Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #1  

Default Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook

Speaking of books, recently there has been discussion about recipes for post WLS and I knew I'd seen one at Chapters but the last time I was there they'd moved sections around again and I couldn't find it. Today I did!

This is a really quite nice book full of recipes from a high protein perspective and with an emphasis on turning 'mush into magic'.

Here's the link to the book - Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery - by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray. I bought it today.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #2  

This looks great! Thanks for sharing, I am ordering one tonight.
LessLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the link. I just ordered this book as well. Even thought I am a pre-op, it never hurts to be prepared.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #4  

I made the zuchinni pancakes from the book tonight. They plugged me up right quick. Fed most of what I made to the dogs. Bummer.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #5  

Well, I ordered it too. Thanks for the link Hubs. Lets hope the other receipes work better.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #6  

I have a lot of trouble with what I can eat at the best of times.

Oh, and next time I will actually let the moisture drain out of the zuchinni onto paper towel like the book says to! lol
Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #7  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Well, I just got an email from Amazon saying that mine's just been shipped.

And speaking of getting plugged up, I've been having horrible constipation lately and that's kind of a new thing for me. I take a stool softener every night. Can anyone recommend a better one? AUGH. My bum just can't take it no mo'.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs
Oh, and next time I will actually let the moisture drain out of the zuchinni onto paper towel like the book says to! lol
Whenever you are putting grated anything- potatoes, zuchini, carrots, onion, etc- in a recipe & you don't want the extra moisture affecting your end product, put the grated 'stuff' in the middle of a kitchen towel, bring the corners & sides up and squeeze the excess moisture out. Don't use terry cloth towels- you want the smooth, 'flour-sack' like towels. With things like carrots, you can save the juice to use in other recipes or even to drink. I made a Carrot-Pineapple-Raisin-Oatmeal Bread tonight that I should have squeezed some of the moisture out of the carrots- its a little too moist in the center even through its fully cooked.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #9  

Thanks Christineu. That's the reason I didn't drain the juice. I WANTED to keep it in there as much as possible. That and I was just plain lazy! lol

Indi, when I get that problem which is in sharp contrast to the years of IBS so I know exactly what you mean when you say it isn't usual, I turn to Effer C. In other words, I take a minimum of 2-3000 mg. of powdered Vitamin C in 1 - 2 cups of warm water. Yes, there's that warm water you don't like again! I take it at night before I go to bed. I hardly ever have to do that two nights in a row but it doesn't hurt if you do it each and every single night. The trick is taking that much in one serving so to speak.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #10  

Oh, and keep in mind that just based on the change in quantity you won't have to 'go' as much as you used to. But you can definitely get plugged up.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #11  
unemployed karma fairy

Well, Hubs, you'll be proud of me because since you told me about the warm water thing, I've started to drink tea...I start with a whole cup and I'm able to get half to 3/4 down quite nicely. And before my WLS, I was just getting into the habit of drinking alkaline water (1 qt boiled water with 1T lemon juice and a pinch of ginger) and I quit that because my tummy couldn't take all the fluid. It's getting better now.

Anyway, as soon as I'm done with my Ester-C, I'll switch over to Effer-C. I've got too much money tied up in supplements right now to let any go to waste.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #12  

I don't know what kind of tea you're drinking but I'm SO glad you started. Can you get to where you could add a little fresh lemon juice?

Failing that, my last resort fix is stewed rhubarb. No kidding.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #13  
unemployed karma fairy

Is 100% lemon juice from the bottle good enough? I priced lemons at the store and they are a bit expensive for the woman who is feeding 4 strapping boys (3 of whom are as big as men) and an amazon daughter. Lemme know.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #14  

well, compared to NOTHING juice in the bottle is super duper!!!

You're doing so great! I wish everyone put things into practice the way you have been. Your the best.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #15  
unemployed karma fairy

Hey, girl, I feel God put you in my path to help keep me healthy, so you better believe I'm going to do my best to follow your advice. Not to mention the great amount of respect and trust I have for you. Just remind me never to eat your zucchini *anything.*