Old 02-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #1  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Arrow Keep It Up Challenge

So now it’s February, and we’re all coming down off of our “It’s a new year, so let’s start fresh!” motivation high and settling back into the routine of daily life. Now is the time when we start slacking, right?

WRONG!

This year, we are NOT going to start slacking now that our New Years motivation is all dried up, NO! We are going to kick it into high gear and bust some major tushie!

Our focus this month is going to be consistence. We cannot let ourselves get lazy and slide back into old, unhealthy habits.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again—the truth is that we all KNOW what we need to do, how to do it, and why we need to do it. So why haven’t we, as the intelligent, capable women we are, conquered our weight problems already? Simple: we are not following through, and we are not being consistent.

So the challenge this month is to set a goal of consistency. You don’t have to be perfect and do every single thing every single day. (I think we all know too much about the nature of life to believe that every day will go perfectly.) The idea is to do your best and stay on plan MOST of the time. Your goal can be to work out 5 days per week, or limit your eating out to only once a week, or staying within your calorie range for 6 days per week, or whatever. You can even add goals that don’t really relate to dieting, but are instead general lifestyle consistency goals, like getting to sleep earlier on weeknights. Whatever.

With consistency being the main focus, the big goal is to stick to your target for the entire 4 weeks of February. 28 days. Just think, 28 days is long enough for a habit to form, so when we all come through this challenge with flying colors we’ll have new healthy habits to keep our weight loss rolling!

And here’s the good part: rewards. Set up some rewards for yourself, perhaps a small weekly reward for meeting your weekly goals and then a big monthly reward for staying consistent all month. These rewards need to be something you ONLY get once you’ve met your goals. Write them down (or find some pictures) and post them where you can see them every day to remind you of what you’re working towards.

One caveat: don’t overextend yourselves. Don’t try to fix everything you want to fix about your life within the next 28 days. Set maybe 1 or 2 goals to work towards, and really strive for consistency in those areas. If you try to do too much at once, you may end up accomplishing nothing at all, and that’s not what we want!

So pick a reasonable goal, write down your rewards, and get to it!
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #2  
Bound and Determined

Well, it’s February. I didn’t make the 4-pound loss in January, but I did hold at 213.8, for a grand total of 3.6 pounds lost, and I’ll take it! This morning’s measurements showed me down 0.5 inches in my hips and another 0.5 in my calves, and not a whit elsewhere. But, an inch is an inch, and the more inches I lose, the better!

My other good news of the day: the bank wants to close either tomorrow or Friday. YAY! So this weekend I’ll be cleaning and painting, moving a little throughout the week, and major moving next weekend!

Bad news: I was so excited last night that I barely got any sleep!

Anyway, I should have expected my weight not to be down any more this morning because I had Burger King for dinner. Calories still came in at 1447, as I figured out my meal and calories before I went, so all is well. Water was only 72 oz, but that’s better than none, which is what my exercise was. But that was planned, so I guess I can’t really complain about it.

And I did get some things done last night, but still not as much as I wanted. I had to run some errands after work, and that took longer than I would have liked, but oh well. I managed to clean the black hole that is my desk, and I changed my sheets, and I even packed up some random stuff, mostly just to get it out of my way. Tonight I will “finish” my tasks by putting away my laundry and vacuuming, and probably doing a bit more packing, or at least preparation for packing.

Also tonight I’m going to do my WATP dvd, and perhaps a few sets on the weight machine. Bah, that thing is going to be a hassle to move! Oh well. You gotta do what you gotta do, right?

OH, I didn’t explain this reward option in my opening post, because I just thought of it. But here it is anyway: weekly rewards should only be for meeting ALL of your goals (if you have more than one), but you can set different end-of-the-month rewards for each of your goals. You don’t have to, but it’s an option.

My goals for this challenge.
1. Drink 100 oz of water EVERY day, including weekends.
2. Exercise 5 days per week, for a total of 20 days this month.
3. Eat within calorie budget of 1500 calories 6 days per week.

My rewards:
1. Weekly facial, pedicure, manicure, and bubble bath for meeting all three goals.
2. At the end of the month, an aerobic step for achieving my workout goal.
3. At the end of the month, 1 day without worrying about calories, and even eating dinner or lunch out, for meeting my caloric goal. I know you’re not supposed to reward with food, but one day isn’t going to kill me, and I think that if I know it’s coming, it will be easier to resist temptation until then. Besides, 4 weeks from now I’ll be PMSing again, and craving chocolate and fried cheese like a madwoman.

I’d like to set an end-of-month reward related to my water-drinking goal, but I can’t think of one. Any ideas?

OK, chickies, that’s it from me today. I’m going to go browse the internet for home improvement ideas. Have a good one.
~Elisha
Old 02-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #3  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Yay, a consistency challenge.

1. Green days four days per week.
2. One day of non-jujitsu exerside per week.

Reward: A new shirt.

MsRD -- Woah! Did you find your car in a cave in France? 'Cuz your car seems to have come from the paleolithic era. And good job on no binge after seeing Mom.

Elisha -- OMG, woo-HOO on the house! And thanks for setting up the new challenge. Hmm, reward for your water goal... maybe something wedding related that's a little more expensive than what you had planned? Like a nice cake topper or some extra flowers.

Yesterday was green. At the end of the day, I was tempted to get a Starbucks insanely-sugary coffee drink. It would have put me in yellow range, not red, so I almost convinced myself that it was OK. Then I remembered that I didn't want to post here that I did something stupid! So I refrained.

Today was another big-ish lunch. I will be fine for the rest of the day, since everything is planned. But I have to stop the big-lunch habit, because one day I might not be able to control what is for dinner. Tomorrow I will plan a small lunch.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #4  
"workin' on my fitness"

Ok, so day one on the new challenge, and I sure did need the kick start. Our new girl started today, and if there is anything I need now, it's something to focus on that I can control, because it sure isn't going to be the Roid at work, or the new girl, who will probably be named within the next week or so. We'll just have to see what she does that I complain about. Yes, it isn't fair to pre-judge her, and sure, that makes me a beeeyotch, and a horrible person, but you know what? I'm human, and we all do it. I just won't pretend that I'm that evolved...lol. My issue (for now!) is that this is just another person hired because of a personal relationship- either a direct relative, or 1 step removed, coming in at a high level of pay, and no experience to back it up. And having her nose shoved in the crack of our LC's butt doesn't hurt as far as who gets the crap to deal with, and who gets to sit back and be lauded just for being her best friend's neice. Grr.

My goals for this month, which I am going to consistantly follow through on, and consistantly be looking for prodding to complete:

1. 96oz of water, minimum, before I can leave work. Period. Chugging at 4:59 is ok, but not recommended, especially once we're in the new house full time, and it'll be an hour drive to a bathroom. Start early, refill early, drink with lunch, and then in the afternoon, bonus time!

2. Exercise- this one is rough, and yes, here comes the excuse. VCR is at the new house. Exercise bike is at the old house, but covered with laundry that can't be put away due to packing/moving process. Goal is to consistantly wear my pedometer, because until we're in the new house full time, I know the only sure thing is going to be walking. So, walk at lunch, or get to work 10 minutes early and take a walk. It'll be good for my head, and stress.

3. Food- also difficult, due to a) moving, and b) post hurricane ice chest in hallway instead of freezer, and small 4 cubic foot fridge on kitchen floor instead of big fridge which died a tragic death during 2 plus weeks of no electric, and major icky issues. Zone bars are already at the office for breakfast. Stop at Publix, and bring in cottage doubles, and leave in the office fridge. With 20 people in the whole office, it isn't like that's taking up precious space that someone else is using. Plan ahead, again.

4. Weekends- this is where I can have the most control, and maintain my consistancy. Have the new appliances, plenty of newly unpacked, nearly brand spanking new cookware, silverware, etc. Take the time to make good, healthy meals while there on the weekends. Use this time to recharge, and re-energize. Work hard to make up for lack of structured exercise during the week. Sweat. Soak in the tub to relax sore muscles, and get sleepy. Get up early and enjoy the peace and quiet in the country. Drink a bottle of water on the front porch, and watch the neighborhood come to life, as people get up and start mowing lawns, taking out trash, getting newspapers.

Reward: weight loss of more than 1.6 pounds for the month, first off. Second, less feeling like a slug, less joint pain, less butt pain. Third, and actual reward- spend 25.00 in the Asian market we found, buying new spices, and sauces, and soba noodles, to try my hand at several excellent, low fat, good carb, lean protein recipes I have come across and been dying to try.

Chickies, I'll comment more in the morning, once I've spent my "mandatory hour" with the new girl showing her what my job entails, and why I don't have 6 extra hours a day to screw around like the Roid does.

(Super bonus consistancy goal- to limit the complaining, and to somehow find, and specifically state, the silver lining to whatever the black cloud of the day is.) Happy February, chickies.
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #5  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm in...

of course!

OK...last month's weight loss first! I am down to 178, which means I lost 2 lbs the whole month! Not what I had hoped, but I won't beat myself up about it, either! I'm just happy not to see 180 anymore!

My goals for this month are pretty much the same as they have been (wish I could be more original!)
1. Aerobics 3-4 days a week
2. Toning 2-3 days a week
3. Planning meals weekly and preparing a grocery list weekly for things that are healthy!
4. Lose 5 # by the end of February...Yes I can...Yes I can...Yes I can..(This will take me to 173 which is a weight I have not been since summer!)

Now...to let you all know my plan...I went shopping tonight (how is that a plan, you ask?) Well...I bought a pair of Winter White dress pants which were just waaay too cute and waaaay too cheap to turn down...they were 75% off Clearance prices...so I got them for like $5.00!!! OK...here's the plan...they are just too tight to wear right now, but 10# down, they will fit just fine (I still may have to hem them, but that's not a biggie)!!! And did I mention how CUTE they are??? What I should do is take a picture of my FAT butt in them now, and then when I lose the 10#, take another picture! I think I will...and that should motivate me, don't you think?

Elisha...thanks for setting up the new challenge! And YIPEE on the house finally closing! That has sure dragged on long enough, wouldn't you say??? And GREAT JOB on the 3.6 lbs! That is awesome, chickie!

Jennifer...I like your "realistic" goals! Very good! With all that is/has gone on in your life, you are smart to not go overboard with all that you WANT to do! BUT...I will hold you accountable to checking in here several times weekly...dont' think I won't!!!! BTW, I like your 4th goal the BEST! YES!

TBJ...Aloha chickie! Your logic just kills me! I wish I had that kind of thinking...seriously! I would be much closer to my goal weight if I could think like you! Have you weighed yet? I didn't hear the final "last challenge" count... Glad you are enjoying the islands! Any beach time lately? Please go check out Diamond Head Beach for me...it's where all the wind surfers hang out...right near Diamond Head (DUH!) It was my favorite beach...especially this time of year! So....beautiful! Ahhhhh! I can hear the waves and feel the salt in my face! OK...I need to go to bed and dream about it!

Hugs to all! Have a great Friday!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hi everyone

Just a quick note to let you know ... I'm up for the February consistency challenge.

I'm afraid my scale weighed me in at the same 249 I was at the start of January this morning. Hopefully, that was just holding water or being constipated or something... I haven't been that out of it....

It's been a busy week so far... class both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. It will be nice .. .to be home ... and back to normal tomorrow.

My goals for February are:

Continue my consistency goal of no eating after 8pm I gotta beat this habit... I'm getting bored (and boring). I'll ease up on the rigidity (?) and limit it to Sunday through Friday and leave some room for the weekends.

Exercise 30 minutes per day, everyday or 210 minutes for the week. Bonus points for over 1000 minutes for the month.

Monitor and record calories on fitday and limit intake to 1800 per day.

Up the water intake to 72 oz per day.

... It's almost 11pm so I'm off to bed.

Goodnight
Joy
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #7  
Bound and Determined

Morning chicks!

Well, we made it through the first day of the month. How did everyone do yesterday?

Me? Not so great. I got a salad at Bob Evans at lunch, but it turned out to have about a bazillion calories, and then I just had to eat the rolls that came with it, and then I had one of those “Oh, I’ve already ruined my day, I might as well keep going” moments at dinner. And not nearly enough water. And still no exercise. And I’m still so tired I think I could curl up under my desk and go to sleep right now. And to top it all off, ToM showed up yesterday, and that’s not helping at all.

It doesn’t look like I’m going to do much better over the weekend, either, with all the stuff we’re planning to do to the house. It’ll most likely be fast food and little sleep. Great. I’m going to try to sleep in a little Saturday morning though, and go to bed earlier tonight. We’ll see.

I have a feeling this month is going to be really hard for me, dietarily speaking, or at least the first couple of weeks. I know I’m going to be busy, and I’m already tired, and I’m not going to feel like working out. I just hope I can maintain this month. Ha… as of this morning, “maintaining” will actually require losing, as the scale was up to 214.4 yet again. But, I know that’s because of ToM, not enough water, and the aforementioned bazillion calorie salad. Today’s food will be better, if a little high calorie (I’ve planned additional snacks, as I’ve just been famished these past few days—I blame that completely on ToM), and I didn’t even bring a soda for lunch, so I’ll get in more water. Still not too sure about the exercise, but we’ll see. I might just go home and go straight to bed.

So we’re closing tomorrow morning sometime. Don’t have an exact time yet, but Steve is supposed to call me when he finds out. I’m going to be busy at work over the next few days, as the other person who does my job is having minor surgery tomorrow and will be out until Wednesday or Thursday. I hope nothing incredibly important comes through, as I have a bunch of my own stuff that suddenly needs to be done *now* as opposed to *whenever.* So anyway, tomorrow after we close Steve is going to work on getting the utilities transferred and the heat turned on and so forth, then I’ll go over tomorrow evening and start cleaning. Saturday my whole family is going to come help clean, paint, and fix up. Sunday… I don’t know the exact plan for Sunday, because we already had other things to do, so let’s just say it will be busy. Then next Friday I am taking off work to move in the big stuff. Saturday we’re going to Pittsburgh to pick out tuxes and bridesmaids’ dresses. Then next Sunday I guess we’ll finish moving.

Ugh… just thinking about this upcoming week makes me want to sleep. *sigh*

Anyway, I’d better get to work. Hopefully I can get a bunch of my stuff done today. Bah. Stupid work.

Have a good day, chicks.
~Elisha
Old 02-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #8  
Ima bundle *' emotion

Hello My Motivating Queens:
Sorry I was MIA for January but that challenge kinda confused me. Well for January my weight's been up and down and at the end of the month well I didn't gain at all so that's okay. And the jeans I bought at the end of December are getting wayy loose so I'm happy about that.

My February goals:
*4 days exercise, 1 day rest, 1 day going out
*drinking water...I'll start @ 22 ounces (I have a cup that big) and work up from t here
*Stay within 1900-2000 calories with BETTER choices (i'm more concerned with my choices than the calorie range @ this point)

February reward:
Buying/Finding a dress that goes with the new shoes I bought about 2 wks ago

~~Rosie~~
Extrinsic Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #9  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Default Quickly....

Want to say hello, and say I'm definitely IN for this challenge . I weighed 2 days ago, and I was (surprised to be...) down 2 more pounds. That puts me at 4 pounds down the last challenge. I have been exercising really well the last week..liking my treadmill(another pleasant surprise!!!)

My goals for this challenge : Eat right and exercise. Period.

I have sick, sick kiddos here. Thought the youngest may have pneumonia, but a chest x-ray at the hospital ruled that out. He's just plain SICK. The actual diagnosis is viral bronchitis. As I was taking him to the Dr. this morning (once again!), the school called for me to come pick up my 6 yr. old (who was in the clinic with a fever/aches). I've not had too much sleep. Yet, this morning I made myself do 30 min. on the treadmill. I want to go to yoga tonight...we'll see...

It's good to see all the chickies here on the challenge! Yay! Maybe those of us that post over on the journals could do a little advertisement blurb over there about this new challenge?? Just a thought.

I hope to comment later..maybe tomorrow when I can think better! Hope you all have a great day!!!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #10  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Default Day Late, Dollar Short

Consistency is exactly what I need right now. I'm in the midst of beating my head against several brick walls at work, and I really need to save some of my focus for bettering myself.

I'll set two goals for this month:

1. At least 4 days each week with a star on the calander (4 bottles of water, 15 minutes of exercise, and eating at scheduled times, not exceeding 1800 calories)

2. Brush teeth after each major meal, or at the very least before bed

I know it sounds gross, but I've been so stressed out that there are days when I'll completely forget to brush lately!

As for a reward... Hmm... Maybe I'll pick something off my Amazon wish list. Or maybe two smaller things, one for each goal.

Anyway, yesterday could be considered a "negative star" day. It was a rock bottom stress day and I ended up binging again, which I thought I had under control. Guess not.

Today is looking better so far. All meals on schedule so far, I've brushed both after breakfast and lunch, and I got my library laps in. We'll see what this evening brings...

Oops, time to get back to work.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #11  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Hellooo everyone.

Yesterday was green. Not much longer until I weigh myself... 20 more hours, 20 more hours... No excuses for messing up today. Lunch was light (I kept that goal), dinner is planned, and I have room for snacks. I even biked this morning. The Conan the Barbarian soundtrack is good bikin' music... it sounds like you're setting out on a great adventure.

Jennifer -- Yeah, so often we feel guilty for having normal human emotions. Be a B for a while and enjoy it. :evil:

Julie -- It's so good to hear that you're below 180 again. Yes, do take a pic of you in the pants! You can try them on at the end of every week for motivation. I'll weigh tomorrow morning... hopefully with success. Hmm, no beach time last week... right now is crunch time for the bar.

Joy -- Glad to see you here.

Elisha -- Woah, are you busy. You are such a determined lady... you can keep up the good work.

Rosie -- Welcome back.

Lisa -- Sending cool-on-the-forehead thoughts to your kiddies. Good job on the loss over the past month.

Betani -- You're off to a good start; now keep it up.

Tomorrow I can post my January challenge weight loss total, and then make a goal for this month.

255 days until Elisha's wedding. I only need to lose half a pound to stay on pace.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #12  

Hi!

Checking in to the new challenge..... would have signed in yesterday, but I got on the scale and spent the rest of the day giving myself a stern lecture. I have been giving weight loss high priority for two years now.....have lost 73 pounds, and gained 74 pounds.....guess I can't call it a 'journey' if I'm not going anywhere!

So......thank you, Elisha, a consistency challenge is exactly what I need! I am going to start out with goals of:
1. exercise 6 days a week - 30 minutes a day
2. count calories - keeping it under 1500
Rewards? Hmmm.....will have to give that some thought.

Elisha.....congratulations on the NEARLY 4 pounds lost! Incredible job! I am so glad to hear you are finalizing buying your house! You are going to have a busy couple of weeks!

TBJ.....Good job on refraining from a Starbucks indulgence. Remember, we are always looking over your shoulder....

Jennifer.....I know it must be difficult to exercise and eat right while in the moving process. (All the more reason to get it done!) I will be looking forward to some new recipes made with the Asian market ingredients.

Julie.....And you lost 2 pounds last month too! This group of chickies is awesome! You are going to be my inspiration this month!

Joy.....Sometimes the scale does not more for no good reason whatsoever! You have some great goals there.....I know you can do it!

Rosie....Welcome back! You have been missed! And loose jeans are something to cheer about any day!

Lisa.....Good job on the January weight loss! Sorry the kidlets are not feeling well......get the exercise in and stay strong for them too!

Betani.....You are going to be seeing stars this month! You have to stay healthy to manage all the work stress!

Getting late, so I better get up from the puter and get some walking in with Leslie!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Hey everybody

The day in review.... I only walked for 15 minutes this morning. I managed to monitor my calories and keep them at 1763 today. My water is at 64 oz so far... and I plan to have herbal tea as soon as it steeps... It's 7:33 pm and I don't plan on having anything more to eat today....

So... check today off as done.

Talk to you chickies tomorrow ... I'm pooped.

:grouphug;
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #14  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Tgif

I don't know why...but this week it's been extra hard to get up in the mornings. The lack of sunshine, even though we have had above temps all month (34 days in a row, actually) I think is starting to get to me!!! That combined with the stress from work (which is actually MUCH better than December!) has just been getting me a down a bit! I don't usually complain, but I do feel a bit "depressed" these days! I need a good dose of Miami Sun!!!!

OK...yesterday, was not exactly the greatest food day ever, but I did alright! I got in more than I usually do with water, so that is good (was extra thirsty for some reason...maybe TOM...) The only exercise I got was walking back and forth to our ALC from the NH about 10 times...it's about 500ft one way, and I do it briskly when I do it, so...it was exercise!

Today, my goal is to NOT EAT any sweets! I know this is my biggest downfall and always will be if I don't get it under control. Yesterday I had an iced oatomeal cookie and a small (less than 1/2 cup) choc. chip icecream...and one of the mini Hershey's (dark choc.)

I just drank my Latte, which should hold me over til tomorrow, but if I am feeling like something sweet, I will take some grapes to snack on! yes...that's what I'll do...I'll take grapes...and an apple...and some string cheese or yogurt...yes...that's what I'll do...

OK...now if you all could send some positive vibes, I'll be ok! Thanks for checking in here. It helps me to stay motivated to know that we all struggle together and that we can do this together!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #15  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Can it be?? A moment of quiet in this house? Ahhhhhhhh....sigh....a few precious minutes on the computer. DS #2 and #3 are home today. DS #3 is still in bed, and DS #2 is playing with blocks in the family room. Both are still a bit puny, but better I think. I have a full day. I have let the laundry go this week, and can you picture laundry literally up to the ceiling?? Add in DH's extra workout clothes (one set for each day), and you have a day of laundry just for dear old ME!! LOL!

Yesterday, I walked 30 min. on the treadmill, and then after such a hectic day, I did something I rarely ever do..I called my MIL. I told her that I was about to cry, that I needed a few minutes to myself, and could she come over and keep the kids while DH and I went to the health club to walk on the treadmills. She was so kind, and said she would be over here in a jiffy. So..we went! Well, I was picturing us striding side by side, and catching up on life, but no....that sneaky DH had a plan!! He insisted that I get on the ellipticals, even though I clearly voiced my reluctance to do so! He climbs on, and starts stepping away (along with everyone else on them). I, on the other hand, looked like a 90 yr. old Granny! I was in slow motion. Yuck! I only made it 15 min, and I was sweating like crazy. Then, I told him I wanted to get on the treadmills as planned, but OH NO..he said I needed to learn about the machines, etc. And he helped me do a workout for my arms! Actually, he was really sweet to me, and I DID enjoy getting out. I am a bit sore this morning, but we found this Baththerapy stuff to soak in after workouts that works better than anything I have EVER tried. It's a miracle.

Want to hear something funny ? When MIL was leaving last night, she told the kids that if they wanted it to snow, then they needed to each turn their p.j.'s inside out and flush 2 ice cubes down the toilet. They are so desperate for snow..of course they did it! LOL!

Sorry to ramble on..I am so stircrazy! Somebody talk to me-please! !

Hope you all have a blessed day! I'll comment later....kiddos are all up now, and restless.
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote