Old 02-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #1  

Default Exercise and weight loss goal

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been on LAWL since right before Christmas. I've lost a good amount of weight so far so I am pleased with the diet. I have read some of the exercise discussions here and have learned a lot. I went to weigh in yesterday (lost .6 from the weekend) and asked about going to another plan because of my exercising. She said that I will need to move to the red plan from gold which is what was said in the discussion that I read. But my question is, since I didn't think about it until I got home, do I need to adjust my goal weight?

My sister has been on LAWL and has done great! She has the same build as me and has gotten down to 140 without exercising. She looks great, but now I'm thinking that if I'm gaining muscle from my working out about 5 to 6 days a week, that I won't get to the 140, which is at the low end of my weight range. I started working out with Pilates last week and I can already see results and my weight loss has slowed down. I ordered Turbo Jam and am getting it on Friday.

Can anyone help me with this question? Earlier in life, I worked out all the time, but never had a weight loss goal. Didn't need one. Now I'm not sure about the muscle factor.

Thanks everyone for any advice you have.

Diane
ConnorsMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #2  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hi Diane, and welcome. I have been thinking about this too, since I just started exercising last week as well. This is the conclusion that I have come to: I am going to leave my goal weight the same for now, but I am not going to ruled by numbers on the scale. I am going to rely on clothing sizes and body fat %. I was in a 2/4 in high school. I don't know if I can get back there or not, but even a 5/6 would be excellent for me. If I weigh more than I wanted to because I have built muscle, then fine. Muscle does not jiggle or wiggle, right? Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Come on over to the Feb Losers and Friends thread and say hello. Katie
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #3  

Katie,

Thanks for your reply. I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm just going to workout and not worry about the scale. The important thing is to be healthy and look good, right?

Thanks again!

Diane
Old 02-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #4  
Katie

That's what I think too. If I know I look great, and I feel great, what more is there to be concerned with?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #5  
PurpleSunshine

just wanted to let you guys know what my trainer at the gym told me too - When you start working out (especially with any weights) your body will start building muscle mass. As it builds - of course, it weighs more, but in the long run - the more muscle - the more calories it burns just by being there. The more muscle you have the more calories you are burning throughout the entire day other than just when you exercise. I know this is common sense, but he did tell me at some point, I would gain about 2-3 lbs, but then it would start melting off b/c the muscle would really start working to my "weight-loss" benefit.... Hope this makes sense and is not to redundant
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #6  
Katie

Thanks Heather, it does make sense.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #7  

Thanks Heather! That's good info to know. I can't wait for that to happen. I can see a difference from working out but I can still see a lot of flab! Consistancy! That's the key! I'm not giving up.

Diane
Old 02-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #8  
PurpleSunshine

Definitely don't give up girl - I've slowed down in the weight loss - but I can tell my clothes are fitting so much better and I feel stronger!! As long as I know I'm getting healthy and following plan - I'm okay with it!!
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #9  

Right Heather! Also you may have to change your goal weight based on muscle mass...but for the general population you shouldn't have to...I try to build muscle which at my age is hard boohoo lol but I will NEVER be 130 unless I go skinny fat and lose the muscle tone which I don't want to do...at 160 I am wearing 10's and they are getting loose....so everyone is shaped different and muscle does weigh more
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote