Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Default Swimming Post-Op?

Hi Guys,

It's been 3 weeks since my surgery (lap-band). Is it ok to go back to my hot tub and to start swimming at my gym? I MEANT to ask my Dr. at my post-op visit and totally forgot. I will give them a call in the morning but I thought I'd ask all the wise chicks who hang out here!

Thanks,
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #2  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't go in a hot tub until my incisions were thoroughly healed, but that's just me. I might be a little too conservative...so ask your doc!
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

i agree with indigo - as soon as your incisions are ALL healed, go swim, soak, whatever... those pools and hot tubs are not as clean as we'd like to believe, so until your incisions are completely healed, you're still at a fairly high risk of infection.

hope your doctor answers you - i'd LOVE to know if we were right or wrong!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #4  

Height: 5"4

I've had 2 abdomen surgeries, my doctor told me to not even take a bath vs. a shower for 6 weeks due to the dangers of infection, so I would definitely wait until I talked to him.
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #5  

Hi Chickies! I should have said that it's our hot tub so we keep it clean and make sure the pH, etc. is in balance. Still, I don't want to do anything foolish after everything has gone so well.

I did call my Dr. and am waiting for a call back (by tomorrow 5pm). If you guys are right maybe I can put off exercise for another week or two

Of course, there is the treadmill or old-fashioned walking, especially if the weather stays nice
Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

ummmm. there's no polite way to say this, kim, so here goes: just because swimming might be out right now, YOU'RE NOT EXCUSED FROM GYM CLASS. ya gotta move your cute, getting smaller tushy SOMEHOW.

so, get out those walking shoes!!!!! or try gilad's bodies in motion [he's very cute, i think... and his show helped me get started]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #7  

Waiting is NOT too conservative!!!! I did have severe infection and when I still had a drainage bag last time for three months you can BET I was impatient to sit in water!!! But really, its not worth risking infection.

Patience Grasshopper.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #8  
banned

I was told after my own abdominal surgery (I have six laproscopic scars from the incisions) not to swim and go into hot tubs or saunas for about 6-8 weeks nor tub bathe. This would prevent any risk of infections to the incisions, and I was also instructed to use Dial antibacterial soap to clean them during the healing process.
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:39 AM   #9  

Thanks jiffy - another excuse is so hard to come by

-L has been very supportive and we're hitting the gym on Tuesday (the kids are out of school on Monday). I don't have a client until 10 am so I'm thinking of putting down the coffee and walking on my treadmill before my shower.

I did get a call back from a PA at my surgeon's office and she felt since the incisions were closed and not weeping I should be fine to swim/hot tub. However, she didn't fill me with confidence that she knew what she was talking about. I'm already 3 weeks post-op, what's another three weeks!

Thanks girls! Kim
Old 01-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #10  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

yup, trying to get Kim moving. I bought a waterproof case and headphones for my ipod and with it being resolution time the gym is a zoo so I though we could swim as kim's knee is still not up to par and water walking is something she is able to do without problems. I don't want to hurt her or cause any more problems for her but the time is ticking and I have the whip out. I can wait a few more weeks to swim as cold weather and a pool never meld well in my mind but the sneakers are getting dusted off on Tuesday and with your chickies help we will get kim back to fighting shape sooner rather than later.

-L
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote