Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:19 AM   #1  
Hottie without the body.

Default Everyone seems to hate on pills..

So I've been lurking for some time now and have been doing a lot of research on this board. I've used it as a good starting point in trying to organize my diet plan (thanks!).

I've already lost over 70lbs through eating right and exercise. I can't seem to get past the 145-150 hump though. I've worked so hard and to be stuck on this plateu for as long as I have is extremely disheartening. My job also doesn't make my dieting efforts easy. I work 5 days a week either 9-5:30 or 1:30- 10 in a mall. I don't have the ability I used to have to eat 5 small meals a day, let alone healthy meals while at work. We don't have a refrigator or microwave so bringing a meal to work is a difficult task (warm lunchmeat is kinda gross). So I eat a lot of Chinese and Subway

So here's what I am wondering, there has to be SOMETHING someone has taken on this message board that helped them boost their efforts. I plan on exercising and continue my diet, but I just feel the need to incorporate something else that might help me burst through this blah streak. I don't have health insurance so consulting a doctor is out of the question, let alone a prescription pill.

It's just so hard to find unbiased information on the internet! ugh!

Like I already said, I plan on using a pill in conjunction with watching what I eat/exercising. I'd just like something that gives me a boost in my effort. Suggestions?!

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who takes time to read this or offer insight.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #2  

I agree that there's a negative vibe around pills on the boards. Yet, in truth I think if u take them u should only take them short term or a few months at most and u gotta get off them. To go back on again is okay but short term too and after that u shouldn't really need to use them for anything else except for maybe losing some quick weight for a specific reason. Anyway, I am finding a hard time seeing a great supplement anymore. OLD hydroxycut was good at stopping my hunger and okay for about two weeks at giving me an energy boost. This is with the fact that I drink a good amount of diet coke. I also drink fresca by the way. My mom took 7 keto and it was good. Not great but good. As for hoodia I have done a lot of research and find so much bias without hearing what is really being said by the owner of the patent or without regard to what patent law rules are in regards to a naturally occurring ingrediant like what hoodia contains. I would not try trimspa though or such weaker stuff that obviously doesn't work. We all know that stuff just doesn't work cause there's so much info and personal accounts and facts about it's contents posted over legit and not so obvious legit sites. I am actually gonna try some hoodia after doing some through research but watch out if u do try this stuff as the way it's manufactured and who manuf. it as well as who sells it matter. Some will say forget the pills but there's no reason not to take them short term if they work. But as always is the basis of truth in losing weight and keeping it off, a proper diet and exercise must be the core. This is always the truth. The pills could curb hunger or give a boost of energy for workout but they will never be the workout - until maybe with a chance discovery someone finds out how to manipulate our genes to safely simulate exercise without the movement, with all the benefits included. Even if one finds a pill to curb hunger u need exercise to keep ur metabolism up cause it would be like starving urself or it would make ur body compensate for the lower calorie level. This is my opinion but I know u gotta move and u gotta eat less to lose weight. U gotta eat right to get less health problems that revolve around a bad diet.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #3  
ugggg.....

I have actually tried propolene, trimspa and relacore and am here to tell you that none of them helped. Exercise, water and portion control is what is working for me.
I am lucky as we have refridgerators and microwaves at the office where I work. My son on the other hand is a electricians helper and takes his lunch and the only sandwich he doesn't like cold is his peanut butter and jelly. He bought himself a good thermos for hot foods and a insulated lunchbox with icepacks to keep things colder. He also says it helps to put the sandwich in a baggie and then wrap it in aluminum foil and out it directly on top of the cold pack. He says it takes a little extra time but it's worth it.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #4  
it's always something

I think Jules gave excellent advice

The reason we don't seem supportive of diet pills here is because we've heard too many horror stories of side effects or psychological dependence, and our own investigations into the the ingredients and published studies have shown information completely different than what the manufacturers promise. OTC products are not regulated, so it's pretty much anything goes in that industry. There are too many things that can go wrong. We do think that there are some situations where someone needs a little extra help, but that should be received through a prescription and monitoring by a physician.

If what you are doing isn't working anymore, then maybe it's time to try something new I second Jules advice about the cooler and thermos. You can pack salads, fruit, sandwich fixings, yogurt, etc. I'd stay away from the Chinese because it can be very deceiving. It looks like a lot of chicken and vegetables, but it's usually coated in high calorie sauces. The average Chinese restaurant serving of General Tso's Chicken contains 1600 calories and 59 grams fat. Kung Pao Chicken has 1620 calories and 76 grams fat.

Another option is to increase your exercise. Your body may just need a kick-start to boost your metabolism, and tossing in a few more cardio sessions a week might do it

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Truthfully, I am very unbiased about most things, including diet meds IF prescribed by a reputable physician.

In the dim past I have tried every type of weight loss effort known to man, including diet supplements and including those with ephedera, which is happily mostly not available over the counter anymore. Ephedera IS the only supplement that ever moved any pounds off my bod, but with a cardio condition, it was highly dangerous to take it ... and it's dangerous for ANYONE to take it, in my opinion. If someone prefers death to a few extra pounds, I'd recommend ephedera!

I've taken the Keto 7, the green tea, the Relacore, etc. Most of what I've taken has been sort of benign and not harmful, but in my opinion it's all a waste of money. The Relacore was kind of a good vitamin supplement, actually, but it cost $48 a bottle, so I decided on One-A-Day instead!

Since those days, which were awhile ago, I've come to the conclusion that making the effort to eat right despite whatever circumstances arise (I also have problems juggling job and eating right), there's just no substitute for a healthy diet and exercise. It's also been a MAGIC PILL to cut out refined sugar and white flour ... I've broken plateaus everytime I've done this.

I third the advice Jules gave about coolers. There are also those tiny plug-in refrigerator units available for not a lot o' moola! I've seen them in drugstores and Wally World.

If you did want to try green tea as a "diet aid," you could just make green tea and carry it in a little thermos and sip it through the day. It's pretty healthy, so even if you don't lose weight from it, you'd be getting some nice antioxidants and it tastes good with lemon in it.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #6  
charliekay

S/C/G: 260/246/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot of Love
So I've been lurking for some time now and have been doing a lot of research on this board. I've used it as a good starting point in trying to organize my diet plan (thanks!).

I've already lost over 70lbs through eating right and exercise. I can't seem to get past the 145-150 hump though. I've worked so hard and to be stuck on this plateu for as long as I have is extremely disheartening. My job also doesn't make my dieting efforts easy. I work 5 days a week either 9-5:30 or 1:30- 10 in a mall. I don't have the ability I used to have to eat 5 small meals a day, let alone healthy meals while at work. We don't have a refrigator or microwave so bringing a meal to work is a difficult task (warm lunchmeat is kinda gross). So I eat a lot of Chinese and Subway

So here's what I am wondering, there has to be SOMETHING someone has taken on this message board that helped them boost their efforts. I plan on exercising and continue my diet, but I just feel the need to incorporate something else that might help me burst through this blah streak. I don't have health insurance so consulting a doctor is out of the question, let alone a prescription pill.

It's just so hard to find unbiased information on the internet! ugh!

Like I already said, I plan on using a pill in conjunction with watching what I eat/exercising. I'd just like something that gives me a boost in my effort. Suggestions?!

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who takes time to read this or offer insight.

boy i am soo glad i am not the only who feels the heat about pills around here,i don't want it to take forever to lose 10 pounds so i use pills,but boy i hear about.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #7  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliekay
boy i am soo glad i am not the only who feels the heat about pills around here,i don't want it to take forever to lose 10 pounds so i use pills,but boy i hear about.
I too have tried the pills looking for a quick fix, I am just saying...don't get your hopes up.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think Mel would tell you that the 'ingredient' we need for that extra boost is weight lifting.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I tried to go and do some houework but this thread was bothering me. I actually have something of my own to say

We've now been in the age of modern medicine for a long time. Over this time we've become aware of the facts that 1. medications can have unforseen adverse side-effects. 2. some of these side-effects can be permanent.

While, I'm certain that there are safe diet pills out there. I worry about the risks involved. Particularly since lots of folks seem to be able to achieve weight loss without them.

I don't doubt you when you say that you eat well and exercise. That's not it at all. I just want you to make sure you've examined all the safe ways to crack that plateau before you try something with any risk involved.

Ask more questions. Get more tips. Have you done any reading in the Maintainers Forum? Everyone here at 3 fat chicks would be happy to help you make the healthiest and safest choice.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #10  
Hottie without the body.

I took a salad to work once and by the time I had my break it was soggy and gross. It also doesn't help that I really don't like most lunchmeat. The lunchmeat that I do like, isn't sold here. It's only available back home in Virginia I'm a VERY picky eater.

I'm not looking for a miracle pill by ANY means. As many people have said on this forum and in other places, if there was a magical pill that could shed pounds right off of you.. there wouldn't be an obseity problem in the world.

I was just merely inquiring about something that could effectively surpress my appetite a bit or give me some more energy. Coz boy, lemme tell ya.. after standing for 8-10 hours and constantly moving, I don't have much energy. I force myself to workout anyway, but a boost would be really awesome.

As far as Chinese goes, I always get beef with brocoli and steamed rice. I drink water CONSTANTLY. I've limited myself to only one diet soda a day. I'm Pakistani, so I grew up on green tea I've had a cup a day since I was old enough to handle a hot liquid. I try to make as much Pakistani food as possible because it's so incredibly healthy and filling. Everything is boiled or baked! Veggies are a must when eating Paki food (oh how I love spinach).

I once took those Mega Green tea pills and found some sucess with them. I retain water BADLY and it helped me get rid of that (anyone have any tips on that area too?). I also got an energy boost. But after being on them for a week, the energy boost was no longer apparent. So I stopped. I only had a negative experience once while taking it. I got really nasuated one day but that was because I didn't drink the required amount of water. I drank more water the next time and I was fine.

I'm so close to my goal weight (only 20lbs!), it's just taking forever to get there!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

I know what you mean, I have around 15-20lbs to go also, and it is soooo hard to get it going. But the winter is the worst time to try to lose weight, so as long as I maintain until spring, I will be happy if I only loose 2-5lbs per month in the WINTER time. Because when Spring/Summer/Fall roll around I will be moving around like crazy and eating better than I do now (which is pretty darn good..lol) but FRESH is best and spring/summer is when the fresh stuff returns.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #12  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I have tried so called 'fat blockers', hoodia, etc. in the past and none made any difference for me (except to lighten my wallet ). What DOES work for me is eating about half the calories that I used to and exercising moderately.

Besides, who can afford (financially and health-wise) to take this stuff FOR EVER? If it actually did work, then obviously you would gain weight as soon as you stopped taking it. I'm in favor of a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix.

In genuine medical studies I've read about "maintainers" who have kept the weight off for a long period of time, you never hear them say that it's thanks to a little pill.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #13  

I think one of the problems with diet pills is that it is hard for people to believe that the manufacturers can make up COMPLETE LIES about their product to sell it. If you notice, ALL of these quick-fix pills have "these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA" underneath them. The loopholes they can use just by their choices of words are amazing.

I know several people who see these commercials on TV, with the people swearing to god that these pills helped them (let's take Anna Nicole for instance) and how YOU TOO can have this body. But even Anna herself admits she eats 5 small meals a day and works her a$$ off, exercise-wise. (Thank goodness Anna isn't bright enough to remember her contractual obligations 100% of the time to b.s. about this product!)

The bottom line is, I have known umpteen people who have tried diet pills or appetite suppresants or "metabolism boosters". Some of them lost a few pounds over the course of a few months. Now, I will share with you the success stories of the people who not only kept that off, but continued to see success with the pills....

*cricket chirping*

Oh, that's right. There were none. Zero of the people I know had any luck with any pills. Those that lost 3-5 lbs over a few months, eventually and slowly gained it back while still taking the pills. That's why the boards are so "anti" pills - you are talking directly to the people that used them! They are simply giving you the truth.

Robot - it sounds like you've made some sweet progress and are very close to that goal. I know how frustrating it is to have varying work hours and schedules and not be able to lose. It seems impossible getting into an eating/exercise routine when you don't know what you'll be doing day to day! I think perhaps the ice-pack small cooler thing might be worth a shot. Isn't there *any* place in the mall that sells salads? Even if it was a fast food salad, you could bring your own low-cal dressing in that cooler pack? Also, meals with protein in them seem to last longer in the tummy from my experience. I started having low-fat string cheese as a snack, and these 80-calorie yogurt smoothies and that seems to help immensely. Again, those need refrigeration though You sound like a reasonable intelligent person who's already done a lot of work to get where you are. Just look at this as a good exercise in problem-solving: how to keep foods cold with no fridge around.

Let us know if you find any solutions!

Last edited by SmartButt; 01-15-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Sorry to chime in again. Peanut butter is a great energy booster and helps control appetite. I always use it to get over plateaus as it seems to rev me up. Maybe you could just take a jar of pb to work and have a spoonful every few hours ... or just eat some peanuts (no salt) or other nuts, or a mixture of nuts and a little dried fruit? You could stick some of this mix in a little baggie and stick the baggie in your pocket and just eat some when you need to.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I carry baby carrots. Once in a while when everything around seems to be busy and no one is looking, I eat one. (get the tiny ones).

BTW, I don't tend to put my stuff in a fridge at work (too much work hahaha). I carry many things:

applesauce cups
carrots
slice cucumbers
cherry tomatoes
bananna
apple
tv dinner (yeah, it's a little thawed out)
mini bagel with a lite spread (separate)
pkg of oatmeal (use hot water from coffee makers)
yogurt (I eat this early in the day)
V8 Juice (early in the day)
water
almonds
pumpkin seeds
strawberries
sugar snap peas (eaten directly out of the bag and a pocket food)
tuna in a pouch
orange

I work at a school and I'm constantly going but I still find time to make snacks. I'm not kidding when I say sometimes it is when I am on my way (inside) the restroom. LOL. The cooler would be a good idea. Maybe a SMALL fannypack especially if you wear tight clothes. Or keep the baggie behind the sales counter, etc. Wherever you can. I know this is not the advice you were looking for, but I have no experience with the topic but thought you could use other tips as well.
Closed Thread