries though. which is unusual.

I did get a mile walk in this morning when it was so cold and windy out, and I jogged 4/10 of that mile. I plan to go for another mile walk before I go home today and hope to jog some of that mile too.

So, should I be feeling guilty right now?? I want to up my calories today so I can drop them back down tomorrow. I want to zig zag my calories but am new to it. I know next saturday, the 25th, i will be eating unhealthy some because it is my daughters 4th birthday. so I want to partake in the hot dogs, and cheese and salsa dip with crackers and the birthday cake.

What do you think??
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #2  

Personally, I don't believe that guilt has a place in any weight loss program. We have to make our choices and live with them. The important thing is that you are making wise choices MOST of the time. Nobody is perfect.

I zig-zag my calories and it really isn't any different, planning wise, than just counting calories. Whatever calorie level will result in your desired weight loss is still what you aim for. You are just looking at the week as a whole rather than day by day. I do try and make sure that I don't go below 1200 calories on any given day and my higher calorie days don't look any different nutritionally than my lower ones. When I increase my calories I do so by including a few additional healthy foods and don't use those higher calorie days as an opportunity to eat junk - most of the time. There is nothing wrong with planning around a birthday party and the indulgent treats that come along with it. But, typically, your higher calorie days should be the same healthy foods you normally eat - just more of them.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #3  

You're right. there is no room for guilt. i wanted to eat from popeyes because i haven't eaten there in a long time, but the really weird thing is, i didn't enjoy it as much as i use to. maybe because i knew it wasn't very healthy. i don't know, but now all i can think about it getting outside and walking another mile so i make sure i am getting that food moving. I don't know why i felt guilty. but i am not over my calories for the day, so i am not going to stress it. Just going to get out there and do something about it.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I also try to eliminate guilt, and also focus on eating more healthy food more often. But it doesn't happen every meal. Here it is almost 3:30 and I just finished a slice of pizza and realize I really haven't fit in any fruits and veggies yet today. Now I know what I'm having for dinner to compensate -- big salad here I come! And I think some fresh pineapple for dessert... For me, it really is all about balance.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I agree, balance is definitely the answer. Never beat yourself up for what looks like one bad day. Maybe if things still look "junky" after a week, it might be time to have a little heart-to-heart chat with yourself. Always remember that you do not fail until you forever stop trying.

You might want to pre-plan for the birthday junk by trying for a really healthy day on the 24th. But if it doesn't happen, just keep on going forward from there.

I will probably be eating a little too lavishly on the 25th myself since it is my birthday, too. I am, however a smidge older than your daughter. If you can think of 59 years older as being a "smidge".

Have agreat day.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #6  

ahhhhh, happy soon to be birthday this weekend meowee. i have to laugh, when i saw your screen name, the first thing i thought of was my oldest daughter. she is 14 and her favorite thing to say right now is....meowee. too funny.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree! You should not feel guilty... we all need to have a plan we can live with and just because one day you were not pleased with your choices just means you are still on your path and keep going! Guilt will only weigh us down and discourage us. Keep up the good work!

Dance
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

At times like this, I like to point out that "if you have to ask, the answer is usually NO!" I said this once to a girl who wouldn't stop asking her friends if it was okay to date a guy whose best friend had an obvious crush on her (or something like that--I wasn't really into the drama of the situation), so I finally just spoke up and said, "If you have to keep asking, then the answer is most likely NO, it's NOT okay!" That seems to apply here, too If you have to ask about whether or not you should feel guilty, then it's obviously not a big enough deal to really be worried about! You either feel guilty or you don't--that's up to you personally, and everyone deals with the same situation differently, so do whatever works best for you. Some people are motivated by guilt, while others are hindered and/or discouraged by it.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I did the exact same thing. I was sick for a week and barely got 1000 calories most of those days. Then when my appetite came back I REALLY wanted cheesy bread pizza from pizza hut. I spent $16 on a whole pizza for myself. Suprised myself by only eating 2 slices. Gave the rest to my family the next day when they came back. I satisfied my craving and that was it. Personally if you don't live like you can live this way for the rest of your life, you are setting yourself up for failure anyway. I do know that fattening food isn't the same after I stopped eating so much of it. I think it is an addiction that we have to break and can easily come back. Does that mean we can never have any. I know that won't be the case for me. I love guilt free dieting.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #10  

Good point, Jill! Usually if we need to feel guilty we know VERY well!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #11  

You know, after I posted this, i thought about the way I felt when I was eating the food. I don't think I particularly enjoyed the food that much. And that may be why I felt bad. Like I had wasted my money and calories on the food I had choosen. I used to love Popeyes and haven't had it in over a month. And then when i decided to spluge, it wasn't as good as I remembered it. Maybe my taste buds are changing a little with my attitude. Now, don't get me wrong, i am not eating near enough vegetables yet, but I am trying. it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. So, I am getting my 2 to 3 servings of fruit, and am trying to incorporate vegetables too. which is hard because i don't like very many vegetables and barely any fruits. so to be getting my fruits in every day, is a victory in itself.

but at least I learned something sunday. I don't really crave deep fried anymore. and that is a good thing. and at mcdonalds, i have taken my meal down from a grown up size to a happy meal size. so that is a good thing. and that size satisfies me. so, i know i am making small changes that will affect my lifestyle. (I also discovered i really do like my water over diet soda's most of the time too.)
Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #12  
MDG

S/C/G: 260/255/160

what is it about vegetables that you dont like? I have a feeling that you will get to a point where you crave them. I have not eaten a hamburger form any fast food place in months....I cant even remember. My boyfriend and i even went out and bought some turkey burgers but I had a hard time eating it...i didnt really like the flavor. When you are expecting beef and you get turkey it really noticeable. I am going to try again though, with more seasoning or something.
Currently we drink only diet soda's and water, eat low sugar syrup, on our pancakes, eat low sugar jelly...and we are so used to these items now when we have the real thing it is like ICK.
I have not had a real soda in years, so it looks like i am having no trouble replacing those calories with other things. HAAnd i have not eaten a french fry in 2 months.
Mardigras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #13  

Good for you, Lumi! I know exactly what you mean! When I have that junk out of my system and then eat it, I find it is not nearly as great as I expected! That is real progress and something you can remind yourself of next time!

I too used to think I did not like veggies and fruits much but keep trying as I have found that if they are prepared right and junk is out of my system they are yummy! Try a steamer for nice veggies... I have a double T-Fal one that does rice at the same time. Also a lot of veggies are GREAT on the George Foreman grill... red peppers and baby carrots are yum! Asparagus and broccoli are horrid LOL. But maybe people here could share tips on how to jazz up the veggies and you could learn to like them more.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

lumi--I feel your pain on the veggies. I don't think I have EVER had 3+ servings of real veggies in a day for as long as I can remember...I just don't like em! I'm different with fruit--love all kinds of fruit--but they are much higher in calories, so I still have to watch that. Veggies, though...man, I have tried so many, and I just can't do it! I don't even like the normal veggies like carrots or tomatoes! I have found, however, that spinach is easy to hide in a lot of food, so I do eat that. I use it instead of lettuce in salads and on sandwiches, and I practically liquify it in my food processor and add it to pasta sauce (can't taste it at all!). I've also grown slightly fond of adding veggies to noodles or rice to make a side dish--that way, I have veggies but not alone--I mix them with noodles or rice (wheat noodles or brown rice, of course) and add a little bit of sauce (such as honey dijon marinade--YUM!). I also have to cook broccoli until it is practically mush and has no flavor (I know this removes some of the nutrients, but it is mush or nothing!)--otherwise, I won't eat it at all. Man, I am picky
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #15  

i did buy some frozen broccli to steam and put some of that fake butter on top of. i eat the broccoli when it comes in those lean crusine meals, or healthy choice meals. and it is pretty good. I do like zucini slightly cooked with some soy sauce, just have to make sure to get the low sodium one. i like turnips with vinegar, and of course, the white potatoe and corn which have lots of carbs to them. i like sweet peas too....right out of the can and into the microwave. lol. there are some veggies i like, but not enough to really get a variety in. i don't like peppers at all. not green, or yellow or orange. i could try spinich in my salads i suppose.

and i don't think i care for brown rice. i tried it before, but it just didn't taste good. what can i add to it to make it taste better. i still have half a bag at home, but i just don't seem to like the taste.