Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #1  

Default Fasting question

I have a question that I am hoping someone can lend some advice too. I am fasting (spiritual, not weightloss) and praying for the rest of the week (6AM-6PM) I have some things going on with DS that I really need to give over to God to handle. I was wondering how best to do it. I do not care so much about the fact that I will have “messed” up my metabolism because I can make up this week later, my DS is my main concern right now. I just want to know basically how to best handle eating and to maintain my commitment to pray and fast without ceasing. My COD was very, I’ll just say not helpful, and I am not trying to have some debate over whether God really will answer my prayers or not like they seemed to want to do. I know my beliefs and I don’t want to be rude but I am not trying to fight over what I believe, just merely wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to fast when you are “dieting”

Last edited by shennie_97; 02-14-2006 at 10:02 AM.
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #2  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

Shennie, I don't have too much advice for you on how to handle fasting while dieting. Are you fasting the entire day or just certain meals? I've already fasted just dinner for spiritual reasons because my body just can't seem to handle no food very well. As far as the COD goes, if they don't understand what or why you are fasting, who cares?
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #3  
Back in the saddle!

Height: 5'8"

Shennie, I don't know if I'm much help, but I'll try. First, let me say that I hope your prayers are answered, and that you get the strength you need from God to handle whatever the situation is.

Secondly, in my experience, religious fasts are best handled as followed:

* Not done while on TOM
* Do not eat during daylight hours. So, if you want to get up early and have something light in the AM before sunup, that would be okay; and if you want to have something in the evening after sundown that is okay.
* Drink plenty of water, but not anything else during daylight.

Again, I hope you get the answers you seek.
green0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

If you feel lead by God to fast and pray ... He will see you through it.
I've been accused of being too simple before ... but ....
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #5  

What's COD?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #6  

thanks Susan..and COD is the term we use in LAWL for the centers we go to to WI at (it means Center of Doom...just our play on humor)

green, emmy~ thanks. i am having a light breakfast and dinner. i do not fear being hungry, rather I just want to make the correct food choices for the meals that I am having.
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #7  

Shennie when I fast it is sunup to sundown. I always make sure to get my starch in in the am with some protein and have a good dinner.

Good Luck and God Bless you and yours.

Bernadette
thnknthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #8  

Center of Doom
My daughter fasting in Bible College for a weekend, I think. I honestly couldn't tell you what she was studying at that point. What I understood from her was that she had fluids all planned out thus freeing her thoughts from anticipating food or it's preparation. Something along the lines of taking your mind off the corporate for it to be more fully involved in your thoughts ??? I didn't put that very well but perhaps you know what I mean.
She honestly felt that God protected her from the munchies and stomach growling hunger. She neither lost nor gained weight.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Id say make sure you have your protein and veggies when you do have your meal, at the bare minimum...maybe a yogurt and egg for breakfast. I repect your views and your right to have them but have no concept of what fasting has to do with prayer, Ive never even heard of this- but wanted to lend my food opinion.
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #10  
PurpleSunshine

I think you have some great ideas I just wanted to wish you luck and hope that your prayers are answered!!! Good luck with everything.

I will say that I think getting the protein and the veggies would be the most important - maybe if you do eat before sunup - get a fruit and some dairy or starch?? maybe just try to get at least one of each food group in whenever you do eat??
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #11  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hi Shennie, I admire your strength and commitment. You are such a good mother. I would say that protein is key, and of course water. I do believe in fasting and prayer, it was worked in our family before too. If we can be any support, just say the word. Katie
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #12  
slowlyshrinking

Hi Shennie - I hope your prayers are answered. I teach at a college with a lot of international students, and the Muslim students fast during the daylight hours during Ramadan. As I understand it, they eat a light breakfast (protein, starch) in the morning before sunrise, and then can drink water during the day. Then they eat their big meal of the day after sunset. They invited other students and faculty to join them for a day of fasting and prayer a couple of years ago, and then we all got together for dinner - I don't remember being hungry at all, until we went into the ballroom and could SMELL all the food.
I wish you the best and hope that your prayers are answered!
slowlyshrinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #13  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Shennie--I will add you to my prayer list. God will see you through it. You are a strong woman and smart in handing it over to Him. I give it all to Him at the end of the day--I figure He's going to be up all night anyway! My 9 year old is being baptised by her uncle this Sunday so this has been an amazing week for us. Sounds like you have been given great advice already so I'll just offer my prayers for things to work out for you and your son.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #14  

Shennie what about abstaining from any extras and only eat your meals...since you have to eat to lose but you can discipline yourself in the no extras and only meals and exact weight of what you should have
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote