Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #1  
Losing the Weight!

Default Bread Question

Hi All. I have a question about breads. Hubby, in trying to help me with this, purchased some whole wheat bread which is low fat. Total calories are 110. How would I count this, or should I stay away from it all together?

Thanks for the input.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

My center said to keep bread between 35-45 calories per slice. I know Wonder bread makes this in white and wheat. Hope this helps.
Bogieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #3  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Double check the dietary info on the bread sometimes they post the calories for 2 slices instead of one. If its for 2 slices i would count it 1 starch each if that is for 1 slice i would do as mary suggested and count it as 2 starches.
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #4  

if it is just a regular slice of bread, I would say to run from it if it is over 100 calories for a measly slice. I am pretty sure that britt is right and it is for 2 slices. but that is still pretty high because you can easily find bread for 30 calories. I buy the healthy living bread, but it is made by soemone else, I think wonder.
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #5  
Started again Aug 21, 09

S/C/G: 237/204/165

Height: 5'9"

My DH and I use the Pepperidge Farms Light Style whole grain breads. We started using them when we did SouthBeach a few years ago. They are about 35-45 calories a slice and quite tasty!

We were both brought up on white bread, but these were pretty easy to transition to. DH's favorite is the Oatmeal, but I prefer the Whole Wheat. They are sometimes hard to find at the grocery store though because they just don't stock enough of them. Also, they are double bagged to help maintain their freshness.
tinabinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #6  

I use the Nature's Own light, Honey wheat and it is like 35-40 calories and it is good!

Sheila
slecompte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #7  
Losing the Weight!

I Normally use Orowheat Lite Wheat or Lite 9 Grain. However, last night when I when to reach for it I found the bread was moldy. And it wasn't that old. The bread in question is defiantely low fat, but the cals were 110. I'm not sure if that was per slice, but I would suspect it was. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #8  

I would count it as two starches
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #9  
Losing the Weight!

Well, I opted NOT to use the 110 cal per slice bread and went down and got the Orowheat Lite. MUCH better choice.

I found something else that really made my heart jump. SaraLee makes "Mini" Bagels. As it turns out they are 2 ounces for a whole Mini Bagel... which means I can have a Bagel for one starch!!!!

Last night, I got creative and took one of those bagels, some ground sirloin (6 ounces), a little onion (about a teaspoon), and a tablespoon of Ketcup and made "Sloppy Joes" or a pretty acceptable facsimilie... It was GREAT and only 1S, 1P and 1C.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #10  

I bake my own bread- whole wheat, wheat bran and flax seed, I guess i'll have to sit down one day and figure out the calorie count for all that.......
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #11  

Default nature's own light bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slecompte
I use the Nature's Own light, Honey wheat and it is like 35-40 calories and it is good!

Sheila
I also use the nature's own light bread and love it. I even got my mom to start buying it and even my kids will eat it and they are 2 and 3. Kris
onefatmomma is offline   Reply With Quote