Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #1  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Default Almost NO Calorie Noodles!

I'm soooo happy

I just found these great Shirataki noodles at my favorite Asian super-store, Uwajimaya http://www.uwajimaya.com/. You may want to check out their website as they have some great recipes. I believe some Whole Foods stores are also carrying them. Shirataki are made from tofu and Konnyaku root (a kind of yam). Like tofu, they don't have much flavor of their own, but take on the flavor of whatever dish they are used in.

We had some yesterday with Thai veggies (from Trader Joe's) and shrimp. They were great (and no guilt at 20 calories per serving!)

Here is the nutritional info:

Serving Size: 4 oz.
Calories: 20
Fat: .5g
Carbs: 3g
Protein: 1g
Sodium: 15mg
Fiber: 2g
(2 servings per package)

I can't wait to try them in place of angel hair pasta.

Last edited by penpal; 01-27-2006 at 01:13 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #2  

Ooooo, I’m intrigued. So what's the texture like? Would you say they're comparable to "real" noodles?

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #3  

These noodles are HUGE and have been featured on eXtra... there's a website called hungry-girl.com that talks about them all the time, she claims they'll change your life! they're kind of hard to find, but you can order them online or through calling the company. i want to try them asap... can't wait to fix extra low cal spaghetti and the like!
Sporadic_Moods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #4  

I've been buying these the past few months and they are wonderful. A little chewier than a regular noodle, but not unpleasant at all. I don't know that I'd like these in Italian dishes, but in Asian dishes they fit very well.

I got my first pack at Whole Foods and then.. surprise surpsise I found them at Safeway. Here they are currently on sale, until 1/31 1.00 a pack. They regularly are I think 1.79 a pack.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #5  
LLV

Yum! Thanks for sharing!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #6  
LLV

OH my gosh, look! Fettuccine shaped, too!

Old 01-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
OH my gosh, look! Fettuccine shaped, too!
Can't wait to try those - they'd be a nice change from the thin ones. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #8  
Brit Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT
I've been buying these the past few months and they are wonderful. A little chewier than a regular noodle, but not unpleasant at all. I don't know that I'd like these in Italian dishes, but in Asian dishes they fit very well.

I got my first pack at Whole Foods and then.. surprise surpsise I found them at Safeway. Here they are currently on sale, until 1/31 1.00 a pack. They regularly are I think 1.79 a pack.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to check my Safeway - it's a lot closer than Uwajimaya and Whole Foods. I'm going to try them with some of my homemade pasta sauce. I rarely eat pasta anymore because of the high cals and carbs, so this stuff is a godsend!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #9  
Brit Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiaby
Ooooo, I’m intrigued. So what's the texture like? Would you say they're comparable to "real" noodles? Beverly
The texture is softer than regular noodles - more like the thin rice noodles you get in Chinese or Japanese soups and salads. The ones I had were about the size of angel hair pasta.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #10  
LLV

I absolutely adore rice noodles

I have a box of Thai rice noodles, in fact. But I don't eat them much because they're 200 calories per 2 ounce serving. These noodles here will be a great change. Only problem now is finding where to buy them. I'm an Amazon.com'er and found them there, but for one package of the noodles, which are only $1.99, it costs $10 for shipping. That's just stupid.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #11  
Brit Chick

That's the problem with ordering on line - they sometimes rip you off for shipping. I did a Google search and it looks like some places are selling out. When I bought mine yesterday they were not in the tofu case - they had to get me some from the back - I think they probably had a 'run' on them. I'll have to go back and stock up. Their shelf life (refrigerated) is till June, so that's good.

I hope you find some near you. LindaT posted that they have them at Safeway. I hope they have them at our Safeway - I'll check tomorrow.

I have a feeling these noodles are going to be a hot item!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

House web site, http://www.house-foods.com/tofushirataki_faq.html
They also have lots of recipes, this page also tells you who carries their products. You can ask your store manager to order some for you. Of course, they may ask you to buy the entire case but hey, it's not bad.

Be careful, if you go to an Asian market, make sure to check the sale by date, I've found several that were way past the date at a local small Japanese market.

Have fun experimenting with new foods.
Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 01-27-2006 at 09:21 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #13  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Interesting, do they tast good?
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

I've seen these advertised and wondered about them as an alternative to whole grain pasta as I don't eat "white" pasta. Thanks for posting the website ... very interesting.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #15  

Default Canada?

Any idea if they are sold in Canada? I have heard the buzz.
-Christine
ApplBride is offline   Reply With Quote