Old 01-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #1  

Default STOP THE INSANITY! Weekly Countdown to Valentine's!

The object of this thread is to STOP THE INSANITY! of doing the same thing week in and week out to lose weight, expecting different results, and not getting them! We invite you to challenge yourself to establish a new weight loss ACTION each week and repeat it for 7 days straight. Choose whatever inspires you and will make a difference in your weight loss goal - a certain amount of water intake each day, no sweets, a certain amount or kind of exercise a day, etc.

If you don't master the action - take it on another week. Once you have mastered the action, continue that challenge but if you are not losing weight (or inches) STOP THE INSANITY! and up the anty on that goal or take on another. We will weigh in and declare our challenge(s) for the week each Monday. I will award kudos for each day you report success and at the end of the week for total pounds lost.

We will support each other by staying focussed on our successes and/or challenges of the day and week and keep our personal stories to a minimum.

Let's see how much we can lose by Valentine's Day!

mscat-
All that we have is right now.
Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #2  

Well, maybe a really, REALLY, bad weigh-in was needed to get me back on track. Up to 196.5 this morning!! I think (hope) a lot of that is from last night's dinner party, followed by serious foraging in the kitchen... Suffice to say there is no more Mac and Cheese Dinner in the cupboard to tempt me.

This week's challenge: no after-dinner eating. No carbs, no protein, no fruit, no veg. Just water and a max of one decaf skim cappucino per evening. (This will be extra hard on Wednesday when I'm out for dinner again, but it's a work night, so...)

Today is my last day of super-sloth for a while. Back to work tomorrow, which will be quite a shock to the system, but will be good for my body AND for my state of mind. Maybe the end of the blah's at last.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #3  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi girlies!

Wish I had better news. I'm saddened by the scale, but it is that time of the month and I shouldn't expect miracles. I alwaaaaays gain about 5 lbs. So of course I'm up two pounds. I'm 220 this am. HOWEVER, I can tell you that I have lost 5.5 total inches since Jan. 1st. So I KNOW I'm gaining muscle and losing fat or I wouldn't be shrinking. I feel lots better, my clothes fit a little better and I have more energy. So I won't let this stop me!!!!!! Keep up the great work, all of you. You continue to inspire me.

I hit my 10000 steps each day except one. Was at the doc all day with my son and then ran errands. Just literally no time to do anything else. Food and water has been fine. Still should drink more water tho. Just feel like my eyeballs are floating!

So I'm going to change my ticker. I am also going to change my avatar to 55 lbs. lost. bc I've lost 57 total now. I have a cold, it's TTOM, plus I have all six kids home today, no school, as you know. Plus I have about 8 loads of laundry and need to clean out the fridge. Wish me luck in getting in exercise!! (I will do it tho, even if it's late at night, I'll do something.) I'm glad to say I've been doing leg toning and arm toning exercises every day as well. So maybe that's some muscle being formed??

Ok, sorry to ramble, I'm outta here. Have a great Monday!!!!!

Hugs, Selina
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #4  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Oh, my challenge for this week is no less than 7500 steps each day, cals 1400 or less, and 40 or less fat gms per day. Also, continue toning and trying to add more water.

Main challenge, what counts this week for me is the calories and steps. In the grand scheme of things, the calories are the breaker. Gotta stay low enough to lose, no matter what else you are doing. Agree?

May I ask those of you who are 150 lbs or less now, how much do you eat to be able to continue to lose? Seems like you'd have to eat very little.. or no?
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #5  
LGBWYFB

S/C/G: 244.2/244.2/159

Height: 5'5"

So this is week 3 for me and I've been doing great. I am really happy. I'm down to 208.5 For a total of 6.5 pounds in 2 total weeks. I've been going to the gym for 45 minutes each day M-F.. Saturdays and Sundays I do Windsor Pilates.

This seems to be working for me so I think I'm going to stick with this way of life. I also have just been eating regularly. I wat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. Keep it up ladies, I really love this STI plan!!!
acire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #6  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Hello
As I reported on last week's thread, my weigh in is 135.5 lbs this week, which means I more than met my mid-January goal. Now it's the countdown to 132 by Valentine's! However, I'm not going to step on the scale next week because I'll feel awful again if it says 136 or more or something...

Anyhow, my challenge for this week will be to continue on last week's successes: to be in bed with lights off by 10:30 pm (15-20 min later will be ok on Friday and Saturday) and no food after 7 pm. And bonus goal will be to do my 10 min of stationary biking in the mornings before leaving for work.

I'm counting Monday as a success. I did the bike and I did go to bed on time. I did eat around 9 pm, but that's because I forgot to take dinner with me to work, and it was my yoga day, so I had to eat something, but I kept it reasonable.
My Ashtanga Yoga course started again, and it went great.

Good luck to everyone!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #7  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Just noticed I had double posted.

Last edited by Sushi Penguin; 01-16-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #8  

Default Happy Monday!

Ok -I wasn't that happy this a.m. when I got on the scale. Kept putting off posting hoping it would get better. After exercising an hour my gain dropped to a half a pound over last week's weight After looking over the posts I see most of us were challenged last week.

So I asked myself, and I am asking you to do the same, what action(s) of INSANITY did I indulge in that could be cause in my lack of weight loss? Remember our definition of INSANITY is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. Keep in mind that INSANITY also covers not doing enough of the same thing and expecting different results.

I'll start - First, I did better on water, exercising, and eating sensibly than I have in a long time. However, I didn't do all three together consistently each day of the week. Secondly, as far as getting adequate rest is concerned, that didn't happen at all. Even though it is not a part of my challenge, we all should know how important rest is on maintaining balance in our metabolism. Third, I watched way too much television which means I was too sedentary many hours of the day.

The most important facts I have learned about weight loss (and I have studied alot) is it mostly depends on metabolism = the body's ability to burn calories. Selina, as Bonnie said eating too much is a huge part of weight gain. However, also realize that it is the eating too much of the wrong things that gets us in the most trouble. We also hurt ourselves eating too little and/or too little of the right things. Unless you have had gastric by-pass surgery or are bedridden, it is not healthy for most people to eat once a day or very low calorie amounts. Last, we don't move enough to burn calories and build muscle which slows our metabolism down and in some cases kills it.

My goals this week are to. . .
1. Pump up my exercise to an hour for every 3 hours of TV I watch. Today, I did an hour workout on the :treadmill: and it actually felt great. Hopefully it will force me to do other activities or keep me active while I watch TV. Starting another bellydance class on Wednesdays (2 hour workout) will help.

2. 3 servings of veggies/fruits a day - this will help me get Some of the good foods I have been neglected in and help me get my 3 meals in each day.

3. Track daily on WW so I can keep a record of my intake, exercise and water.

4. In the bed by 10:00 (24 will be over but I have to catch up on Battlestar Gallactica tonight

I have said enough - it's time to burst the INSANITY bubble and release the hot air. Anyone else?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #9  
dgpebbles

yeah..My scale is moving..I'm down 1.5lbs from last week...I got in five days of exercise in last week...I drank my water and uped my fruit & veggies...

This week my goal is to
workout 6/7 days....
keep eating good
drink at least 65oz of water daily

Good luck to everyone on this week...We can do it..
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #10  

Default Kudos for Last Week

Ladies - I want to make up for the long litany yesterday all about "ME" -Let me not forget to applaud the accomplishments we all made last week . . .

Phatpanda
Cindi
dgpebbles and for 1.5 pounds down!
acire
Bonnie and for 26 lbs in a year - that's 23 lbs more than I have done in the past year!
me
Sushi
Selina and for leading the pack!
carla you get the award for cheering us on even when you were on "break" Glad you are back on the challenge this week - we are behind you

As I said before, forgive me if I have missed anyone's stats. If you were successful last week great! If not, let us know what action goal(s) you are stretching! Have a great day.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #11  

Day 2 of no after-dinner food under my belt (or not under my belt, to be more precise).

I too agree that the main component in weight loss is calorie reduction. Unless you're at boot camp, you're unlikely to exercise enough to really lose a lot. Of course exercise will help firm us up, and I've always loved the fact that at least while I exercise, there's a good chance I won't be inhaling food and drink...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #12  
dgpebbles

did good today on everything from food to exercise...I do need to work more on eating my snacks throught out the day...I just get so wrapped up in work that I forget to eat it till I start getting hungry and by then it's almost lunch time..and the same thing happens in the afternoon..

Acire - congrats on the 3lbs this week

Bonnie-I think everyone will agree about the not having patience...we all just want the weight to fall off....but we're all lucky that we have each other to support us through this....How long have you been at 1800 calories?..maybe you should try just droping down to 1700 for awhile..that way your not over doing it every other day...

Carla - I like your way of thinking...as long as we are moving were not eating.. lol..I'll have to remember that one..
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #13  
trying to only eat bamboo

Good Morning all~

wow...things have been so busy and I don't seem to even have time to check up on things here and give updates...well my "mid-week" challenge that I am posting up is to SLEEP at least 7 hours each night. I've been doing much better on watching my calories but I am definitely lacking in the sleep department. I knew it was a BAD sign last night when I went to bed at 2am and my stomach was telling me it was hungry since it had been so long since I ate dinner...

Well, g'luck to all this week! STICK TO IT! stay motivated! HAPPY HUMP DAY!
phatpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #14  

Default Night Ladies

2 hour killer workout a bellydance class. I am sooooo tired. Also knee is killing me! Will have to give treadmill a rest. I ate well today and I am was in bed before 10.

Thanks for awesome article Bonnie!

carla you are rockin' with 2 days under way!

dg I sympathize with you - I am really bad about eating enough food which tis just as bad as too much food.

acire for meeting your goals today and for your lbs down last week!

panda you keep us motivated with your honesty and tenacity.

Have a great evening all.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #15  

As I feared, last night was a wash from every point of view. Well, I did enjoy myself, but... So I ate too much sweet stuff, drank too much wine, stayed up too late, ate after dinner, didn't drink enough water... And only me to blame, as everyone else at the dinner was behaving. Somehow I have to get past the mentality that if I'm going to have ANY forbidden things, I might as well "make it worthwhile" and go overboard.

But today is another day, and my intentions are good... time to get out there and start paving that road again