Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #1  

Default Relora

Hi I am new. Well, I have been visiting this site for years but have finally joined. I am wondering where I can get my cute little goal scale to put on my posts?

Anyway, the reason I am posting really,is I just bought a bottle of stuff called Relora. I have tried it, and it does seem to do something ,however I hesitate to take it in the morning because it kind of makes you sleepy. I suspose I am not used to it.

I did a search and couldn't find any opinion here about it. I am wondering if anyone else has tried it and what you think, or what you have heard.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #2  

Hi, and welcome to 3FC's!

You can find out how to add a weight tracker to your sig by reading this post http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56332 I hope that helps!

I've never heard of Relora, which I think is telling. If something worked, even kinda, you can bet that there would be a ton of information about it, and not just from the people that make/sell it. Not just here on 3FC's, but on the front page of every newspaper and magazine in the country. Sorta like how it was with phen-fen, before they found it out was killing people.

Eating less and exercising more works. What sort of plan are you using now, besides taking the relora?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'd never heard of it, but with the dozens upon dozens of different 'diet nostrums' being released on a regular basis, I'm not all that surprised.

It wasn't at all hard to find links on the stuff (mostly sales links) with a Google search. It appears that the company is using the currently-popular "weight gain through stress/cortisol" ploy that so many other 'weight loss' products use.

Looking at their 'official' website, it looks as though they're also playing the old game of having a "patented proprietary formula" to make it sound like what they're selling is something special. Having a patent on something doesn't mean the stuff WORKS.

The "Phellodendron amurense" extract that they refer to is a tree known as the Amur Corktree - a common ornamental plant - which according to the Nature Conservatory and UC Davis is considered an invasive species in the US. I haven't found anything saying that the extract is effective for weight loss (which doesn't really surprise me). I did find this page which states in part:

Quote:
Amur Cork Tree is used as a remedy for meningitis and as an eyewash for conjunctivitis. It is also useful in treating acute diarrhea, dysentery, jaundice, vaginal infections, acute urinary tract infections, enteritis, boils, abscesses, night sweats and skin diseases. Amur Cork Tree is used intramuscularly for upper respiratory tract infections. This tree is also used to lower fevers, reduce blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and treat bloody urine and kidney problems.
And as a warning:

Quote:
Amur Cork Tree has strong actions and should be used with caution. It is not for use by pregnant or nursing women. Safety in young children or those with severe liver or kidney disease is not known.
As far as Magnolia officinalis - aka Magnolia Bark - you can read Supplementwatch's review of it here. Even though there are new "claims" of possible weight loss links, a claim (as in claims made in marketing these diet pills) is QUITE a bit different from actual proof in the form of peer-reviewed studies, IMO.

This bit on their website got my attention:

Quote:
Is Relora® FDA Approved?

Relora®, like all dietary supplements, is regulated by the FDA under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994.
What BS THAT is...the DSHEA basically ties the FDA's hands - the FDA DOES NOT 'regulate' these products. But I guess the Relora people couldn't just say the truth ('No') when they could use doublespeak instead, along with referring to studies on their site but not giving ANY information or abstract other than what they want to use to sell their product...
Old 02-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #4  
Marathon Goddess

Ive never heard of Relora being used as a weightloss supplement, but I have heard it touted as an herbal supplement for anxiety, I have anxiety, which I have been medicated for in the past, only reason Ive even heard of this, but I havent used it, and now I control my anxiety with yoga. Anyway, its supposed to calm you down, which Im sure somewhere they have taken as less stress means weightloss, but in the past they did not market it as a weightloss aid, of course anything to make money, so I can see them jumping on that bandwagon.

I can totally see it making you sleepy as its supposed to have a calming affect. As with any of these herbal supplements, I really cant stress enough about talking to you Dr about it. Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Hi, and welcome to 3FC's!

Eating less and exercising more works. What sort of plan are you using now, besides taking the relora?
Hi Thanks.

I've been trying to lose the weight by strictly lifestyle change but while I have lost 20 lbs that way(this took four years to do) I am stuck at 145. They say don't do anything you are not willing to stick with the rest of your life so I don't know what to do now, since I have made all the lifestyle changes I am comfortable with. I think the only way I can lose now is actually count calories and I know I am going to be too hungry.

Quote:
What BS THAT is...the DSHEA basically ties the FDA's hands - the FDA DOES NOT 'regulate' these products. But I guess the Relora people couldn't just say the truth ('No') when they could use doublespeak instead, along with referring to studies on their site but not giving ANY information or abstract other than what they want to use to sell their product...
LOL That is classic!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingstar67
Hi Thanks.

I've been trying to lose the weight by strictly lifestyle change but while I have lost 20 lbs that way(this took four years to do) I am stuck at 145. They say don't do anything you are not willing to stick with the rest of your life so I don't know what to do now, since I have made all the lifestyle changes I am comfortable with. I think the only way I can lose now is actually count calories and I know I am going to be too hungry.
Sounds like you're doing great...take it from me a girl who knows - slow and steady wins the race especially when it comes to permanent weight loss.

I'd like to invite you to mosey down to the Maintainers Forum - I think you'll find some great advice and support there (also check out the threads from last year's Maintainer's reading club of the great book "Thin for Life" by Anne Fletcher...definintely worth reading!).
Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 AM   #7  
working back to pre-preg

S/C/G: 202/155/145

Like you, I have worked my way down by dieting and exercise. I read about Relora in First for Women magazine. Several women had tried to and had excellent weight loss, stress, and sleep, results over the course of three months. I ordered a bottle from the website mentioned in the magazine. It hasn't arrived in the mail yet. It was on sale for $15. That isn't a bad price. Most diet pills are pretty pricey. I've given in to temptation and tried to buy miracle pills before. Obviously, they didn't work. I am interested in trying Relora for anxiety. Considering, it is almost 1am...I could use the sleep benefits as well. I take an Omega-3 supplement for stress, as an alternative to Paxil(which I stopped taking a few months back). I am eager to try the Relora.
Have you had any results(weight,stress,sleep)? I'm interesting in hearing.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #8  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Hi,

I think this is an old post by now but I am new here.

I've been taking Relora along with B complex 100 (100 of each B) for about 6 months now, and I started taking both because of anxiety attacks.

Since taking both the Relora and B 100 my anxiety is gone. I did not lose any weight on it that i am aware of, but then I was not watching what i was eating until 2 weeks ago.

So.. is it the B100 and Relora that is working? I don't know.. I just know that I take both, and my anxiety attacks are no more. and I was having them on a regular basis for about 1 year after I had a car accident and a lot of work stress.

~ Angie
Old 06-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

B100 is supposed to help with anxiety issues so I'd guess it is that.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #10  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Yes the B100 seems to do the trick. THANK goodness because I was having to go to the doctor every other week, before I started taking them.

I feel SOOO much better now. Ugh!
Closed Thread