View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
synger
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Also keep in mind that those body metabolism calculators, which tell you how much you eat to maintain your current weight, are extrapolated from normal-weight to slightly-overweight people. Once you get into the "morbidly obese" category, it just isn't a straight extrapolation any more.

Those things say I should be eating over 3000 calories to maintain my weight. Bull. If I eat more than 2500 on a regular basis, I gain. I aim for between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, and lose about a pound a week fairly consistently (two weeks holding, two weeks losing two pounds each, seems to be my cycle).

That being said, I agree that you may want to look not only at HOW MUCH you eat, but at WHAT and WHEN you eat. I've found that if I eat more often, and focus my snacks and meals around protein, I am almost never hungry. I fill in with lots of fruits and veggies and lean dairy and some whole grains and nuts.

It's when I get overly hungry that I'll eat anything that's not nailed down... whether it tastes good or not. And that's not good for the waistline.

synger is offline   Reply With Quote