Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #1  

Default Hi there everyone

Just thought I'd post an update. I'm down 5 sizes since my weight loss surgery! Woo-hoo!

I was at a Liz Claiborne outlet store the other day and I almost started crying when I started trying on some pants that fit me perfectly. I was so big before the surgery I couldn't even shop at Lane Bryant anymore. I had to order from catalogs or go to Fashion Bug which had bigger sizes, but hardly any work clothes. Now I can shop at regular stores with big sizes. There was a brown pantsuit at Liz Caliborne that I almost bought. Before, I would just buy anything that even sort of fit me, regardless of what it looked like. Now, I decide whether I really like it. I didn't like the color, even though it really was a steal at under $50.

I've been dropping a size about every 2 weeks right now. I love it, but it's getting kind of expensive. I get everything on sale, but it's still adding up.

One of my biggest problem areas is my stomach. I have a huge fold above my belly and one below it. I'm still so big that I really can't do a proper sit up. Does anyone have any suggestions on exercise that focuses on that area?

I still don't have a scale, so I'm waiting until my next doc's visit in February to find out exactly how much, but I think it's a lot. I've been really happy about this proceedure so far.

Last edited by invisigoth; 01-20-2006 at 12:20 PM.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #2  

Congratulations on your loss so far! Don't you just love it when things start fitting... and it will get better and better. You can probably skip sizes to cut down on the expense... wear your clothes as long as possible, even though smaller sizes fit you! I think I did 28s, then 24s, 22s, 18s, 14s, etc. without getting too many in the in-between sizes. I'm now a 4! Pretty cool, huh? I never even dreamed of it.

As far as your exercise question, there is some "core-work" (=abs) that can be done seated. You might check with your doc for exercises or for referral to PT. Exercise is THE magic bullet for getting the weight off and keeping it gone once you get through the initial period of rapid loss, so you are wise to incorporate it into your lifestyle now.

Keep up the great work!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #3  

Thanks Dancing Angel! Totally agree with you about the excercise. One thing my surgeon required was that all his patients walk two miles a day. He weighs you a week before surgery and if your lean muscle mass isn't up, then he can tell that you weren't walking and will cancel the surgery. I think that's why I chose him, because he was such a hard ***. I'm still walking two miles a day and now I've thrown in a little areobics. It's getting on the floor and trying to connect my knees to my elbows that's the problem!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #4  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Goth, it will happen ~ don't you worry! Just keep it up! I was at Yoga the other day, and I was able to perform THREE postures with EASE that I wasn't able to even *touch* before! I was soooo happy.

As for dropping clothing sizes, I'm lucky because I work at a hospital and I can wear the hospital scrubs. But even last week, my unit manager chided me into changing into a smaller size because I looked like a "clown." I honestly didn't think I could get into a smaller size and when I did, I was on cloud 9!

Ain't this grand?
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #5  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingAngel
I think I did 28s, then 24s, 22s, 18s, 14s, etc. without getting too many in the in-between sizes. I'm now a 4! Pretty cool, huh? I never even dreamed of it.
Angel, that's terrific! Sometimes I'm even afraid to dare think it.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

goth - you fabulous woman, you - that whole 'getting down on the floor and getting back up thing' just doesn't happen with this chickie. a person has to have knee cartilage in order to do it.

but it IS possible to do crunches. you can do them on the bed. on a coffee table. on the couch. or, you can get yourself one of those nice big exercise balls and sit on it! i love mine. and i don't have to get on the floor!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
you can get yourself one of those nice big exercise balls and sit on it! i love mine.
Me Too! And if you have a sedentary job, you can get a stability/fit disk to put in you chair to help work your abs while you work. Not as good as work out as sitting on an exercise ball all day- which you can also so- but its a good way to sneak a little more core work in without a lot of effort...plus you are getting payed to work out- that is always a bonus And as JiffyPop says, at least you don't have to get on the floor...I hear you on the knee cartiledge issue- I basically have none on the back of my one kneecap from all the times it dislocated before they realised I had torn a muscle that helps hold it in place. ALso, for the exercise ball, if you're intimidated to go straight to the round one, even WalMart sells the capsule ones now for under $15. To me, they look like peanuts in the shell- two bulges on each end with a little valley inbetween. They're great for beginers since you only worry about rolling back & forth, not every which dirrection.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default new products

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineu
Me Too! And if you have a sedentary job, you can get a stability/fit disk to put in you chair to help work your abs while you work. ALso, for the exercise ball, if you're intimidated to go straight to the round one, even WalMart sells the capsule ones now for under $15. To me, they look like peanuts in the shell- two bulges on each end with a little valley inbetween. They're great for beginers since you only worry about rolling back & forth, not every which dirrection.

Can you show me links of pictures of what you are talking about and how you use it?

I have the ball but my kids jump on me every time I get on it because well...it's a ball. They take over. At work I'm not sedetary (teacher) but at home I sit in front of the computer all evening. Would love something. Right now I only go to the gym once a week and once a week I go to the grocery store for 3+ hours (at walmart) and then look around the store afterwards.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

a capsule ball??? i've never heard of it!!! details!!!! details!!! details!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #10  

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm really going to have to look into that "capsule ball." That looks like something I could really use.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #11  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

I found the ball at Walmart.com. Do a search for exercise ball. It was only about $16.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #12  

I'm cursing balls today! Bought two. First one was too small to use as a chair substitute at my desk. Second one was 40" and up to my armpits! No WAY could I perch on that thing! GRRRRRRR..................
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote