General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 109.6kg/104.6kg/67kg (15/8/10)

Height: 170cm

Default "Diet" & "Sugar-Free" Products

Just wondering what peoples views are on 'Diet' drinks and 'Sugar-free' foods?

Are they really good or bad for the purpose of dieting to lose weight?

I read it here somewhere that they are full of chemicals and the likes, and I agree, but I eat/drink a lot of these products and wonder if continuing with them will help or hinder my diet.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #2  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Like they always say, everything in moderation. For me personally, I avoid diet drinks because I simply don't like them. I've finally gotten myself weened off of soda drinks all together, which was no small feat. Whew....As for sugar-free foods, I don't believe I've ever heard of that.....huh, you learn something new everyday.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 109.6kg/104.6kg/67kg (15/8/10)

Height: 170cm

Maybe it is just an Aussie thing then? Maybe I confused you into thinking real foods and not confectionary?

We have sugar-free chewing gum, sugar free sweets etc.

I drink a lot of diet coke, well not a lot, definately one can a day, maybe two. I find at work I need to nibble so consume the sugar-free sweets and biscuits there...again, not a lot, just to ease the bordom I guess lol
Old 01-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #4  
resident lactivist

I'm quite fond of diet sodas, & some sugar free foods, but I avoid sugar alcohols (maltitol, etc) like the plague. By & large, though, I am trying to move my diet more & more to foods in as close to their natural state as I can manage.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 AM   #5  

I have tried the sugar free stuff and it is not too bad... (I think the main reason it has become so available now is for diabetics) I try to cut down on diet sodas simply because I have a hard enough time getting my water in... but I think between the two, sugar free is better than regular. Again though, everything in moderation.

I got these really good sugar-free (Russell-Stover I think, actually) chocolate mint patties- at night I really crave chocolate. So I will sometimes sneak a piece or two just so I don't go out and binge on a pint of Ben & Jerry's- I think it's a psychological thing. Just as long as I am not feeling deprived of anything, I do a lot better and the sugar free helps quite a bit.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I tend to be a bit of a whole, natural foods nut. My exceptions are diet coke, light done right dressings, ultra low fat miracle whip and low fat cool whip. ... in moderation like the others said.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 AM   #7  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

OH! I get what you mean by sugar-free now. Sorry, had a "duh" moment. LOL Personally, I don't bother with sugarless gum and the like. For one thing, I'm not much of a gum chewer, and the few times I have tried them, they didn't last nearly as long as the regular kind. Whether or not there is a benefit, I'm sure there is in terms of your teeth and health overall.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #8  

I don't think of any foods, "diet" or otherwise, as good or bad. In my opinion, it is more important to step back and look at the big picture. For instance, I love cheese. Now there are plenty of "diet" cheeses out there and some of them aren't bad. I use reduced calorie cream cheese because I am just as satisfied with that on a bagel as I am the full fat/calorie version - but I can't use the fat free. Cheddar, on the other hand, isn't a cheese I'm willing to compromise on. I am much more satisfied by a very small amount of REAL sharp cheddar than I am by a full serving of the "diet" kind. So, for me it really comes down to balance and moderation.

I don't think there is any question that whole, natural foods are better for us. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that anything else has to be avoided. I realize that Diet Coke is void of any nutrition, that it can have an impact on the absorption of calicum, and that it contains chemicals. That just doesn't bother me. The pros outweigh the cons for that particular product as far as my lifestyle is concerend. My nutrition comes from the foods I eat, I get plenty of calcium, and the chemicals, quite frankly, don't concern me. I don't have a water quota but I know I get plenty through my food and drinks because my unrine is practically clear. So, I'm not worried about having diet coke with my meals.

The bottom line is to be educated and read nutrition labels religiously. So called diet foods aren't always a better choice over the full calorie/fat version. In fact, sometimes, they are the exact same product but the reduced calorie package lists a smaller serving size. We all have to consider our own tastes and lifestyles and make educated decisions for ourselves. If the question is whether or not switching to all diet products is going to lead to weight loss my answer would be no. If the question is are diet products bad for you my answer would be no again. Are there foods out there that are BETTER for you, absolutely. But, it is all about choices an personal preferences, IMO.
Closed Thread