Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #1  

Lightbulb Anyone up to the challenge of a Walkathon?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a lurker who rarely posts however your posts have been of great insight and comfort to me over the years, so I thank you immensely.

I have always wanted to do a marathon but something or other always prevented it. On Feb 9th it will be my birthday and I have been thinking about getting out of my skin and doing something really positive for myself and for a charity. I am thus, seriously considering the AvonWalk for breast Cancer. I am based in NYC so the leg I would be doing is Oct 2-5. It's a two-day walkathon, totaling 39.2 miles. That's a huge number and a huge challenge for someone who is 262 lbs, works full time and is pursuing a masters part-time. I feel really strongly about doing it though. I will be making my final decision on Thursday when I go in to an introductory session. There is a sign-up fee of $55 and all participants are expected to raise - or pay themselves - a minimum of $1,800. That's a lot of money and a huge challenge to many of us but considering that Feburary has just began, I believe totally possible. I thought this was the perfect forum to request supporters - those who will want to walk with me here in NYC or even if you decide to put something together for your hometown. Breast Cancer affects so many women that I feel honored that the idea of participating has actually come to me.

I'll post back on Thursday to let you all know how the meeting went and whether I have decided to take the plunge. In the meantime, I'm wondering if there are any folks out there who would like to link up and be a part of this with me.

Thank you for reading,

Kaye.
kayemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #2  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Great idea! I hope you decide to go for it. I think that you have enough time to train realistically so that you're fairly comfortable during the walk. I've heard from many people that the support on those walks is INCREDIBLE--and that's the actual race support, as well as the emotional support from the women doing the walk. And what a great motivator for your overall changes! Just by training, you'll be more conscious of the food you eat (because now you're TRAINING, not DIETING).
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225-(32 bmi)/196/174-(24bmi)

Height: 5'10"

I am going to do the walk in San Francisco in July. I am looking forward to it. The info hasn't come in the mail yet.
SASCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I've done a couple, but on a MUCH smaller scale. 10 miles was the max. It's fun and if you do it with someone, it goes by fast because you talk and walk. You can take mini breaks. Definately start doing some training now for that big of a walk. If it is 2 days, you'll want some camp stuff.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #5  

Default The more I think about it the more excited I get, and you're

right it will be a fantastic way to lose weight without the obsession - since weight loss won't be my primary goal, but an added benefit. Thanks for the suport.

Kayemu
Old 02-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #6  

Default Are you scared at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASCS
I am going to do the walk in San Francisco in July. I am looking forward to it. The info hasn't come in the mail yet.
I'm daunted by the possibility of blisters and tendonitis and all that comes with the territory, so I'm reading whatever walkathon related materials I get my hands on. I want to enjoy it in the most healthy way possible.

Kayemu
Old 02-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #7  

Default Thanks for the heads up. I think, Avon sets up a campsite

so hopefully I won't have to worry too much about that. So far, they sound very organized.

Kaye
Old 02-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #8  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Hey Kaye--if you're looking for reading materials, I'll suggest two that might be of interest: (1) Jeff Galloway's booking on running marathons. He provides a very sensible approach to surviving a marathon and ultimately, his information can be adapted for walking and for the distance you will be doing. I think it's a good approach for a BEGINNER because you only have one long walk a week, and as a heavy beginner, it will be as important to get good rest for your joints and muscles as to do the actual training (in that respect, I'd encourage you to set up your first month or two if you've been fairly inactive at a VERY easy pace just to get your joints used to things--this will also help you avoid injury at a more critical time in your training)....and related to avoiding injury...(2) Bob Andersen's book "Stretching" which is the bible of stretching IMO. The book has tons of very short (10-15 minutes) stretching routines for different activities. Along with a gradual ramp-up for your distance training, stretching will probably be one of the things that you want to do regularly to help avoid injury.

And of course...INVEST IN REALLY GOOD SHOES AT THE BEGINNING. See if you can find a running store--they can do a gait analysis and note that most running stores also cater to walkers. Be sure to tell them what you're training for. And...yes...it can be a bit uncomfortable to walk in there with all those gazelle runners around, but a GOOD store will make you as comfortable as anyone else and will treat you as an athlete too (you may be at a different stage of your "athletic career" but they'll understand the importance of what you're trying to do). Know that for those of us on the hefty side--with regular training, you may well go through several pairs of $100 shoes between now and October (probably be ready to break in your 3rd pair by October). If you can afford it, get 2 pairs up front and alternate them for workouts (buy 1 pair first to be sure they're comfortable COMPLETELY during workouts). "Resting" shoes on alternate days helps preserve the cushioning in the soles.

Whew...got a bit long-winded here.....
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #9  

Default I will definitely take your suggestions to heart - especially

the gait analysis. My biggest fear is actually injuring myself. The more I think about it though, the more excited I become so the fear has strong competition with my enthusiasm Thank you for all that great advise.

Kaye
Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #10  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Default Go for it!!

I have walked in the Breast Cancer 3 Day (3 Days/60 Miles). It was one of the most rewarding and challenging things I have ever done. I also served on crew for the 3 Day last year, and will be doing that again this year. (No it wasn't so bad I'll never walk it again! - I had ankle surgery and wasn't sure for last year and had a BLAST supporting all the walkers I want to do that again before I repeat the walking.)

I weighed about 189 when I walked, and did great until the blisters came. Even with them I walked all 60 and could not have had a better time. I hope you choose to experience this.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225-(32 bmi)/196/174-(24bmi)

Height: 5'10"

I found walking marathon sites on the internet that had great training schedules. There are socks out there called "blister resisters". They are pricey, ($10.00 a pair), but I only used them for running and never had blisters. I know that if you can't make the entire distant you can get a ride to the campsite for the night. I work with woman who have done it the last couple of years and all of them loved it. I figure the worst will be sleeping in a tent in San Francisco in July-burrrrrrr when the fog rolls in.
SASCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #12  

Default Thanks a lot for that, you did a 60? I can't imagine doing

that but you are inspiring me to do the 39 that I'm thinking about.

Kaye.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #13  

Default I'll be looking into the "blister resisters"!

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I'll be in NY where I'm sure I'll appreciate the fall because it will still be warm.

Kaye
Old 02-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Wow, that's amazing...at my current state, I can't imagine walking more than 5 miles! I hope you decide to go for it!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/ and http://www.marathonwalking.com/
are both great sites for getting information about beginning a walking program. There are forums that you can ask questions of experienced walkers and stuff like that.

I was thinking about doing something like this, but the hold up is trying to raise that type of money. I can't imagine raising $1800 or more depending on which program you join.

Good luck,
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote