Old 12-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #1  

Unhappy Sugar

OMG!!!
So I'm surfing the internet and decide to do a search on sugar in an effort to get some info on my arch nemesis and the very first hit I click on brings up this article. Very interesting. The site address is www.hps-online.com/foodprof1.htm.

Sugar

"Sugar is without question one of the most dangerous substances on the food market today.

What we are talking about here is sucrose, the white crystalline sugar refined from cane or beet juice by stripping away all its vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, water, and other synergists.

White sugar is an industrially processed chemical not found in nature, and it is not fit for human consumption.

Other sugars such as fructose (in fruit and honey), lactose (in milk), and maltose (in grains) are natural substances with nutritional value.

Raw sugar is a coarse, brown, sticky variety made by simply boiling down whole cane juice and it too is a wholesome food, but it is very difficult to find in the Western world.

The so called 'brown sugar' sold in supermarkets is nothing more than refined white sugar with some molasses spun back into it for color and flavor. It is not a 'health food'.

Sugar suppresses the immune system by causing the pancreas to secrete abnormally large quantities of insulin, which is required to break it down.

Insulin remains in circulation in the bloodstream long after sugar has been metabolized, and one of its main side effects is to suppress the release of growth hormone in the pituitary gland.

Growth hormone is a primary regulator of the immune system, so anyone who eats a lot of sugar every day is going to experience critical growth hormone deficiency and consequent immune deficiency caused by the constant presence of insulin in the bloodstream.

Furthermore, refined white sugar is treated as a toxic foreign agent by the immune system, owing to its unnatural chemical structure as well as the industrial contaminants it retains from the refining process.

Sugar thus triggers an unnecessary immune response while simultaneously suppressing immune function, thereby debilitating the immune system with a double edged sword.

Sugar is the chief culprit in many diseases and degenerative conditions.

It can easily cause diabetes and is a major factor in candidacies, both of which are epidemic in the industrialized Western world.

Since sugar is 'nutritionally naked', the body must 'borrow' the missing vitamins, minerals and other synergistic nutrients required to metabolize sugar from its own tissues.

Heavy sugar consumption therefore causes a constant siphoning of nutrients from the body. Recent evidence suggests that sugar causes dental problems not so much by contact with the teeth but rather by leaching the teeth of calcium from within.

Sugar also depletes the body of potassium and magnesium, which are required for proper cardiac function, and is therefore a major factor in heart disease.

The nutritional leaching caused by sugar can give rise to intense food cravings and eating binges, as the body seeks to replenish the nutrients 'stolen' from it by sugar.

Most people consume far more sugar than their bodies can possibly use for energy. When this happens, the liver converts the extra sugar into molecules called triglycerides and stores it as fat, or else produces cholesterol from the by-products of sugar and deposits it in veins and arteries. Sugar is thus a major factor in obesity and arteriosclerosis as well.

Sugar is an addictive substance. In Sugar Blues, William Dufty writes; 'The difference between sugar addiction and narcotic addiction is largely one of degree.'

Abruptly giving up sugar invariably brings on the sort of withdrawal symptoms associated with narcotic drugs- fatigue, lassitude, depression, moodiness, headaches, aching limbs.

Its addictive nature is also reflected in current per capita consumption in the USA- an average of 130 pounds of sugar per person per year, or about 1/3 pound daily. That qualifies as 'substance abuse'. Most people don't even realize how much sugar they're taking every day because much of it is hidden in other foods.

A 12-ounce can of a typical soft drink, for example, contains about nine teaspoons of refined white sugar.

Sugar consumption in the USA is so high that it has also caused a social problem through its deleterious effects on behaviour, especially in children, who are displaying increasingly severe behavioral disorders and learning disabilities.

In a recent study conducted by Dr. C. Keith Connors of the Children's Hospital in Washington, DC, a 'deadly' link was established between the consumption of sugar with carbohydrates (such as breakfast cereal, cake, and biscuits) and violent behaviour, hypertension, and learning impediments.

In other studies, chronic violence in prisons was remarkably reduced simply by eliminating refined sugar and starch from prison diets. Singapore in 1991 banned sugary soft drink sales from all schools and youth center's, citing the danger that sugar poses to the mental and physical health of children.

If you or your children have a sweet tooth, you can easily satisfy it by concocting treats with honey, molasses, and barley malt, which are not only sweet but also nutritious and therapeutically beneficial."

Source: Daniel Reid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always knew sugar was bad but I didn't know how bad. My committment is furthur strengthened.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #2  
PamPSM644

I knew some of this but found interesting that sugar supresses the immune system.My meth addited sister uses huge amounts of sugar. She loves Kool-ade,yuk.This is made worse because her immune system is already impared because of having had radiatoion and kemo,but she won't listen to anything I say. She easily goes though between 5 to 10lbs monthly. I read that sugar is addictive it would seem predictable then that addicts would include it.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

WOW! That is an awesome article. I always feel so much better when I am off sugar. But I had no idea the medical info behind it. Thanks!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #4  
JML
Success Story!!!

Incredible. Thank you for posting this.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #5  

It is true that sugar is empty calories, and that too many foods that contain it are devoid of other nutrients & fiber, therefore making the whole package less-than-ideal. There is some evidence that high-fructose corn syrup has a bigger impact on blood sugar than even cane sugar. Finally, there is a school of thought that sugar is addictive, HOWEVER ... any substance ending in -ose has this effect, NOT just processed white sugar. That means lactose (dairy products), fructose (fruits & vegetables), and many many others. In the end, sugar is sugar is sugar, whether it is white cane sugar, brown cane sugar, raw sugar, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc. etc. etc. The differences in how your body deals with it come in the "package" the sugar is contained in and how much is consumed. If you eat a piece of fruit, you are getting fiber and water and a whole lot more that make it (a) more nutritious overall and (b) slow to digest, which minimizes the impact.

Sugar in and of itself isn't evil -- it's how it's used.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I knew sugar was bad... which is why I'm in a constant state of quitting it. I had an idea about the withdrawl too, I get so so so sick when I stop having sugar, and I often get the reaction from people that I shouldn't stop having it if it makes me ill... which I can't agree with... if my body is so dependant on something for energy, it makes more sense to NOT have it. Thanks for the post.. I actually do believe sugar is evil, I mean, they strip every nutritional value, how is that NOT bad?? (And by sugar I mean the processed stuff, natually occuring sugar has nutritional value, like fruit)

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #7  

i know its so bad but sooooooo good. I miss it but not the pounds.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #8  
Aunt to many Mom to none.

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy Wow!

I knew it was bad, but this just blows me away. I have eaten so much crap the past few days, I feel the need to puke right now.
mrs_streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 08:07 PM   #9  
Lady Farrier!

Here's another good sugar bashing site......
http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar..._of_sugar.htm#
EquiTammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:24 AM   #10  

Wow
Old 12-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #11  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Thanks for sharing! Thats just what I needed to get back into the swing after the holidays. Im 3 pounds away from onederland and without the sugar, I'll be there my New Years!!!

IM SO EXCITED!!!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 AM   #12  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

While the system was being overhauled this weekend I read back in this forum and found this thread. It's been 1 month today since I started 'getting healthy' and making better food choices. In January I was still stuck in the holiday sugar rut, and only for the last week have been able to be totally refined sugar free. I wasn't pigging out of sugar since I was being accountable for everything - but I hadn't been able to cut it out... it was like 1 candy cane a day...1/4 cup of ice cream...a 'bite' of DH's cookie... Anyways, I could totally relate to the article when it said,
Quote:
'The difference between sugar addiction and narcotic addiction is largely one of degree.'

Abruptly giving up sugar invariably brings on the sort of withdrawal symptoms associated with narcotic drugs- fatigue, lassitude, depression, moodiness, headaches, aching limbs.
It is a powerful addiction for me. Even with the small amount I was eating almost every day, after cutting it out, I have had headaches every morning when I wake up. (I used to always add 1 T of chocolate syrup to my morning coffee.) Anyways, interesting read. Thanks for sharing it.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #13  
Going to ONEderland

I have experienced being free of sugar and most simple carbohydrates for long periods and then going back and eating a large amount of sugar/and or simple carbs, and making myself physically sick in the process.

It tastes good, but when the body isn't used to it and then suddenly you reintroduce it in the kinds of amounts that most people eat all the time...Wow. It really is hard on the body. I can believe it is a "toxic" substance when I see what it does to me after being completely free of it for a time and then suddenly eating it again.

I will get a headache, feel sick to my stomach, (want to and sometimes will vomit), my heart will start racing... It really is an extreme reaction.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #14  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Anyone know where you can locate the american diabetes diet?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Yes, processed sugar is bad, but we all already knew that (right?). And yes, those who eat cake and cookies and drink soda and sugary juices all day, every day, will probably reap these bad benefits, but look at who's posting these articles. Both sites mentioned are trying to promote "natural" products in order to sell their own products (the hps-online site sells a "cleansing" plan, and they promote "colon cleansing" and "food combinations," which have been proven to be phooey for most people), so of course they're going to bash processed sugar. As funniegirl already mentioned, you can get most of the same effects from naturally-occuring sugars as well. Try adding honey to everything you used to use sugar in--I bet you still end up feeling the same as when you used sugar

I am willing to bet money that a good 95% of sugar-bashing articles are posted inwebsites who stand to gain $$ by bad-mouthing sugar The other 5% are probably just people like us--people who read the info elsewhere and reposted it or based opinions on it.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote