Old 01-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #1  
girlsrul

Default Report Time - Nurses Style!

Just wondering if there are any other fellow nurses looking to drop some weight in 2006.
I'll start with a little bio- I'm married to a great man who is a little overweight , but can eat 3 times what I do and never put that much. But to be totally honest, he is 32 so there is a "little" belly. Him not watching his diet when I'm trying soooo hard is difficult. He is supportive though.
We have 3 girls, 11, 7 and 5. All have thin builds (Thank God) and are fair to good eaters. I have had to work through the supper meal time crunch. Me eating healthy and them eating some veggies and other things that I'm always tempted to eat.
No for me,
As a child I was never overweight. But after I had my first daughter, I never lost my "baby weight", 2nd and 3 rd the same story. So here I am at least 60 pounds from where I need to be.
I received my ADN in 1998 and worked at a small town hospital for 4 years. All 3 shifts, no sleep, understaffing, and politics took there toll. Needless to say when you are tired (You know how tired I mean) and just trying to get by, you really don't care what you eat.
Currently I'm working in a dialysis unit Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and it's great! I have been here for over 4 years and I love my patients and knowing that I'm making such a big difference in all their lives. Our support staff is great and for the most part I enjoy my co-workers.
I would love to make some friends who are really trying to make a difference in their own lives and would like some support along the way! I turned 32 last month and realized that , Hello, not getting any younger I need to practice what I preach!
Love to have anyone join, nurse or not!
girlsrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:11 PM   #2  

Default Hello fellow nurse!

Hi, my name is Dawn, and I am also a nurse. I am a LPN working in home care w/children w/trachs and vents. I love what I do. I did nursing homes for 7 years and I have worked every shift known to man. I ate poorly due the amount of pts. I had on my unit, if you took the time out to eat your lunch, you would never get home on time, so I ate at my cart and kept moving. Only to realize that my weight dept moving with me. I would love to keep in touch. I have approx. 88lbs more to lose, so I'll be around. Good luck on your journey.
dawn7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #3  
girlsrul

It's hard when you don't stop for breaks, because then when you finally do get to eat , you binge to a point. It doesn't help when your tired, nursing is very physical, especially in NH with all the lifting. Good job for you though, looks like you have a good start.
My co-workers over eat BIG time and eat out frequently. It's hard not to any more.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Hi, One more nurse here! I work in rehab days, 12 hour shift. I worked midnight for a lot of years and finally got to the point that if I was ever going to sleep again i had to go on days. I've been on days about 7 years now. The good thing about midnight is there were no doctors to bother you! The bad thing about midnight was there were no doctors around when you needed them! And try to work out a eating schedule when you work midnights!

I have been dieting and only need to lose about 10-15 more pounds. Keeping it off is another story! I was at goal weight last summer and went on vacation, hurt my back and put it all back on. I'm getting too old for this yo-yo! Plus I never have any decent clothes to wear because I refuse to buy larger sizes!

I was always thin growing up too! All of my 8 brothers and sisters were. Now I am the only one that could even claim to be fairly normal weight! We were always big eaters, just very active.

So, if you have room for one more, count me in. I am using a combination WW and calorie counting for weignt loss. I try to exercise every day I don't work (after 12 hours I don't feel like doing anything but taking a shower and hitting the couch), I lift weight 3 times a week.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #5  
girlsrul

Hi there!
I can relate, working at night is sooooo hard on your diet, sleep. When those 2 are so screwed up, your body just gets worn down.
I'm not having the best weekend eating wise, we are so busy and in and out of the house with kids B-Ball games and I'm living in the van. Got to get me *$#@! together before Monday, can't stop now!! Got to go I'm already late! Have a good one
Old 01-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

Hey, guys, where are you? I've been doing well lately. My big problem is eating at night and I'm working at controlling that! Did well last night. My grandson spent the night and by the time I got him bathed and put to bed I was so tired I went to sleep too. maybe that's the answer, ya think? I just took him to school and stopped at the store to get stuff for salad, so that's what for lunch. I had peanut butter on cranberry walnut toast this morning, so i'm doing well so far. How about you?
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #7  
girlsrul

Things are going well for me too this week. Last weekend, OUCH, and this weekend doesn't look much better. I just have to make good choices, it will be a very busy weekend so I'll be burning a lot of calories at least. At least when we are on the run theres always subway!
Cranberry Walnut Bread, is that good? What brand is that, it sounds like something I would like.
Get some sleep! Have a good one
Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #8  

Default hI fellow nurses

Hi everyone, I've been working late hours and haven't really been able to check in here, but I have been doing well. I lost 2.25lbs more. I have 4.25lbs before my valentine's goal and I'm really looking forward to reaching it. I've kept up with my personal trainer and have been to curves, no separate videos and no add'l walking. Have a good night ladies
dawn7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #9  
girlsrul

Way to go Dawn! Your going to have a great Valentines Day. I'm jealous, a personal trainer!! Thats great!
This whole week, I've lost 1 frick'n pound. Of course having PMS doesn't help. I have always put on around 5 pounds the week "before."
My husband and I are flying out to Vegas the week of the 22nd for some serious party time. I shed my goodmom/sundayschoolteacher/professionalnurse skin and have some fun. Hey, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Anyways I'm hoping that by the time we go I can loose even 5 more pounds and be down to around 215. Right now I'm sitting at 220.
Either way my hubby and I will have no children for 4 nights . Hubba Hubba!