Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #1  

Default SV and NSV all rolled into one!

I stepped on a scale in public!! You know those huge scales at the grocery store? Well I stepped on one. And I weighed in at 287 pounds full clothed, including shoes and holding my purse!!!!

I've not been below 290 fully clothed in maybe 3 years ... perhaps more.

But the real victory is that I stepped on it because I knew that for the first time in years I would be able to. That I would not watch the needle peg out at 300 pounds. I didn't care what the numbers said. Just that it would be less than the scale's maximum.

And I did this infront of people.

Seeing 287 fully clothed and with purse in hand was nice. But even better was knowing that the scale held no real power to intimidate me any more!
VeggyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

LOOK AT YOU!!!!!! congratulations!!!!! i'm so proud of you...

and we'll deduct - what - 10 pounds for the purse? maybe 15?????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #3  

That's fantastic VeggyMom! I've been eyeing those scales too. I haven't stepped on a scale since Dec 7, and I'm really curious. It's driving all my family and friends crazy to not give them a number everytime I see them. I kind of like torturing them. I guess I'm sadistic. My next doc's appointment is Feb 2, so we'll see what happens. Everyone is so excited about getting to Onederland - I'm excited to get to, er, Twoderland. Hum.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #4  

You know, even though it drove me NUTS to have people asking me all the time, even relative strangers, how much I'd lost I could NEVER have gone as long as you have invisigoth!!!!! Isn't it making YOU crazy not knowing?

I remember hitting 250 and thinking this really isn't so bad!! A hundred pounds less and all. Then it was all about 200. Now its about my body being very, very stubborn and just getting it to 190.

Congrats veggymom! Not so much on the loss as on the success in claiming the power back for yourself. I still couldn't do that. I've been humiliated so many times. But I did finally tell (reluctantly and he actually went out of his way to find out after nearly three years) my dh what I weigh. The thought still gives me anxiety!
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #5  

Hubs, yes I'm a little crazy. But I think it's like what VeggyMom said - scales no longer have the power to frighten me. I know I'm loosing weight. I can feel it in my clothes, and in my energy level. I'm exercising everyday, so I know, or at least hope, that I'm increasing my lean body mass. But I sure do want to change my ticker!

I was going through a box of old pictures last night. I think I may have been at my biggest about 3 years ago. I've always been big, but the person staring out in that picture was a total stranger to me. For some reason, I never pictured myself as big as my pictures. I saw another picture taken around 1997 of me in a shirt I still have. I dug it out of my closet and tried it on. It fits me about the same as it did then, maybe a little bit better. I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #6  

VeggyMom, what a triumphant post! It lifted my heart and made me smile. All of us here know too well the tyranny of the cold, unfeeling scale! It no longer holds any terrors for you. Great work, and keep it up!!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #7  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations, VM! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Hubs, I'm with you ~ I would go absolutely bonkers if I couldn't know how much I weighed. Goth, you've got the patience of Job. I'll be logging in here first thing Feb 2 to congratulate you! LOL
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone!

Invisigoth - I really admire your ability to not weigh! I have my next appointment with my surgeon on Feb. 23. I'm going to follow your example and try really hard not to weigh myself until then. Hmmm ... might be time to take the batteries out of the scale!
VeggyMom is offline   Reply With Quote