Old 01-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #1  

Default Tortillas question - help!

My boyfriend wants to make tacos tonight out of one of those taco kits. He bought one with hard and soft tacos. I read in the book that 1/2 of a 6" tortilla is 1 starch, so if I have 1 soft taco, that is my starches for the day? I at least wanted 2 soft tacos! I am using ground turkey and none of the seasoning that they use, its very high in sodium (on my portion of the meat). If I want 2 do I count it as a Carb Craver?
loseitlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #2  

this is completly off the record...shh
but I love tortillas with everything and i fought tooth and nail to have a full tortilla that was only 30 calories instead of a half one. I had to bring in the container with the calories on it, but they agreed to let me have 1.5 tortillas for a starch. I still cheat and have the full 2.
However, I use corn tortillas wich are ussaully fewer calories and carbs. The brand i use is from a local company so that couldn't help you much, but if you are going to use a flour one, I would have to say to count it the way they say.

as far as a carb craver substitution, the carb cravers are designed to be more than just a starch replacing a protein. the calories, protein...etc in them are "specially formatted" (I'm sure it's some type of neuroscience ) so just substituting will not be a good idea.

You can use the flour and bake it and make it a shell and have taco salad with the flour as the shell...just a thought.
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #3  
Ripp

Whole wheat tortillas are also an option. La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low Carb Low Fat Tortillas = 50 calories, 11 carbs, 8 grams fiber and 5 grams of protien. They make great pizza crusts and sandwich wraps.

For your grund turkey, you can use cumin and chili powder to spice it up.

Laurie
Ripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #4  
Britt/LAWL~Red

You can also try a whole wheat Pita sort of has the shape of a taco shell so you can still have the same feel of a taco but I would agree to go with the whole wheat tortilla if you want one of those. FYI if you have a kroger they have the whole wheat pitas on sale this week 10/$10.00 and you get six in a pack so that is 60 pitas for $10.00 not to bad i got 10 and froze them since i learned that they keep them stored in the freezer at the store when they are not on the shelf lol. Amazing what you find out when they are out of something on the shelf by asking if they have more.
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #5  
PurpleSunshine

Taret also has some of the whole wheat pita pockets on sale this week too - 6/ $1` - I think they were kangaroo brand ....I think they were 80 cals a piece...would that count as 2 s?
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #6  

nope, 1/2 pita is 1 starch. I use Kangaroo too...i was just told to make sure it is the wheat one.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #7  
PurpleSunshine

Thanks Shennie
Old 01-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #8  

Shennie -in my book a 4" whole wheat pita is 1 starch. I enjoy every bite.
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #9  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Just wanted to say that you can use the pitas for just about anything and that is the brand i got on sale too! I have been using them for breakfast and putting one triangle of laughing cow garlic and herb cheese inside with i egg and some onion and its sooooo yummyyyyy. I will be using one tomorrow night for my turkey burger as well so they are very versitle and they are only 1 S yet i get bread or rather pita on both sides!!!!!! We should find out who made pitas they deserve a reward!!!!

Julie I was wondering that myself cause thats what my book says also but i cant imagine that i could have two pitas for 1 S..... i might have to call my center i dont want to cheat myself out of 1/2 a starch lol
Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #10  
PurpleSunshine

Wow Britt - you are just full of info for me today - that egg, pita and laughing cow cheese sounds extremely yummy.......where do you get the garlic and herb laughing cow cheese?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #11  

Ok, i measured a kangaroo 1/2 pita (the ones that are pre-sliced) the half one is 6" by 3" so I would say it is a 6" pita, so britt, we can't eat a whole nother half, but you can get some of it don't know how, but i will not understarch myself by any way, so I will figure out something.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #12  
Britt/LAWL~Red

You can get laughing cow cheese at most any grocery store the new flavor of garlic/herb i got at sam's club and they also had a french onion i think is what Julie said the 3rd flavor was but I havent looked to see if they were in the regular grocery store yet. But let me tell you its great stuff and yeah the egg pita pocket is really good, quick and easy to make.

Shennie i called my center to see what they said and they said as long as it was a 4" that we could have the whole thing so yeah i got out my ruler and a pita pocket and yeah they are 6" soooo im gonna try and figure up how much of starch we have left after our 6" half of pita lol i wont want to cheat myself out of part of a starch ........
Old 01-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #13  
PurpleSunshine

Shennie - you are so funny - I'm glad someone understands all this food science....I did on ww - but now I'm in a different world
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #14  

ok, I guess DBF is right I am a geek, but i calculated the area of a 4" circle and half of a 6" circle and the half of a 6" cirlce is actaully bigger than the full 4" circle.

so basically we are already getting more than we should be getting with the half of a 6" pita
Old 01-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #15  
Britt/LAWL~Red

HAHA i sat down and did the same thing and I kept saying to myself i think we are getting about 1" more with it this way lol so I think i will just use it the way I have been using it lol