Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #1  
Canada

Default Wave 2 - Desert - Kiwifruit Parfaits

Turns out this is not Sonoma friendly, sorry. I have some alternative ideas to make something similar further down this thread - editted by LindaT

From Your Diet Magazine:

Kiwifruit Parfaits - 6 servings

2 packs 1.7 oz Sugar-free instant vanilla Pudding
3 cups Skim Milk
1 cup Light non-dairy Frozen whipped Topping
6 kiwi, peeled and diced
2 tbsp sliced Almonds

Pour pudding mix into a large bowl. Gradually wisk in Milk until smooth, fold in whipped topping.

Layer into 6 parfait glasses or stemed goblets. (10-12 oz each). 3tbsp pudding, 1/2 kiwi, another 3 tbsp pudding, 1/2 kiwi and 3 more tbsp pudding. Top with 1 tbsp of almonds.
Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Also use other fruit available in Wave 2!!!
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #2  
Crazy(ied) Mom?

now that sounds really good! I have some kiwis in the fridge and some skim of course, but no pudding and cool whip. I might have to pick some up when I go get some more flatbread tonight!
tearjerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #3  

Default Not yet

..don't run out any buy anything yet. We are checking with the Sonoma nutritionists on the "legality" of the use of artificial foods on the Sonoma plan.

I'll update as soon as I hear. If this isn't legal, I have an alternative, sort of.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #4  
it's always something

The light cool whip is not allowed because it's basically a bunch of chemicals, not food. She didn't answer about the pudding mix, but I'd guess the reply would be the same, based on the ingredient panel on the box. This diet is based on more natural, unprocessed foods, and neither the light cool whip or the pudding mix fit the bill. I'm sorry!

I'd love to hear your alternative, Linda
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #5  

Ok my alternative.. not really a recipe yet, but something that I've been mulling around in my tiny brain.

The fruit and the nuts are fine, so those can stay.

Whipped topping - Did you know that if you chill a can of evaporated skim milk (not condensed) and then beat it it will form peaks like whipping cream? I would think a bit of vanilla extract, a bit of honey or maybe a tiny bit of a sugar free torani would work to sweeten. Now this isn't the same as whipped cream, but it is all I can come up with right now.

As far as a pudding type substitute, you could whip some cottage cheese or even ricotta cheese, (low fat) to make a pudding like texture. Even soft tofu would work. Again a little sweetener of some sort would be added as those items alone wouldn't be well "desserty" A puree of fruit could also be used as a possible sweetening source.. maybe a puree of bananas and tofu for banana pudding..dash of honey, dash of vanilla, maybe some cinnamon...

I just thought of something else.. a brown rice pudding would fit here

2 cups Brown rice,cooked
3/4 cup Skim milk
3/4 cup Water
2 tablespoons Honey
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Directions:

Combine and bake covered for 45 mins or till set.

and another

Creamy Rice Pudding

1 cup rice milk
1/2 cup apple juice
2 cups leftover brown rice
3 Tblsp raisins
3 Tblsp sunflower seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Combine all ingredients except vanilla in a saucepan. Heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking, until thick and creamy. Stir in vanilla and serve warm or chilled.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:07 PM   #6  
Canada

Hi Linda.. that sounds good!

So glad you all are keeping me in line! lol
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #7  

Default Whipped Topping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
The light cool whip is not allowed because it's basically a bunch of chemicals, not food. She didn't answer about the pudding mix, but I'd guess the reply would be the same, based on the ingredient panel on the box. This diet is based on more natural, unprocessed foods, and neither the light cool whip or the pudding mix fit the bill. I'm sorry!

I'd love to hear your alternative, Linda

Hi Everyone,

I was reading what you found out about the whipped topping and I remembered this article from the Hungry Girl newsletter. It's a new product called Hip Whip. I wonder if it might be Sonoma friendly?

Hip Whip

(2 tablespoons - calories: 15, fat: 1.5g, sodium: 0mg, carbs: 1g, fiber: 0g, sugars: 1g, protein: 0g)

Hip Whip is rapidly becoming a huge hit with vegans because it is truly the first all natural, completely dairy-free alternative to whipped cream (unlike others, it contains no casein). It's also tofu-based and is sweetened with white grape juice concentrate and gluten free brown rice syrup. But, truth be told, we just like it because it tastes GREAT! Yes, we're impressed with all that healthy mumbo jumbo, and the fact that it is completely trans fat and cholesterol free, but to us, it's just awesome whipped stuff to put on our strawberries or on top of ice cream. Oh, and we also like the name. Find this stuff at Whole Foods (in the frozen foods section), as it's unfortunately not likely to appear in your regular supermarket anytime soon.[/I]
Connie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #8  

I got this in my email today and I thought the same thing. I am going to look for it next time I am in Whole Foods and check it out more closely...The only caveat I can think of is the sweetening. I don't know how much of this brown sugar rice syrup is really in there. If it is a little, it probably is okay.

If anyone else picks this up, I'd be curious to hear about it.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #9  
Crazy(ied) Mom?

man! and I indulged in that the other night with some blueberries and strawberries! I was afraid the cool whip and pudding was a no-no.

trying to mull my brain here...the Italians have a cheese they often use in deserts like ricotta, but not...Mascarpone cheese..unfortunately I can't seem to find a nutritional value of it, so it's probably too high in fat...when I was contemplating doing sb or zone (I can't remember which) I remember them advocating it to use for deserts.
tearjerker is offline   Reply With Quote