Old 01-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Default In your 30's? No kids? Have 50 - 100 lbs to lose? A little crazy?

There are so many great support groups here and I just don't know where to start with choosing where I might belong! So... I'm starting a thread here and hopefully some like-minded and like-bodied people will come and visit me here...

About me:
I'm 37
I have no bio-kids (I have 2 stepkids)
I have 2 cats
I have 2 fish
I am a Lifetime Member of Weight Watchers (reached my goal, kept it off 2 years and then fell into a big black hole of depression and personal problems)
I take a/d medication (Effexor - a life saver)
I have approx 85lbs to lose
I am originally from the States and I live in the Netherlands
I'm following Weight Watchers again since 17 Jan
I love music and travelling
Once I get into exercising I really love it
I do like a glass (or 3) of wine on a regular basis
I LOVE food and am always trying to make something new, different and most recently WW friendly.
I am a little crazy, but I promise a nice and open person

So, anyone want to join me?
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:36 AM   #2  

Can I join? I'm 35. No kids. Want one! Am losing weight partly to be healthier if/when I have one.

I live in the UK. I have 2 jobs. One as a tarot reader. I have a lovely fella and lots of mates. I like a glass of wine or 2 as well! Hobbies are writing novels and losing weight! I'm calorie counting and learning quite a few lessons about balance. My sister lives in Amsterdam so I've been there a few times.

And last night I packed my first gym bag since 1986! I have an induction session today at 12. ARGH!
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 AM   #3  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Hi Coley! Yes, please join me!!

I am also losing to get healthier to possibly have kid(s).

Nice to have someone nearly on the same time zone! I find it hard sometimes when I come here, post and then it takes hours before anyone responds because of the time differences.

Interesting that you are Tarot Card Reader!! I have tried a few times with cards I have at home, but my boyfriend is a bit of a skeptic and won't let me do it too often.

I don't have a lot of friends at the moment - I just moved pretty far away from everyone and during my worst period I suppose I pissed a lot of people off so I've had to move on with just myself and my partner.

WOW your sister lives in Amsterdam!! It's a small world!

Best of luck at the gym! Bet things have changed a bit since 1986!!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #4  

Thanks for the welcome Velveteen,

I started doing tarot cards about 15 years ago as a joke and stopped laughing when it started working! I don't mind sceptics at all. My fella is one. I just enjoy reading to be honest so its a good second job.

You talk about your worst period. I wonder how many overweight people suffer or have suffered from depression. I know I have but I hope I'm through that now. I saw a film about Churchill and he called it his black dog as in 'the black dog's here today.' Makes sense to me although I think its more grey...a nothing colour.

So are you doing weight watchers now to lose the weight?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:29 AM   #5  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Considering how many people out there emotionally eat... I'm sure the numbers are quite high for overweight people suffering/suffered from depression. I know I'm definitely through that period now, but only just... I can still be hyper-sensitive, have issues now with my self-confidence and it still doesn't take much for me to burst out into tears. Definitely a greyish colour...

I am doing WW now, just started back and had a 1.7KG loss for my first week, so pretty happy about that!! How is calorie counting going for you? I've never actually tried it, only Weight Watchers (this is my 3rd attempt - only the 2nd time did I reach my goal!).
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #6  

Oh I'm a definite emotional eater - and I've had a lot to get emotional about! But I'm hoping all that is in the past now or that, more sensibly, I'm learning better ways to deal with the crap when it comes.

I'm really enjoying calorie counting. Sounds odd but true. I think its because I'm not denying myself anything. In the past I've failed on diets very quickly because they were restrictive and I got kind of panicky I think. It made me stressed which made me eat so I failed. This diet if I have a high calorie day then I balance the next day. Its teaching me a new way to eat. Its also teaching me that snacks I might want really arent worth it. For example I had a cadburys creme egg on saturday night. 170 calories. It wasnt 170 calories worth of nice so I wont bother again. I do have a fun size mars every day though because its 87 calories of nice and I can budget for that!

I've lost 25 pounds since mid August which is about a pound a week. I was getting frustrated with the speed but I've talked myself round now. I'm not in a race - that's what I'm teling myself!

So tell me about WW. I know its the same sort of thing really by with point rather than calories. Do you go to meetings? Are they any good?

Is there anyone else who wants to join our 30 something, no kids and a bit crazy party?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:38 AM   #7  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Good Morning Coley!

Restrictive is exactly the reason I don't like dieting at all. I think WW is like counting calories, they just make it easier They've done all the work on how many "points" something is (whatever the formula behind it) and then you are able to figure out (based on weight/age/activity) how many points you should have. That's what I mean about being lazy... I don't want to be restricted and I don't want to have to "figure out" things... But both give a feeling of "control" and I think that's what we both need in the end (if you don't mind me saying so). WW and counting is also all about making choices... same with the "nice" and "not so nice" stuff... WW has points for that too... I would MUCH rather have nice!

I do go to meetings... I've been to exactly 2 now! LOL Previously on WW though, I went all the time, every single week. After I reached goal I went every week as well and then started to slack. I truly believe that *I* really must go and be accountable to someone until I'm able to do it myself. That may be never. I'm not sure if I like my new meeting, but there seems to be nice people there. It's just a big group (no pun intended! LOL) so I'm not sure if I'll ever really know anyone there.

So, how can we promote our new group?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #8  

Do you know I think that's exactly the thing...with other diets I've felt like someone else is telling me what to eat. I hate being told what to do (yes issues there!) so with this diet I choose what I eat. Of course I'm reading online and learning the best choices I can make but its still my choices not 'you can't eat....' I know from reading on here that some people really get on well with pre planned diets so its just different strokes isn't it?

I don't know how I'd get on with a WW group unless they could guarantee there would be someone heavier than me and someone who's lost 100's of pounds! I know its bad but I wouldn't want to be the heaviest there (I suppose because I am the heaviest most places!) and I'd want the inspiration of knowing that it could be done by seeing someone who has done it. Which is why I'm here I suppose because there is such a great mix and you get inspiration and comfort in the same place!

As for promotion..I dunno..I guess we keep chatting and see if some hardy soul wants to join us!

What are you up to this weekend? Any diet related goals? I'm out tonight with friends so my aim is not to drink too much. I have lots of tarot readings to do over the weekend and I need to be sharp! Also its just a waste of calories!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #9  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Hi Coley

Again with WW, that's what's great because there is nothing off limits. It's really "Here's the information we can give you, here's the guideline, we'll provide lists and books and suggestions for points and we'll tell you how to calculate points yourself, the rest is up to you"

I have seen different shapes and sizes in the meetings and from my own personal experience, a friend of mine joined long ago at a little over 130KG and lost 30KG for her wedding. She was still heavy but it worked for her (we all fall off the wagon though... at some point I guess!) at the time. I'm not sure if you would be the heaviest... besides if what you are doing now is working for you then you should stay with it! The thing I like also about meetings is that there is a group discussion usually (you don't HAVE to participate) and you hear things, tips, suggestions, or just personal experience that you can relate to. Another thing... if you go and there are people your size there and you are losing together you get to see right in front of your eyes that it works. I sound like I work for them or something... LOL I don't, I just like it

Don't have big plans this weekend... my stepson's birthday is Monday so his mum is having a party at her place on Sunday. So... cake and other crap available - I'm just going to plan that I go there with a full belly so I'm not tempted. That's about it really! Exciting life I have!! LOL

Too right about the waste of calories! Do your best! I know you can
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #10  

Hi.

I'm 33 (34 next month), not married, no kids. I have a horse and 2 dogs.

I also suffered from depression this year and Lexapro is what I'm on.

I have 78 lbs to lose and, while I'm sticking to my plan, I'm still depressed about having to lose that much weight.

BTW, it's the people who AREN'T a little crazy that I worry about.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Hello beginme!! Welcome, welcome!! So glad you could join us!

I understand about feeling depressed about needing to lose quite a bit of weight. I am aiming for 84lbs so we've got real similar goals. I too feel that way sometimes, though lately, I've been more "OK" about it. OK in the sense that it happened and now I have to do something about it. Not OK that I let myself get this way, no. I still go through phases of being pissed off at myself.

What sort of plan are you following? Whatever it is, we're here to support each other! We can all learn from each other anyway, what works, what doesn't, and how to make this a healthy journey.

And I agree... I prefer the crazy people myself! LOL
Old 01-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #12  
Cynical RedHead

Hi there! I am 36 with no children (but 2 dogs, a cat, and a husband) and I'm definitely at least a little crazy.

However, I have only about 20 pounds to lose. (I've lost my first 10 pounds since September 2005).

Let's see - I usually count calories (less than 1500) per day, but have just been tracking calories for this month. I will start counting again in February, but i needed a break. I exercise for at least 30 minutes almost every day. I try to eat healthy, but it seems like I frequently make bad choices because that is *easier* to do.

Let me know if I am welcome.
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #13  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Hi FishWoman!!

Well... I guess you can join us LOL - seriously, I don't think we have to be too strict about the amount of weight that one needs to lose to be here... I think it's more the age/no kids/craziness that's the most important

Coley is also a calorie counter So maybe you can exchange good ideas?

We'll also need your wisdom and guidance when you hit your goal and are maintaining... and maybe we can also keep you on track and honest so you don't gain the weight back!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #14  

Well, I'm focused on what I call the "secret" to weight loss--exercise and healthy, balanced eating.

I ride horses 3-5 times per week, but I don't count that as exercise since I've been doing it since I was 10.

I do my spinning bike 2-3 times per week, walk 2x per week, and do a yoga or pilates tape when I've got extra energy.

Food wise, I'm just trying to be reasonable. My problem areas are: icecream, ANYTHING chocolate, french fries, chips, and pizza. I'm staying in a 1,500 calorie per day program right now.

One other problem for me is getting enough protein. I don't eat anything with feathers or fur, so I'm pretty much limited to nuts, fish, eggs, yogurt, and meat substitutes.

It's so nice to have somewhere to come where people understand where you are.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #15  
Lost in NY

Hi ... mind if I pop in?

I'm new around here...I'm going to be 30 in 2 weeks (does that count?) and have no kids, just 2 cats. Emotional eater...check. Depression...check. I can relate a lot.

Looking forward to reading through all the posts and getting to know you all!
NYRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote