Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #1  

Default The gym

Ok, I hate the gym. I know I'm not alone in that feeling but I get there and I can't wait to get out. I'm on the treadmill for 20 minutes today and I'm ready to bolt...why!!! It's not awful by any means, I'm watching the tube, doing a nice steady 3.6 to 4.0 and I'm thinking of what else I could be doing instead and hop off. (meanwhile, I've got nothing else going on, so I get off to come here, to my computer)

Any ideas on what I can do to make the gym not as lame? Switching it up as far as machines go hasn't really worked for me. I think I'm seriously undermining myself and my weight loss. It's like I'm opposed to working up a sweat! Help!!
autumnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #2  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile

What about listening to music while walking?

I don't go to the gym but do have a treadmill at home and it has become my friend. But...there was a time I HATED the treadmill. I would do the same. It was too easy to just stop when I wanted to, and still is. Now what I do is break my walks up into two or three. I am good for 20-30 mns. on the thing before I get bored but music has helped tremendously! My DD made some Cd's for me with motivating music that keeps me going, that and the desire to lose this weight once and for all. I love walking outdoors and do so when the weather is great so if your weather is nice, that might be an option for ya too. Of course some don't mind the cold or wind, I'm not one of those, lol. Not really sure what else would work if you are already switching machines. I do that also, walk some and then ride the exercise bike, do weights and then get back on the treadmill, somedays that helps. Also, maybe if you come up with a mantra for you, something to think about instead of what you think you should be doing. Anyway...good luck!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #3  
PrestonsMama

S/C/G: 253/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Another vote for music! I just downloaded a few songs that get me motivated and today was my first day with music and it was awesome! I did it longer than ever before and I felt really good afterward! I heard that oen of those ipod shuffles are nice bc they have an arm band that you can put it in, I wish I had one, but for now I'm stuck with my old cd player! Good luck!
PrestonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #4  

Have you got access to a trainer? In my membership I can have access once every 6 weeks. He is fantastic (oh and cute too). I was 262lbs when I joined the gym, I went up and told him I hated it. So he gave me lots of interesting things to do. I have learned to use fit balls, and discovered that despite my enormous frame (which is now as you can see by the chick considerably smaller), I have good core strength and flexibility!

Music is a great idea, but if your issues go deeper than that and your really at risk of giving up exercise, use your tools! You might find you suddenly start enjoying it. I hated it for 6 weeks, but then once the endorphins kicked in, I loved it! And still do!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #5  
Hot Babe In Training

I want to love it.
I want to crave it.
I want to succeed with it.

I just need to get there.. hopefully it will happen soon
HiImChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

It will get better. When I am ready to throw in the towel I remind myself why I'm doing it, and ask myself if I have anything really great to do instead. Not usually!

cheers,
Sue

PS My stepdaughter hates jogging on the treadmill, and I'm 90% certain it's just because it's hard right now because she's not in good shape. I hated it once too, and then I got fitter, and now I'm fine with it.
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #7  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

My vote is definitely for music. If I like the music, I have no problem with sticking with it. But if it's boring, I'm oughta there.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:21 AM   #8  

what has really helped me at the gym is my friend, and now shes my work out buddy. We're planning a trip to Cuba in May, and I've been losing weight for the past year, I had hit a major plateau/streak of laziness last year and I'm finally now getting back into the swing of things. Anyways, back to my point, she has really helped me out, she knows I can do it and everytime I even think of slowing down she kindly reminds me of why I shouldn't ie: bikini lol So getting a friend to go with you may help. Also music is a nice to have. I highly recommend investing in a MP3 player, they are less bulky and easier to work with than CD players. You can get them pretty cheap now too, I got mine on sale for $50, holds 100 songs, all motivating ones lol
Nicole1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #9  

Thanks for the advice everyone! I do have an iPod but sometimes the music just isn't enough for me. It's probably just issues I have to work on myself. Keeping my eye on the prize is probably the most effective tool I have.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Er can I just say.... If you hate the gym... why do you go?

I hate the gym! I hate running on a treadmill - I watch the seconds tick by... I feel everything since nothing is distracting me!

Now I don't have a gym membership but I am EXTREMELY active, Monday - outside run, free weights at home, teach kickboxing, Tuesday - kickboxing class, Wednesday - outside run, free weights at home, Thursday - advanced kickboxing and ladies kickboxing, Friday - free weights at home, Saturday outside run.

So maybe treadmill work isn't for you. And if you don't like it, you'll stop going, simple as that. You need to find something you enjoy - trail running, mountain biking, step class, dance class, belly dancing, salsa, tap dancing, kickboxing, kung fu, taekwondo, fencing, swimming, inline skating, horse riding, boxing, weight lifting, circuits, trampolining, gymnastics, squash, racket ball, tennis, badminton, hockey, lacrosse, cheerleading, ... You get the picture!

Oh and one last thing, don't care what anyone thinks! I was a 200lb tap dancer
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #11  

I totally agree with 2frustrated! I hate cardio machines, but I love cardio classes. A lot of gyms have some pretty cool classes. Or try classes outside the gym like martial arts, kickboxing, dance. A lot of places where I live will give you one free lesson before you sign up, so you can decide if you like it or not. Or try to find a walking club in your area. You can meet a lot of new people who are trying to meet the same goals as yourself. There's a lot out there to do besides the gym. Good luck!

Darby
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #12  

I totally agree with 2frustrated! I hate cardio machines, but I love cardio classes. A lot of gyms have some pretty cool classes. Or try classes outside the gym like martial arts, kickboxing, dance. A lot of places where I live will give you one free lesson before you sign up, so you can decide if you like it or not. Or try to find a walking club in your area. You can meet a lot of new people who are trying to meet the same goals as yourself. There's a lot out there to do besides the gym. Good luck!

Darby
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
Er can I just say.... If you hate the gym... why do you go?

I hate the gym! I hate running on a treadmill - I watch the seconds tick by... I feel everything since nothing is distracting me!

Now I don't have a gym membership but I am EXTREMELY active, Monday - outside run, free weights at home, teach kickboxing, Tuesday - kickboxing class, Wednesday - outside run, free weights at home, Thursday - advanced kickboxing and ladies kickboxing, Friday - free weights at home, Saturday outside run.

So maybe treadmill work isn't for you. And if you don't like it, you'll stop going, simple as that. You need to find something you enjoy - trail running, mountain biking, step class, dance class, belly dancing, salsa, tap dancing, kickboxing, kung fu, taekwondo, fencing, swimming, inline skating, horse riding, boxing, weight lifting, circuits, trampolining, gymnastics, squash, racket ball, tennis, badminton, hockey, lacrosse, cheerleading, ... You get the picture!

Unfortunately I live in the Bronx and there is not much outdoor activity to be found, especially in the winter months. When I lived in CT the gym I went to was awesome but this one is severly lacking and almost depressing to go into. It also doesn't offer any classes or I would most definitely try them (although anything that is synchronized is my enemy. I look like a complete idiot!)

I guess I should think about looking elsewhere, such as pilates classes or somthing to that effect. We're saving for a house right now so money is super tight, otherwise I would take a couple different classes.

Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated

I when I read this!! I was in a community theatre production of NUNSENSE where I had to tap dance...you should have seen a 300 lb woman do it!!!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

autumnah, perhaps try DVDs, I'm sure you can rent them from your library.

And yeah ok, maybe it's not such a good idea to run the streets in the Bronx!

Jen - have you heard of the Roly Polies? Check this out ---> http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/im...ow/5/5044.html they were a dance troupe of overweight women and they rocked BIG TIME, but mainly people laughed at them, that was their niche - I suppose they were a comedy act but they could kick their legs higher than most people!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote