Old 01-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #1  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Default Need some quick help with food please..

Okay so i guess i couldn't go the day without asking just one question.. . brother!
Anyway's my dh got paid today and were already broke! im sure lot's of you know what that's like anyway's we have no grocery's in the house and I really need some ideas of things staples that we could buy and use it for more than just one meal kwim? Like i know were getting eggs because i can use that for alot of meals but what else please help me I mainly need ideas for dinner and lunch ingredients that we can use again I have to go shopping today so please anyone?! Thanks!! - Kim
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Cheap? tuna in a can, vegetables (frozen or canned might have to do for now) rice, chicken.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #3  

great ideas thanks susan!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #4  

im actually just staying under 1800 cals a day so just good ol healthy food but I would love any and all ideas please!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #5  

thanks for the tips im going to try and come up with some meal ideas that i can have a few times a week that should save me some... then when we get paid again i'll be prepared! thanks and any other meal ideas that you can stand to eat over and over or at least 2-3 night's a week would be awesome!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #6  

great thank you!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #7  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

we're always broke, too! I make large pots of soup on he weekends - low sodium, low cal veggie or mushroom soup usually. and we have it with low-cal sandwiches during the week.
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

A lowfat beef roast, 5 pounds or so. Cook in the crock pot w/onion soup mix, or whatever flavoring YOU like. You'll eat all week!

Same thing for chicken breasts--cook them in the crock pot w/celery onion & carrot & maybe some parsley. You will just be able to grab & go!

Do you have an Aldi's near you? They sell stuff cheap.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm not a meal planner, per se, but I do try to cook up stuff on the weekend that can be eaten all week. A roasted chicken or two can go into a bunch of different meals/salads/sandwiches. A pot of chili or goulash or stew or soup in the slow cooker will feed us for a couple meals, and give us some containers for the freezer for "investment" -- future meals in a hurry for nights I just can't cook.

My favorite soup is veggie. My husband's is split pea with ham. Soup is cheap, and healthy, and filling. And for me, it's definitely comfort food. *grins*
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 249.4/210.0/140

Smile

I know what you mean about being short on money and needing to grocery shop. It is so tempting to get the cheapest processed stuff available, but there is nothing good for you in it. Eating right is EXPENSIVE!

Here is a tip that I have used often: when you buy ground beef, don't buy the most expensive, 97% fat free version. If you cook the 80% ground beef, drain all the excess fat and then thoroughly RINSE it with hot tap water the fat content is reduced to about 97%. This can save lots of money while still letting you have some protein.

Here is one of my favorite low cost recipes:

Comfort Casserole
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can 98%ff cream of celery soup
1 can 98%ff cream of chicken soup
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 bag frozen cut green beans
30 oz bag frozen shredded potatoes, thawed until you can break them up

Heat oven to 350°. Brown hamburger and onion in a skillet until cooked throughout. Add spices to your liking. (I add salt, pepper, and garlic powder) Add soups to meat and mix thoroughly. Pour into a 9x13-baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with as many green beans as you like. Evenly distribute potatoes on top of meat mixture. Bake for 40 minutes. Turn oven to broil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until potatoes start to brown.

The whole thing costs about $7 (in Wisconsin anyway) and makes GREAT leftovers. Enjoy!
Scrappy Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #11  

wow that recipe sounds great thanks a bunch! I love all the tips im trying to write down my list as it goes thanks so much guys!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #12  
Downsizing Dee!

I'm a big meat eater and that always adds lots of $$ to the grocery bills. I look for good prices on roasts and I buy tougher/cheapers cuts of beef. I'll marinate them with different vinegars and spices and they always come out quite nice. I'll cube some of the meat for stews and soups and slice more for stirfry. If I plan properly, 1 roast can last me and hubby for the whole week and we never have the same thing twice. Well I guess that's my tip for the day.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #13  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

My staple cheap and cheerful fare is dried beans and pulses. I soak and cook (and sometimes freeze) them in large batches because it's time consuming, and then make various dishes from them: burgers and chilli with beans; lasagne and lentil loaf with lentils; curry/dahl with Bengal Gram; pease pudding with split peas; soups with all of them....
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

beans are a great way to go! We make red beans and rice frequently. YOu can also throw beans in soups. or chili.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #15  

dried lentils and beans of every kind are super cheap and filling you can make a great meatless chili for next to nothing!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote