Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #1  

Height: 5"4

Default I've officially lost my mind!

I am totally obsessed with my scales. I will weigh myself first thing in the morning after I pee. Then again before I put my clothes on, but I will pee again, if I can squeeze out 2 or 3 drops I think it has made a difference (crazy I know). I actually told my husband to hide the scales while I am at work today. Am I totally losing my mind here?

I get upset when I gain a half pound, then the next day it will be gone, then some other strange fluctuation, but if I go just from Monday to Monday I am loosing. HELP!!!!! On top of being fat now I'm loosing my everloving mind.....wonderful *sigh*
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #2  

I too am obsessed,but not quite as bad
Some folks say 1x a week,others say everyday so I don't know how often we're to weigh in,but if it helps you stay focused then why not weigh in everyday?Try to cut back to weighing in everyday after you get up & see how that goes~
GOOD LUCK!!!
2CMEAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #3  
LLV

It's real easy to become obsessed with the scale. It's NOT so easy, however, putting them away without going to drag them back out 5 minutes later. I was like that in the beginning myself. I didn't weigh quite as much as you do, but I did weigh myself every day and I knew I had to stop. It's pointless. Those little fluctuations do nothing but add stress. Your weight is going to fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds throughout the day. I decided I didn't want to put myself through that anymore, it wasn't worth it.

So after a couple of times of dragging the scale back out after putting it in the closet, I finally was able to put it away and leave it there. I only weigh myself once a week.

Pick a weigh-in day for yourself. A day where you'll count that weight as 'official' for the week. Weigh yourself first thing in morning, undressed and after you've gone to the bathroom. Then put the scale away and leave it there until a week later. If you have problems waiting a whole week, then try and 'wean' yourself down by starting out with every other day. Then every 3 days, etc.

Sometimes I'll even forget to weigh myself now. I'll be like, "oops, I was supposed to weigh in the other day." Quite a difference from when I was walking around with the scale attached to my hip.

You'll feel so much better, like a 'weight' has been lifted off your shoulders. Weight loss is great, but it's not worth it to become obsessed about it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #4  

The cure is drastic......get rid of em! I weigh once a week at my gym, and that's it. It drives me loopy if I weight every day.

But if you can do it every day without it driving you nuts and it works for you, then do it!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
The cure is drastic......get rid of em!
I've heard of people doing the same thing, just getting rid of them altogether. Although I don't weigh myself very often anymore, I definitely couldn't go without weighing at all. Because once I hit goal and start maintaining, my scale is going to be a guide for me. If it starts heading up again, it's time to back off the food and watch what I eat more carefully. If it starts dropping too far, it's time to eat a little more. Because the last thing I want is to be *TOO* thin.

I also agree with what you said to her, if she can do it without letting it drive her nuts, then go for it. But it's really quite pointless to weigh yourself more than once a day.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
It's real easy to become obsessed with the scale. It's NOT so easy, however, putting them away without going to drag them back out 5 minutes later. I was like that in the beginning myself. I didn't weigh quite as much as you do, but I did weigh myself every day and I knew I had to stop. It's pointless. Those little fluctuations do nothing but add stress. Your weight is going to fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds throughout the day. I decided I didn't want to put myself through that anymore, it wasn't worth it.

So after a couple of times of dragging the scale back out after putting it in the closet, I finally was able to put it away and leave it there. I only weigh myself once a week.

Pick a weigh-in day for yourself. A day where you'll count that weight as 'official' for the week. Weigh yourself first thing in morning, undressed and after you've gone to the bathroom. Then put the scale away and leave it there until a week later. If you have problems waiting a whole week, then try and 'wean' yourself down by starting out with every other day. Then every 3 days, etc.

Sometimes I'll even forget to weigh myself now. I'll be like, "oops, I was supposed to weigh in the other day." Quite a difference from when I was walking around with the scale attached to my hip.

You'll feel so much better, like a 'weight' has been lifted off your shoulders. Weight loss is great, but it's not worth it to become obsessed about it.

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY. The scale can be a friend or an arch enemy. And when it's the enemy somehow it's able to take over us and tell US how to feel about ourselves. Sometimes it's so evil it makes us feel bad AND makes us go off our plan. It's so not worth it. Too many fluctuations! One time a week at the same time is better for your sanity.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #7  

My parents weigh themselves every few days. I do it maybe 1 time a month, today was the day but I said the heck with it. Great Advice: if ur that crazy over it why don't u change the weight scales strating arrow downward so u feel better when it seems u lost a pound or two. If this is something u can't do then literally get it out of ur house give it to family or friends, or throw it in the trash early or right before the garbage truck comes to make sure u won't go back to get it. U can weight urself at a public place that has a reliable scale so u will do it less often. These options may seem silly but not as silly as peeing twice to everyday to make sure u weigh yourself accurately. Silly may be the wrong word but I am trying to be supportive. Do something about it now before it gets even deeper ingrained in ur head and starts affecting other things in ur life.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen
I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY. The scale can be a friend or an arch enemy. And when it's the enemy somehow it's able to take over us and tell US how to feel about ourselves. Sometimes it's so evil it makes us feel bad AND makes us go off our plan. It's so not worth it. Too many fluctuations! One time a week at the same time is better for your sanity.
That's for sure. And I felt better, too. It was instant. I put the scale away and sighed in relief, lol.

It also allowed me to relax on myself where my eating was concerned. I still watched my calories (and probably always will) but cutting loose those "scale shackles" made things so much easier because I wasn't thinking about it all the time.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #9  

I could see weighing only once a week totally backfiring on me. My weight fluctuates day to day, but I am used to it and expect it. However, if my weight was on a slight upswing on my once a week "weigh-in day", due to water retention or whatever, I could see myself getting discouraged (not knowing that I had weighed a pound less the previous day and that the extra weight was just fluid retention). I am pretty close to my ideal weight (within about 15 pounds), though, so I hover more closely to the same weight rather than seeing noticable decreases from week to week. I might lose a half to one pound every week to two weeks, but if I only weighed once a week and weighed on the wrong day, it could fool me into thinking that I had gained, when it may have just been a heavy workout causing my muscles to retain water. So, I do best weighing once per day - in the morning after I pee, before I eat or drink. It works well as long as I keep in mind that it is totally normal for body weight to fluctuate up and down from day to day and to not get overly excited about the changes, but to look at the pattern over time instead.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #10  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

I know there are differnet school of thought about weighing yourself daily, but weighing yourself more than once a day seems too obsessive. I weigh in at WW every Tuesday morning, and I track my "home naked weight" too. I like to weigh myself later in the week, usually Friday or Saturday morning to get a feel for how I'm doing. I really try not to weigh myself more than twice a week, or two days in a row.
TribeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

It'd be worth your while to find an old thread called 'Demystifying the Scale'. It's very interesting.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #12  

Height: 5"4

You are right Susan, great thread! The sick part is that I know my weight is going to fluctuate daily. It just seems like I want to see lower numbers, and I'll do nearly anything to get them (hence peeing again and weighing myself). I know it's crazy, I'm hoping given the fact the scales will be gone all week I can break myself of this crazy addiction!!! thanks for the responses ladies....Have I mentioned I LOVE IT HERE!!
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hopefully that obsession will get old with time. I don't do that any more (looking for a dehydrated weight)
Just like you get used to other things, low fat dressing, eating more veggies, you get used to weighing too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote