Thumbs up Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom Gravy

Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom Gravy

1 lb. extra lean ground beef
2-4 T onion, minced
3 T Water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp canola oil

1. Mix ground beef, onion, water, salt and pepper in medium bowl just until blended. Shaped mixture into four oval patties

2. Cook steaks in oil in large skillet over medium heat to desired degree of doneness, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Serve with Mushroom Gravy

Mushroom Gravy - makes about 1 1/4c

1 c sliced mushrooms
1/4 c finely chopped onions
1 T butter
2 T flour
1 c reduced sodium, fat free beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

1. Saute mushrooms and onion in butter in medium skillet until tender, about 5 min. Stir in flour, cook 1-2 min longer.

2. Add beef broth and heat to boiling; boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4

Nutritional Information
Calories: 326
Fat: 23g
Sat Fat: 8.9g
Cholesterol: 84.5 mg
Sodium: 438 mg
Protien: 23.6g
Carbs: 5.1
Fiber: <1g
---------------------
Ok - I added a dash of Worchester sauce and some of my own seasonings including some fresh chopped parsley. I did not use any oil in cooking the steaks as I was cooking in a non-stick pan and only used 1 T of flour in the gravy and it was plenty thick for me. Also I only used about 2-3 T of sauce on my steak, so that might skew the nutritional information.

Not the most lean meal, but definitley ok once in a while. We served it with green beans, salad and butter egg noodles for the family.
rotten_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #2  

The flour would make this a phase 2 recipe. It also needs to be whole wheat flour. You might be able to use arrowroot to thicken it to keep it phase 1.

You also need to use an acceptable "butter" such as Smart Balance or use olive oil or a cooking spray. Otherwise it looks good.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/203/150

It might be Phase 2, but with the limited amount of flour, I thought it might be acceptable as Phase I.

As for the butter, I still believe that since butter is not a processed food, I would much rather put it in my body rather than Smart Balance which is processed. The limited amount of butter adds to the flavor.

Just my opinion.
rotten_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Why not saute the onions and mushrooms in olive oil? You could also thicken the gravy with bean flour or an egg yolk.
It looks yummy!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #5  

How about tomato paste as a thickener for phase 1?
garybearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote