Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #1  

Unhappy High Cholesterol and watching your intake

I just had a physical and my Dr. thought that I had hypo-thyroidism, but I dont. I did, however, find out that I have high cholesterol. She told me the basics: low intake of red meat, not a lot of shellfish, not much cheese, etc.

I just dont know how much I should stick to as far as cholesterol intake (how many MG's)? I have googled it but all I get are "buy our medicine" type things which are not helpful.

I plan on seeing a nutritionist, but I just want to have some guidelines to follow for right now.

As always...thank you guys!
layners7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #2  

http://www.s2mw.com/cholesterollowdown/index.html

Great website that will help you.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You're absolutely right to research!
You can also work toward getting your overall fats down (I see you use fitday.com) that'll help some until you sort out good fats and bad fats.

What about Heart and Stroke foundations and that sort of thing? Do they have websites? The American Heart Association?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #4  

American Heart Association is www.americanheart.com. There is a fine balance between good and bad chlorestrol and you actually can have too little of the bad!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #5  

I had borderline high cholesterol a few years ago and starting eating The Mediterranean way. My cholesterol is now below normal.. it is in the Optimal range. Your cholesterol is effected not only by the cholesterol you eat but by saturated fats as well. Also gentices can play a role in this too.

I did a lot of research online and found out what was the best option for me- may not be the same for you. I also saw a registered dietitian and it was very helpful.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #6  

This may not be the most popular response (because it's a different viewpoint), but I have to tell you my opinion regarding cholesterol intake. Here's the thing: If you don't eat cholesterol, your body will make it. For example, vegans (strict vegetarians who eat NO animal products whatsoever) eat NO cholesterol. If their bodies didn't make the cholesterol they need, they'd die. But, of course, their bodies make up for the missing nutrients. Many researchers are pointing to the "French Paradox." That is, that the French have much lower incidences of heart disease than the US, but they consume lots of saturated fats and cholesterol in the form of butter, cheese, whole fat dairy products, etc. In fact, some researchers estimate that the macronutrient breakdown of a typical French diet is up to 50% or more FAT...much of it saturated with lots of cholesterol.

The biggest issue with regard to cholesterol ratios has more to do with the TYPES of fat consumed and the types of refined carbohydrates consumes (weird, huh?). For example, polyunsaturated fats like sunflower, corn, and safflower oils INCREASE bad cholesterol ratios. And when vegetable oils like this are hydrogenated, the case is even worse because trans-fats are created. Moreover, the very imbalanced ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats is astounding. In most industrialized societies, we don't eat enough omega-3 fatty acids (think wild salmon, omega-3 enriched eggs, flax seed, walnuts). But we DO eat way too much omega-6 fats (vegetable oils)...because we're trying to eliminate CHOLESTEROL! In limiting our cholesterol intake over the previous few decades (less butter, more margarine & veg oils), heart disease has increased greatly. Also, eating too much high fructose corn syrup can have a very negative effect on the triglycerides and cholesterol ratios in your body.

In any event, I won't go on and on about this. I know I've written a lot of information. I will just tell you of my story: I never had high cholesterol (180 was the highest). Yet when I stopped eating crappy processed foods (mostly carbs) and began eating more butter, fresh cheese, fatty fish, olive oil, etc., my cholesterol decreased to 122 over a period of a couple years. That's where it is now. To me, that's too low. But I went from eating "low fat" to eating higher fat -- with more saturated fat & cholesterol. And my cholesterol went way down.

Just remember that this low fat diet thing isn't really the healthiest thing for many people. Our bodies need fat & cholesterol to function best -- think of your hormones like estrogen and aldosterone -- they are steroid hormones that REQUIRE fat & cholesterol...so either you eat it or your body makes it. Our bodies also need fat for the myelin that line our neurons to transmit signals throughout our bodies. There's just so much controversy surrounding the "best" diet for cholesterol issues.

One thing's for sure, though: Low fat diets certainly haven't worked to help obesity, nor have they worked to lower the incidence of heart disease.

Anyway, below is a website you might find interesting. There's lots of articles on there about various types of fats.

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html
sriddle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:37 AM   #7  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Get some Fish Oil Pills! Trust me, they work wonders! I went from very high cholestrol (in the 200's) down to 190 in one month by diet/exercise/and fish oil pills!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #8  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

My cholesterol has been high for the last several years. Over a year ago, before I was watching anything else I ate, I had oatmeal EVERY morning, and I still do because I love it so much. Well on my blood work just a couple of months ago, it went from 239 down to 214. I'm hoping it still goes down more with my healthy eating now.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/253.5/165

My cholesterol did not go up until I stopped doing Atkin's, then it went over 200. I did the oatmeal, soymilk, vegies, etc. for about a month but am now back to Atkins...hopefully when I go back to have my bloodwork done again next month it will be down again.

G
gkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote