Old 01-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #1  

Default Hamburger Helper w/ ground turkey & constipation

Just went to WI, down 3 pounds since Monday! (?) Down to 146. I am extremely constipated though which I have been struggling with my whole life. The counselors tell me to drink lots of water, hot lemon water, exercise...nothing works. Not even laxatives anymore. Any advice?

If I ate a tiny bit (like 1/3 cup) of Hamburger Helpre made with Ground Turkey can I count that as a carb craver or should I just STAY AWAY?
loseitlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #2  
Britt/LAWL~Red

laura
First off congrats on being down 3 lbs!!!!
I dont know of any other tricks for the constipation sorry I cant help you there. As for the hamburger helper i would just stay away from it. The two main things that would concern me are the noddles and/or rice and then the seasoning packet you dont really know what is in it but i would imagine the sodium is out the roof. If you want you could try it and see if it affects you but if i were me i would make my own type of hamburger helper with wheat noodles and your own seasonings. but thats my 2 cents worth....
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #3  

congrats on being down!!!
Your title for the thread confused me a little
But i would say that the hamburger helper is probably full of sodium.
1/2 a baked apple can sometimes help with constipation. And don't forget most normal laxatives (ex-lax and the like) have sodium in them too and will casue a gain for a while after taking them ( i found that out the hard way) If you have been havign the problem for a while, I woudl say to talk to your doctor about a prescriptive medicine.
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #4  

Thanks, Britty! And thanks Shennie! Shennie I had no idea laxatives had sodium in them. I have been taking them for the past month or so, maybe that is why the scale hasn't been moving (?) I have a doctor appointment on Jan. 20 to help solve this "problem" once and for all! I think I will try the warm apple tonight.
loseitlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #5  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Try the Smooth Move tea. It will get you going!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

I found that 3/4 cup of all bran helps me stay regular. I mix it with yogurt every day to make sure things run smooth. Good luck!
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #7  
LA counselor

Are you getting your fat serving in? If so try sticking to the more "natural" fats like butter and not diet margerine, oilve oil on a piece of toast is also good. These natural fats keep your bowels lubricated. It is common for many to be a bit constipated for the first few days or even two weeks especially if you had a much higher fat diet before starting the program.
lagirl2254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #8  

I have had the same problem my whole life....Going only once or twice a week is pretty normal for me...If I eat all bran with extra fiber I will go every day. It takes a few days to build up but then it will work......I have had IBS forever
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #9  
Katie

Gymgurl- I have IBS too. It is a real pain in the...well you know what I mean. If I drink a strong cup of coffee every morning, take my efa's, and stay away from pop I do great. Otherwise, I can get into real trouble.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #10  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

A strong cup of coffe and a banana does it for me. Apples are really helpful as well. If a have a baked apple for dessert, results are guaranteed in the morning!
Chklithunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #11  
Katie

Okay this is really weird, but the smell of melaleuca oil sends me running for the potty. I don't have a clue why that is, but just a big whiff, and viola!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo girl
Gymgurl- I have IBS too. It is a real pain in the...well you know what I mean. If I drink a strong cup of coffee every morning, take my efa's, and stay away from pop I do great. Otherwise, I can get into real trouble.

I have to eat all bran everyday and I am fine...I have ben dying the past two days so I bought thier tea..which I know I can get 1/2 the price at the health food store.....still nothing
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #13  

Default coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chklithunder
A strong cup of coffe and a banana does it for me. Apples are really helpful as well. If a have a baked apple for dessert, results are guaranteed in the morning!
I am a medical assistant and when i was in school we were told that a strong cup of coffee acts as a natural laxative. I was eating 2 la lite bars but they suggested to use one of the powders (less sugar) i use the vanilla cafe au lati and it has helped me. just my 2 cents.
onefatmomma is offline   Reply With Quote