South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #1  
Bird Nerd

Default Biscuits and Gravy

I am a southern girl who is dieing for some biscuits and gravy. Does anyone have a recipe for whole wheat biscuits or SB gravy? Is this a long shot?
Thanks
wildlifebio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wildlife...try www.allrecipes.com for WW biscuit recipes. Keep in mind that almost all WW recipes out there call for mostly white flour and you'll have to substitute. I'd try making them with WW pastry flour, which is softer. If it makes a ton, try putting just a tiny bit of white flour in...like 1/4 or 1/3 cup to make them fluffier. Make sure you use healthy fats...Land O Lakes now makes a light butter that has canola oil in it...that works well in baking.

For gravy, you'll have a little bit of a harder time. Try using one of the transfat margerines and WW pastry flour to make a roux and add your broth to make the gravy (or follow the recipe you have at home). You can check the ingredients on jars and cans of gravy to see what's out there...but I have a feeling this has to be homemade. It's a lot of work, so, like some things on SBD, you have to decide if the the work is worth it to you. If so...you'll figure out a way to make it!

Good luck hon! I'm making a chicken pot pie tonight with a biscuit crust. If they turn out well, I'll post the biscuit recipe, okay?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hey! Bean flour of chick pea flour works to thicken gravy. I don't know how it would work in biscuits though.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #4  

I love southern cooking also and this is what I tried. I did make buttermilk ww biscuits and they were good. But - I also bought the white ww flour so I'm going to try that next. As far as gravy - don't laugh - I was also determined to make something that I could have once in a GREAT while. I had a tenderized chicken breast - dredged it in ww pastry flour (seasoned with salt, pepper etc) and fried (shame on me) it in canola oil. I made my gravy from that also using ww pastry flour and 1% milk. . .It turned out very good - but I also wouldn't allow myself to have very much. The rest of the family really liked it - including my gravy loving grandchildren. I think the biscuits will be much better using the white ww - I will let you know. I considered this OFF program for sure. . .but I thought it wasn't as bad as if certainly could have been.
cfoxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #5  
I can do this!

cfoxn, what you did is PERFECT and you shouldn't feel guilty at all! I know it sounds crazy, but if you fried it in a little oil in a pan, you could have that once a week without any problem, I would think! If you deep fry it, I'd try to make it just a special treat. But even a couple tbsp of canola oil isn't that bad at all. In fact, they say Canola is even better for you than Olive!

Could you post a recipe for us in the forum? That'd be awesome!

Now if someone could just come up with a recipe for country gravy, SBD style... (what you southerners call 'milk gravy') I'd be in heaven!

BTW, White WW flour is the same as WW pastry flour. Both use a different kind of wheat that is a bit softer than the regular kind...so the flour is softer, too.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #6  

I just used the drippings to make what I call milk gravy. I don't measure - just add some ww flour to the drippings (I stir with a spatula) and add until you get the consistency right and then add your milk. I did try the ff half and half. . .I didn't like the taste and my granddaughters really didn't like it.
cfoxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This is an interesting thread! So, Laurie, is the white ww flour SBD friendly for us? I've seen it and been tempted to buy it, but wasn't sure.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:36 AM   #8  
Who needs sleep?

cottage - the only difference between white ww flour and red ww flour is the variety of wheat. They are both fine.

I've made biscuits using ww pastry flour (Bob's Red Mill brand), and while they were okay, the didn't rise nearly as much. I think it might just be my baking powder, though - it's getting a little old.

I like arrowroot as a thickener - we use it often in Asian cooking. I think that is okay on SBD, isn't it?
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #9  

I love biscuits and gravy! I make my biscuits with Pioneer Low Fat Biscuit & Baking Mix (140 calories, .5g fat, 1 fiber) and skim milk. I was never a good gravy maker so I use Southeastern Mills Old Fashioned Pepper Gravy Mix (I buy it at the Wonder Bread Store but have also found it at Albertsons and other grocery stores). It's only 50 calories, 3g fat for 1/4 cupj, easy to make and the best gravy I've ever made! I don't like sausage in my gravy but I did see Southeastern Mills makes a sausage flavored gravy mix also.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sounds great but not OK for SOuth Beach. Thanks for the hint though. One of tehse days...........
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #11  

Arrowroot is just fine as a thickener. It is just more expensive so it isn't used as much.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Okay, the biscuits for the Pot Pie turned out great for that, but are pretty bad on their own, even with jam and smart balance. (I felt it was important that I taste teste them... )

But this week I'm going to try making a 'fried' chicken and gravy recipe along with sesame WW buttermilk biscuits (and veggies, of course. ) I'll let you know how it goes!