View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #45
ellenuw

A little "duh" moment yesterday - wanted to use shallots in a recipe but didn't have the patience to dice - cut in small pieces and push through a garlic press. Like I said, "duh", especially as most of my recipes call for garlic when they call for shallots, and I got it out anyway.

Also, try using frozen chopped onions in place of chopping your own - if they are going to be cooked anyway, why not?

Vietnamese Chili-garlic sauce is great. Mix with equal part dijon mustard and spoon over firm fish fillets (tilapia, cod, snapper) or chicken breast before baking. Fast and tasty.

Serve above with simple steamed green veggie and FROZEN brown rice - 3 min in the microwave - fabulous find. I can get it at both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Regular grocery stores will have it soon, I bet.

*edit* for more ideas:

2C steel cut oats + 8 cups water+ bunch of cinnamon in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours - enough oatmeal ready to go for 10 days or so in the fridge. Just spoon into a mug with another spoonful of frozen blueberries and a couple drops of water or milk and nuke for 2 min in the rushed mornings. Add a few hardboiled egg yolks or other protein for a complete breakfast licktey split. If you want to do a quick egg white omelet in the morning by the egg whites in the carton - fabulous and not expensive.

I buy a big bag of lemons at Costco and juice them all at once and keep the juice in a psorts bottle in my frige - great for adding that quick flavor effortlessly.

I refuse to give up control for convenience

S/C/G
230/180/TBD (size 10?)

Last edited by ellenuw : 01-29-2006 at 08:41 AM.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote