Old 01-24-2006, 12:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

Default Why do I do this?

Ugh. I was doing fairly well, over the last few days. I was getting a bit of exercise in (unknown for me, usually) and was actually keeping my calories down to a reasonable level. Someone had mentioned Nutridiary in a thread a couple of days ago, and I want to say Thank You. For some reason, using that has clicked with me. I was using FitDay before that, but it didn't seem to keep me accountable. I don't know why, but Nutridiary seems to be a good fit for me. I even entered everything I ate tonight. And I know I wouldn't have done that with FitDay.

I don't know why I do this -- I have eaten and eaten and eaten this evening. To the point where I am now uncomfortably full. As I was eating, I knew I wasn't hungry. I was even asking myself why I was still shoveling food in, but I didn't quit. I just kept at it. Now my stomach hurts from eating too much, and I will most definitely be uncomfortable trying to get to sleep.

But at least I did log it into my food journal online, as mentioned above. That is really a huge step for me. To be accountable for what I ate. I ate over 3000 calories today. Actually, it could have been much worse. I have been known to eat that as a daily average.... But I had been doing so much better, until my binge this evening.
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:42 AM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

Was something upsetting you emotionally? Sometimes people eat more than they really want when something is "eating them"... Women I think often times stuff down painful emotions and hide from them by eating. Rather than facing a problem head on we tend to anesthetize ourselves.

On the other hand you may have been extra hungry because of the former days of dieting. The way to tell, is what were you eating? Was it comfort foods? OR would anything have worked as well?

Dealing with our emotions in more constructive ways is something that a lot of us need to learn. Sometimes it involves learning to be more assertive, rather than passive. Asking for what we need and want rather than hiding our pain. Binge eating is usually a sign that something isn't right otherwise in our lives. Or it could be due to blood sugar fluxuations. I've found myself eating and eating junk food at times when I really didn't want it, couldn't figure out why I was doing it. I think for me it has a lot to do with being a carbohydrate addict. The more of them I eat, the more I want. Whereas when I'm eating protein, I get full and don't want any more.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:49 AM   #3  

I have been having the same problem this week. I have noticed that usually an eating binge has a lot to do with my hormones. When it is getting close to "that time" I tend to feel very hungry. When it finally start my period my appetite drops off and I return too normal levels of hunger. I have been keeping up with my Fitday journal and keeping a record of when I am experiencing this feeling. It seems to help because I can see an overall pattern.
f(x) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

Yup, it's near that time. That's the only thing I can blame it on. I wasn't upset, or hungry. I knew I wasn't hungry. I just find myself doing this occassionally -- eating almost uncontrollably. I am still uncomfortable today, from eating way too much last night...
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

When I get that way... the undefined "munchies" where I'm wandering around the kitchen looking for anything that doesn't move, but I know I'm not hungry or upset... I eat a protein-heavy snack or meal. I know, I know, I preach this a lot. *grins* But it really works for me. Sometimes if I'm focusing on carbs and veggies and low fat for a few days, my body just seems to need a heavy dose of protein and fat and a big glass of water. So I drink a glass of milk, or cook up a chicken breast, or make salmon patties (from canned fish), or get out a bag of beef jerky for a snack, or make a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup (high on the comfort food meter for me) or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Anyway, often once I've eaten something like that, I find that craving goes away. Fat and protein really hit the satiety button. Even low-fat programs allow some fat, so it may be worth it to add a bit more than usual on days like this. Just be sure not to overdo all the time, and you should be fine.

(If I don't do this, I can eat bread or fruit or popcorn or baked chips with salsa or reduced fat Cheezits all I want and I'm STILL wandering around the kitchen looking for food.)

And drink a lot of water. I'll have a cup of hot herbal tea. It helped make my mouth happy and fills my stomach, and sometimes that's what's giving me those cravings.

Another thing that may not be true for others, but works for me, is that when I'm craving sweets... I eat pickles or green olives. For some strange reason, it CUTS the sweet craving almost instantly. Weird, huh?
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #6  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger
When I get that way... the undefined "munchies" where I'm wandering around the kitchen looking for anything that doesn't move, but I know I'm not hungry or upset... I eat a protein-heavy snack or meal.
I do the same thing. If I feel like I want to eat, but know I am not hungry, I throw two chicken tenders (buy em!) and throw them on the George Foreman (buy it!) or have a pouch of tuna with some dill relish. That way, my calorie count doesn't take a bruising and I satisfy my nibblies.

BTW, I love Nutridiary too. It's been working much better for me (appeals to my senses more that's for sure) than Fitday did, but both are useful programs.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote