Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #1  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

Cool Let's talk vacation...

I'm getting beach fever! Last year we went to Myrtle Beach for a week and rented a house about 2 blocks from the beach in a little community. We had a wonderful time (there were 4 adults and 5 girls aged 16mo to 12yrs!) This year we want to go somewhere, but not have to drive so far. Does anyone have a northern east coast destination that they enjoy vacationing at...Jersey, northern VA area?
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #2  
PurpleSunshine

Have you ever went to Virginia Beach?? I haven't but have heard alot about it and have always wanted to visit!!

That sounds so fun having all the kids together so they can entertain themselves!!
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #3  

Actually, my corporate office is in Virginia Beach, so I go there once or twice a year on business. It is beautiful there, but then I'll feel like I'm too close to work, you know?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #4  
PurpleSunshine

Well that is true - didn't think about that - Good luck trying to find something I will let you know if I hear of anywhere -
Old 01-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #5  

Emmy: My DH and I love the Outerbanks of NC. We have vacationed there about 15 times in the past 25 years. You can rent cottages at several places depends on where you want to stay. We have stayed in a different cottage (rental house) each year we went. We have stayed in Duck, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and Nagshead (all offer a little different things). My favorite is the Kill Devil Hills/Nagshead area, my worst is Kitty Hawk. Duck is quait, but there is only 1 road to get there and although the area there and North of there are quieter - traveling on that road can be stressful. If your the type that will buy groceries for the week and just spend your time at the beach, then you make like that area better. From Syracuse to Nagshead it's about a 12 hour trip, we normally take our time and make it in 2 days.

Have you even been to Cape Cod? We've been there. There are trade offs to each location. While Cape Cod area has the best lobster in the world, the south has the best shrimp.

It's nice, also been to Nantucket and Martha Vineyard - very small and not much to do.

To tell you the truth I like the southern beaches much better where the weater is warm, and the water is warm. We have been to Cape Cod one 4th of July and the sand was too cold to stand on, I didn't get near the water. LOL!

On the Cape, the water is flat, no waves like you would see in VA or NC. Of course, the waters to get to Nantucket and/or Martha Vineyard can be very rough.

The only place that I would never return to even spend the night is Hatteras, NC. It's a fishing village a couple hours south of Nagshead, NC. It's very boring, nothing to do there, and you can't even get in the water because the water is so rough. The only nice thing is that if you have 4 Wheel drive, you can ride on the beach (if your into that). Plus, there was a wicked thunderstorm while we were there in mid August, we woke up to flooded roads. The water was so high, it hit the top of the wheels of my car. It was very scary I the only thing I would return there for is to take the ferry to Oracoke Island, never made it there and always want to give that a try.

If you have any questions, let me know.

I also have beach fever!

No matter what time of year you go there - the water is freezing. We went there Your best bet is to head South or due East IMHO.
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #6  
PurpleSunshine

Yes, I have to say Ditto - I love the outer banks myself, I'm just luck enough to live fairly close!!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #7  

I have thought about the outer banks...I'll have to look into it. My mom loves to go to Cape Cod...I've never beent there, but I think I would rather head south. Thanks so much for all the tips. I'll let you know if I have any questions.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #8  

Anywhere sunny warm with a beach sounds like heaven! We will be getting 4-7 inches of snow tonight....
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #9  
PurpleSunshine

gymgurl - What part of MI are you in? My best friends lives about 30 mins from South Bend IN - I'm going to see her Feb 16
Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #10  

Height: 5"4

I can't help you, I just booked my room in Myrtle Beach for July 24-28
I'm praying I'll look better in my bathing suit this year!
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #11  

I'm right outside of Detroit....
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #12  
PurpleSunshine

Cool - My aunt and auncle used to live in Troy - but they are back in NC now. My best friend lives about 3.5 hours from Detroit......She is closer to IN, practically on the border
Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #13  

ok, I am really slow, were is cape cod, heard of it, but don't know were it is.

Me and DBF are having our last children free vacation this summer. We are doing a cruise to the virgin islands (I guess the honeymoon would be child free too so maybe one more)

Next year, we are going back to Orlando (a free timeshare thing) and will be taking DS and the next summer is our wedding so no more child free trips for us so I want to get in a nice adult trip this year.
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by shennie_97
ok, I am really slow, were is cape cod, heard of it, but don't know were it is.

Me and DBF are having our last children free vacation this summer. We are doing a cruise to the virgin islands (I guess the honeymoon would be child free too so maybe one more)

Next year, we are going back to Orlando (a free timeshare thing) and will be taking DS and the next summer is our wedding so no more child free trips for us so I want to get in a nice adult trip this year.

Do you have a date for next summer? How exciting, youre going to be a gorgeous bride. Cape Cod is in Massachusetts, its really pretty there and lots of seafood, of course!
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:54 AM   #15  

Tina - have you thought about the Delaware/Maryland Shore? I mean Rehobeth/Bethany/Ocean City? We vacationed there for years.

Also, I've heard really good things about Cape May NJ, but haven't been there.

I love the NC/SC/GA beaches, but they are not within that 3 hour travel time. VA Beach is 3-4 hours away from DC, and the Outer Banks is further than that.

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote