Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #1  

Default Wave 2 - Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Feta

Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Feta

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion +, chopped
1 clove garlic +, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup crumbled feta (low fat or fat free) cheese
3 tablespoons sliced black olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

This is another recipe where the squash really needs to be cooked a day or two in advance and left in the fridge to dry out some. Otherwise the texture of the spaghetti squash is rather mushy

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.

Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #2  
it's always something

Yummy, yummy, yummy I love spaghetti squash. I wonder if you could roast it with cut side down on a rack, as well as stab the top a few times, and allow more moisture to escape and result in a drier squash for a dish like this.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
Yummy, yummy, yummy I love spaghetti squash. I wonder if you could roast it with cut side down on a rack, as well as stab the top a few times, and allow more moisture to escape and result in a drier squash for a dish like this.
You need to try it and let us know!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I do that, Suzanne and LindaT, and it really seems to help.
This looks like a great recipe. So many of these are great for South Beach too. Yummy - especially with a glass of wine! However, I think raw turnip would be yummy with a glass of wine!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #5  
Crazy(ied) Mom?

great! I have a spaghetti squash laying around I NEED to cook up! Otherwise it's going to waste! I'm going to cook it tonight and fix it tomarrow for lunch...I can't wait, yummy yummy yummy!
tearjerker is offline   Reply With Quote