General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:04 AM   #1  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Default Who is your strongest supporter?

I just wondered whether people have the support that I have been lucky enough to have over the years when I have been at my biggest and as I have lost weight.

My husband has been a tower of strength for me during this time. He loved me when I was big and NEVER criticised me for my size. He has adapted to my new lifestyle totally - only problem was that he lost too much weight to start with and we had to feed him up a little. What a problem to have huh? He also doesn't mind at all when I spend HOURS shopping for clothes now. He knows how much of a novelty it is for me to actually be able to walk into normal stores and find clothes that fit. Sometimes I just try them on - I don't have to buy them - it just feels good to find that the next size down fits. Mind you, I certainly still buy too many of them. He helps prepare my salads and cooks things just for me if I am fussy. He just does SO much for me that I would have to write a book to cover it all.

I don't have many close friends, as I spend time mostly just with hubby, but I did make a wonderful friend in 2004. I had been on my healthier lifestyle for 6 months when I had a parent/teacher meeting and while chatting to one of my students' mother I found out that she is a dietician. We have since become really good friends and she has given me such wonderful advice and SO much support. The first thing I remember her telling me was "There are NO bad foods, you just have to eat them in proportion." I think I really needed to hear that, as I was looking at food as kinda an angel or demon. I just needed to educate myself about food I think.

I hope that you all have family or friends who support you 100% through your endeavours. It certainly makes the world of difference.

I'm posting a pic of me and hubby that was taken at Christmas, so you can see my 'baby' who is so supportive.

Take care all,

Zelma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0010dsmall.JPG (49.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-09-2006, 02:16 AM   #2  

First off, Wow!! 175 pounds lost?! Congratulations to you!!

My husband is also my number one fan!! He's been with me through my gain, and now he's so supportive in my choice to lose! He has agreed to eat only healthy stuff around me! (He's a truck driver, so I only seem a few times a month.) And on our daily phone calls he tries to encourage me! If I'm struggling at any point in the day I can call him and chat, and he helps me through the tough times!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #3  
Movin on down the scale

My husband, and myself! I am like you and dont have too many good friends. My hubby is my best friend. He does want me to stop loosing now, but he also totally understands that I NEED to loose 10-15 more pounds for ME.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:18 AM   #4  
Vegan in Training

hmm, I'm not married.

I live with my mother, and she's diabetic. There isn't much junk in the house to begin with, because she is a total healthnut herself.

She wants me to be healthy but not stress overmuch and cause myself stress over the extremity of some diet she feels is difficult to follow or cramping my lifestyle. She wants me to be happy no matter what size I am but also to have the body I want to have.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #5  

I have a whole team of em!

My dh- who was a bit scared at first that I would disappoint myself - is now the greatest, and is so supportive and encouraging, he's even going to take up running with me!

My workmates - one has turned into an exercise buddy, we go to the gym at lunch time, without her I wouldn't go nearly as often.

My gym instructor at work - he has helped me so much, to know how to reeducate my attitudes to food, to learn how to exercise, and to learn that it's ok not to be an angel all the time!

My cute gym instructor at my gym near home - he's so funny and always so encouraging.

People like the lady who owns the pub near our house, as soon as I walk in she gets my diet coke ready! She even buys in the lemon diet coke just for me!

I was really open about my desire to lose weight right from the beginning, and I have had nothing support and encouragement from everyone I have told.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #6  

My family is losing weight together, so we are all encouraging each other! My dd is trying to lose 30 lbs, my dh is aiming for 50 (but in my opinion, doesn't need to lose that much), but I have over 100 lbs to lose. We are cheering each other on all the way
Old 01-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #7  

So many supporters, I'm grateful to say!

My husband, who never, ever said a single word about the nearly 100 lbs I gained since we married....He's loved me whatever size I happened to be at.

My cousin, who lost all her weight about 5 yrs ago and has been soooo supportive and encouraging to me. She's even sent me greeting cards out of the blue to encourage me! I'll be forever grateful.

My co-workers, who share their experiences, and are kind enough to tell me when they see changes, because I really have a problem with body dysmorphia....

My daughters, who have been compiling their own nutrition and exercise regimens. It's cool to feel like I have something teach them from the things I've learned along the way. I hope they can bypass some of the sadness that obesity caused in my life.

Others, like the folks on 3FC, that are willing to share their hearts with strangers. Blessings to all......
Old 01-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #8  

I am blessed to be surrounded by wonderful friends.......some I have had since I was in grade school.........a huge family........great kids and a husband who wakes up everyday and genuinely wonders what he could do to make me happy.........he is such a teaser........."anything for you honey!".......it is a rare thing to find people who truly care for you with no strings attached. I feel blessed.

Liz
Old 01-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #9  
ugggg.....

My kids, who love me know matter what I weigh.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My husband too. He was always loving and wonderful to me but Now ... there's admiration there too. He tells me how proud he is of the hard work I've done. He almost always puts his hand on the side of my waist lately

And of course these forums!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #11  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

My mom and kids.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #12  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

My husband, definitely. He has always told me I'm beautiful, no matter what the scale or clothing sizes said!

Congrats on the loss too. That is wonderful!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

My family is definitely my main support system, but my co-workers have been wonderful. I even signed up for a fitness course at the college that I'm attending because a co-worker was extremely supportive and offered to go with me.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #14  

My family is my biggest support, they are just completely wonderful to me and would support me with anything.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #15  

My sister is a huge supporter right now...but my husband and family have all been great. I'm very thankful to have them.
Closed Thread