View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #56
Rhapsody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Good question, Rhapsody, and I'm not 100% certain of the answer.

I've seen the term 'reduced obese' used in medical literature without a clear definition. However, usually 'obesity' is medically defined as a BMI over 30 (with a BMI over 40 considred to be 'morbidly obese'). In a few places, I've read that the metabolic effects of weight loss kick in when one has lost 10% of their body weight - that's the number that triggers the body to go into 'gain back the fat' mode. In the experiments that have been done with leptin, I think the subjects first drop 10% of their weight in order to reduce their leptin levels.

Certainly you weren't obese using BMI but you have lost 10% of your body weight ... I don't know if any of this might apply to you personally -- do you feel like it might?
Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm not sure if I think it applies to me. I only reached my target weight this week and am hoping to maintain from now on. The thing is that I am naturally slim and only gained weight because I became a complete pig over the past year. I am usually around the 9 - 9.5 stone mark anyway, so for me to be almost 11 stone was out of the ordinary.

I guess I hope it doesn't apply to me in the sense that I would like to keep the weight off, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Thanks again.
xRx
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote