General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #1  
Movin on down the scale

Question Need advice/suggestions.

OK, as some of you know I have been making changes in my life since late July/Beginning of Aug 05. So far I have done most of my WL without any "real" exercise, just cutting my portions, ect. I live a VERY sedentary life and dont like it. I like to get out but it is hard with 3 kids and other obligations like all of us have....but here is the kicker, I live over an hour (70miles) from a gym. So as much as I would love to go 3-5 times a week, it just isnt feesable for me, plus I want someone to work out with to help keep me motivated. So I have been considering calling a nutritionist and seeing what they say about my diet in general, and then talking to a personal trainer to see about maybe even 1 day a week for 2 hours worth of "working out".

I know ideally I should be going to work out more often but it just isnt possible where I live. So do you think that 1 day a week with a personal trainer would make any difference? Or, would it be a waste of money? I would be looking at having gym fees (if I am lucky I can get a day to day membership since ultimately I would ve using it 4-5 times per month) Gas money to and from that alone is $15 per trip. Plus then the personal trainer fees which I imagine would be like $40-60/hr. (I figure I can pay for 1 hour of training and then work out alone for 1 hr also)

Any ideas? I thought about just getting some resistance bands and working out at home, but like my treadmill, there would be no one to do it with me and I would lose my motivation FAST. I also considered putting an ad in my paper to see if anyone would want to drive with me, but then the bad thing about that is that if they would want to do any shopping or something, then your stuck and since I would have to go in the late afternoon/evening it would be at least 10pm until we would get back to town as it is.....so I need HELP ladies/gents.

ANY IDEAS???? HELP, I need to get this last 20(ish) pounds off.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I was just on craigslist for my area and saw an ad for a personal trainer that specializes in coming to clients' homes instead of a gym. Maybe you could find someone like that in your area?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #3  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I like Nancy's idea. If you paid someone to come out for an hour and then pay for follow-up phone calls from that person during the week so that you can ask questions...and more importantly, know that you will have to be accountable when they call. I guess from your email that you don't have any friends nearby that you can team with? Is there a university/college closer than the gym? Like...maybe you could hire a senior in exercise science (not yet certified, but with enough knowledge to push you? It would be a sweet deal for a college student to get paid $20/hour and way cheaper for you so a win-win situation).

I think having to pay for the gym, the drive, all the time, etc. is really not a good "return on investment" ratio.

Is 70 miles the closest town too? Like....is there a sporting goods store that might have a bulletin board where you could post for a walking/exercise buddy? Or even putting an ad in the local paper? If you go that route, I would just suggest that until you know the person, you meet in a public place and may do a couple of walks together (these days, you just can't be too careful) before letting someone know where you live.

How 'bout an elementary school nearby? Maybe posting a note there and buddying up with a teacher? (I hate to make a big sweeping statement, but when I worked with elementary teachers it seemed like at least half of them were fighting weight issues and might be open to meeting someone after school a couple days a week).

Tracy
Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #4  
Movin on down the scale

Funny that you say the teacher thing, I am a teacher..lol But yes the closest *anything* to me is 70 or more miles. So even having a trainer come to my house wouldnt work. I thought about that too. I literally live in the middle of nowhere. I love it, but in times like these with wanting to exercise more it sucks. Our school gym is open 1 night a week, but all they have there is weights, no other equipment and I dont feel comfortable going there since I dont teach at that school.

I hope someone has some ideas that may work, thanks for the advice so far...I wish I could take it.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Why not try taking advantage of living in the middle of nowhere, start hiking, or running or biking. IMO it's MUCH more interesting than going to a gym!! If it's weights you're worried about, buy some dumbbells and check out www.stumptuous.com.

Gyms are around for people who can't or don't want to do outdoor exercise and I suppose all the stuff's in one place so it's convenient, but you burn more calories running outside than you do on the treadmill and it's LOADS less boring!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

2 Frusterated, it is toooooo cold to go outside most of the time. I want to utilize a personal trainer to help teach me how to exercise correctly. I do go outside more in the spring/summer/fall, but right now there isnt anything I can do outside. I dont want "weights" either....I want to be taught how to exercise.
Closed Thread